ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a software DMX controller recommendation  (Read 14727 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Need a software DMX controller recommendation
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2018, 11:36:34 PM »

No worries, and hopefully you can find a simple solution for this!  I’m not a networking expert so thus can’t make any suggestions on that front, but your requirements for software aren’t difficult.  MagicQ PC and M-PC will do this.  DMXIS might also be a good choice, though verify that it can be tablet controlled (I’ve never tried it myself). 

There’s nothing inherently wrong with QLC+ either.  It just has a rather small user and developer base as you seem to already have found out, so that can sometimes prove to be troublesome or frustrating if you can’t get help for a problem that you’re having.

Hopefully Don’s suggestion will point you in the direction you’re looking for!

You surely don't put the router IP address in, you put the PC the process is running on IP address for the port connected to the router.

You need to determine the PC address by going to a command prompt (some people call ot a DOS windows)and typing ipconfig. 

You will see all the interfaces,  find the ipaddress of the pc here

Now I would never let the router assign the IP as you pointed oit it changes.  If you check on the router I bet your DHCP is set to give out addresses from 100 to 200 or some subset of that.

Open. Network connections and right click on the network adapter connected to the router.  Go to properties/ipv4 settings.  Enter this.

Address 192.168.0.10
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1
Dns 1 1.1.1.1
Dns 2 8.8.8.8

Close that out then go back to your command prompt and enter ping 192.168.0.1 if you can ping the router proceed.

Go to firewall and turn it completely off,  this is your problem.

Now reboot the computer and then restart the server (this will bind it to the new IP address)

Go to the ipad amd put the 192.168.0.10:9999 in and you will be in business.

If you turn the firewall back on you must manually open port 9999 tcp and udp up.

The reason you are not getting much support is this has nothing to do with the software,  it's basic networking.

There is an intro to networking in a sticky post here that expains basic IP.  I strongly suggest you take a look at it to take the mystery out of all of this.

The program you have usea port 9999 to comminicate.  The ip address of the computeris how other devices know where to find server..

Hope this helps....good luck

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:40:04 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2018, 02:59:03 PM »

You surely don't put the router IP address in, you put the PC the process is running on IP address for the port connected to the router.

You need to determine the PC address by going to a command prompt (some people call ot a DOS windows)and typing ipconfig...

Hi Dave,

Scott is leading in exactly the correct direction.

Setting your PC to a static IP address outside of the address range your router uses to assign DHCP addresses will simplify things for you... Otherwise, you'll need to query your PC's IP address every time you use it.

Here is my test from today.

My router's base address is 192.168.1.1
My PC's static address (assigned to the Ethernet port) is 192.168.1.132
My PC's wireless adapter is set to be assigned an address from the DHCP pool. As I'm testing in our family room, the DHCP assigned address for my PC just now is 192.168.1.124.

I installed QLC+ on my laptop(running Windows7), created a shortcut to the application with the -w flag (C:\QLC+\qlcplus.exe -w) and started the application.

From one of our iPads on the same network (DHCP assigned address of 192.168.1.96) I brought up the Safari browser.

In the Safari address bar, I typed in 192.168.1.124:9999

I immediately connected.

I hope this example helps.

Bes regards,
Bob Charest

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:02:32 PM by Bob Charest »

dave milton

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2018, 04:41:30 PM »

Hey folks (especially Scott and Bob with those last two posts) -
Thanks SO much for your help.  I'm at work right now, and probably won't be able to implement your suggestions for another day or two, but I'm pretty confident that you've steered me in the right direction now.  I'm excited to get this worked out.

I do realize that this is a "basic" networking issue, and I also realize (as I acknowledged in my original post) that I'm pretty much a networking-idiot....which is the reason I posted here looking for help from those of you that aren't.  I'm glad you are here, and very much appreciate your help.

It just happens that I also got some more substantive response in my post on the QLC+ forum now as well.  It looks like there's also some good info there.

Now I can try making this work with a bit better footing than the "try this again the same way over and over" approach that has failed me thus far.  I'll let you know how it works as soon as I can dive back in (sometime in the next couple days).

cheers, d.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »

That’s great, Dave - Glad to help.

I’ve been fortunate to benefit from the knowledge and assistance available here, so I’m happy to help someone else.

Let us know how things turn out, OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave milton

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2018, 09:42:34 PM »

My router's base address is 192.168.1.1
My PC's static address (assigned to the Ethernet port) is 192.168.1.132
My PC's wireless adapter is set to be assigned an address from the DHCP pool. As I'm testing in our family room, the DHCP assigned address for my PC just now is 192.168.1.124.

(snip)

In the Safari address bar, I typed in 192.168.1.124:9999

Ok, I'm a little confused here....need a bit of clarification.
You