ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile system choices JBL PRX and SRX  (Read 9232 times)

Vinny Dell'Accio

Mobile system choices JBL PRX and SRX
« on: May 19, 2018, 11:25:53 AM »

Hi,

Trying to figure out which tops are good enough for high quality sound final upgrade. Choices going from lighter to heavier and more cost. Want to buy once.

PRX835 with and without subs, thinking more flexible than 812s.  Is PRX835 as 3-way close enough to SRX choices?

SRX812 with subs underneath for lighter weight per speaker? Close enough in sound to 835?

SRX835 with and without subs, quality so much better, worth the weight?

Thanks,

Vinny

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Mobile system choices JBL PRX and SRX
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 12:42:44 PM »

Hi,

Trying to figure out which tops are good enough for high quality sound final upgrade. Choices going from lighter to heavier and more cost. Want to buy once.

PRX835 with and without subs, thinking more flexible than 812s.  Is PRX835 as 3-way close enough to SRX choices?

SRX812 with subs underneath for lighter weight per speaker? Close enough in sound to 835?

Thanks,

Vinny

Vinny , I have both PRX and SRX series speakers. However, I went with single 12's and 15's because I pretty much always use at least one sub and rarely need the low end available in a single cabinet.

It really depends what you will be using them for and whether or not you consider the extra money worth it.
For my money, and most folks here will agree that the SRX series is tough to beat in its price range. When I got mine, I was considering the SRX835 but didn't feel the dispersion angle would be as good for me. The SRX812 and 815 offers wider coverage for the shows we play PLUS of course with subs, the low end isn't a consideration for me.

The PRX series are great speakers though and might serve you well - again it depends. I have used PRX612's and PRX712's for FOH and monitors and have had very good results. However, side by side the SRX is superior in clarity, separation and overall SPL.
The SRX series is heavier than PRX and this must also be a consideration.
Also there is the better DSP and software control on the SRX.

Currently I usually use either a combination of SRX812/15 over SRX818/828 or for smaller shows I use Yamaha DSR112/PRX712 over PRX718xlf /Turbosound IQ18.

I have not used PRX835 or the SRX835 so I cannot really comment much on those cabs specifically except to say if this is really a final upgrade, you won't regret getting the SRX over the PRX and if you really need the low end sans subs - maybe the 3 way cabs are the way to go. Just my 5c.....

In addition one final thought:
The SRX815's are surprisingly good in the low end and you might find them adequate without subs for smaller shows - again it depends on your needs. It is   also a lighter option to the 835 and easier to deploy ie. pole/stand mount.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:56:36 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Vinny Dell'Accio

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »

Debbie, 

Thanks for your reply.   Hope you don't mind, I paraphrased some info from some of your posts so I want to give credit where due.  You are a big help to many.

I probably would have done exactly what you did with your speaker choices, but I think not having any powered speakers yet, I should just go for a little more money and use a SRX system.  I was thinking of a PRX710/710 over PRX715/718XLF since it is light and inexpensive for small jobs and volunteering, but to avoid expense the SRX can be used for both. 

I do have 4 Yamaha 15" Clubs, 2 JBL JRX dual 15s, and a Yamaha StagePas i400 compact 8s over a 12 for my volunteer jobs, the Yamaha is great for quick small events.  Currently, I do mostly volunteering, years back I did pro for 15 years, want to go pro again.  Typically, I would do jobs at halls, restaurants, and catering halls, occasionally outdoor events for 50-200, this October I'm doing 1000+ and just have to bring everything I have, but need big cheap subs.  The SRX 835s over 2 828s would be sufficient I bet rather than carry 3-4 pairs of speakers and possibly subs to assist my double-15s.

That leaves me with SRX812/815/835.
835s - If weight and money no object I heard the 835s are magical, great sound and loud.  The narrow dispersion I heard was not an issue for most in other forums, but like you I'm concerned coverage may not be adequate for certain room dimensions.  On the other hand, the narrow dispersion may yield more focused sound and less reflections from the walls, good for rooms that are overly reflective, little sound absorption; then outside or in very large rooms, the 835s would have more throw.  Some tend to face the 835s in to each other more, only an issue if you need uniform sound in a very wide room.

Would be great to hear from anyone who can compare  the 835s to the 812s with subs or the 815s for sound quality in the shared frequency ranges.  Also if easier to carry 2 835s vs. 812s with subs (4 speakers).

812s vs. 815s - There are so many responses that 12s have better sound or clarity than 15s.  Maybe on high-end, like SRX or DSR, this is not an issue.  The 3-way seems ideal since vocals predominantly have the dedicated midrange and beaming is totally avoided.  The 15s and 12s to a lesser extent by actual physics have beaming but using a better HF horn and DSP compensates.
If the SRX815s sound very close to the 812s for vocals, midrange, and overall clarity, might as well buy them since only 5 more pounds than the 812s.  Then they can be used solo or with subs.

Final thoughts:
The PRX710/712s over a PRX715XLF would be fairly light 36-42 lb. over 56 lb. subs.
The SRX815s with or without subs, 62 lbs. if sound quality equal to 812s.
The SRX812s over subs, 58 lbs. over 87 lb. subs (PRX 18 sub not much lighter)
The SRX835s only option that would handle 90% without subs, probably opt for 1 828 centered.  Most people if money no object would by multiple subs to keep up with tops.

If I had to buy today,  it would be either the SRX812s(vocals) vs. 815s(instruments, fuller sound, more bass), the 815s would win.  If 835 price and weight not an issue, no issue with 60 degree dispersion, the 835s would handle all types of sound, may grab the PRX710s for $400 to fill-in possible gaps close-up to stage.  If 2 818s are close to sound of 1 828, think this would be more flexible since center cluster would yield close to same SPL.

Vinny

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »

Hi,

Thanks,

Vinny

I've owned the PRX835 before and currently own the SRX 835p... Mucccccch rather have my SRX I can tell you that.  I am actually in the process of selling my 4 835p with covers and custom caster dolly if interested.  I'll PM you shortly just in case.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 07:55:58 AM »

The SRX line is pretty much the bee's knee's in any form factor. The 835 is HEAVY at 85lbs. and the 812 is also comparatively heavy at around 60lbs. The 812 is no slouch in low-end output, but obviously, the 835 will get lower and louder.

In my opinion, the 835 is kind of overkill when used with a sub. It makes the low-end output of the 835 moot and you're left with a big heavy box. The 812 has enough low end to get the point across and makes more sense when coupled with a sub. The 815 will, of course, have a little more low end than the 812, but I am not a fan of 15" speakers and again, once placed on top of a sub, you just have a large box sitting up there.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 03:37:49 PM »

The SRX line is pretty much the bee's knee's in any form factor. The 835 is HEAVY at 85lbs. and the 812 is also comparatively heavy at around 60lbs. The 812 is no slouch in low-end output, but obviously, the 835 will get lower and louder.

In my opinion, the 835 is kind of overkill when used with a sub. It makes the low-end output of the 835 moot and you're left with a big heavy box. The 812 has enough low end to get the point across and makes more sense when coupled with a sub. The 815 will, of course, have a little more low end than the 812, but I am not a fan of 15" speakers and again, once placed on top of a sub, you just have a large box sitting up there.

So what's up with all the whiny bitches about 85 lbs? That's not heavy unless you're a 3rd grader or over age 70 without helpers or mechanical devices (like a hand truck).

One would think these all have to be carried on the backs or heads of the owners, like the water carriers in 3rd world countries.

A KF850 is heavy.  A Meyer MSL-3 is heavy.  A Clair i5 or S4 is heavy.  A sled of power amps in a Solotec l'Acoustics rig is STUPID HEAVY.

I'm over 60 and still routinely move objects that are 3 times my weight; I don't know what you all are pissing about.  85 lbs is light, like the 3rd grader....

You guys need to get out and WORK for a living.

Nurse will along to get me back to the home soon.... (sorry Ron).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 04:03:23 PM »

So what's up with all the whiny bitches about 85 lbs? That's not heavy unless you're a 3rd grader or over age 70 without helpers or mechanical devices (like a hand truck).

One would think these all have to be carried on the backs or heads of the owners, like the water carriers in 3rd world countries.

A KF850 is heavy.  A Meyer MSL-3 is heavy.  A Clair i5 or S4 is heavy.  A sled of power amps in a Solotec l'Acoustics rig is STUPID HEAVY.

I'm over 60 and still routinely move objects that are 3 times my weight; I don't know what you all are pissing about.  85 lbs is light, like the 3rd grader....

You guys need to get out and WORK for a living.

Nurse will along to get me back to the home soon.... (sorry Ron).
Preach!  Weights or paid helpers exist for a reason. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 07:55:33 PM »

Silly white glovers :)

I honestly don't care if the speaker weighs 85lbs. I purchased, moved, lifted and installed, 4 X 835's!! I would just rather not if the next option weighs nearly half as much and sounds just as good :)
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 11:42:21 PM »

They are really to hard to move around.  Mine are on casters boards and I lift them 90% of the time by myself.  I'm 5'7" so getting them on the 828 is a tad odd but it's not a deal breaker by any means.  I looked at doing the 812 & 815 before but they don't give me the height I need if I set it on the 828 which doesn't have a pole mount (would be great if it had one).

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 12:25:28 AM »

Or a woman? ;)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 12:25:28 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.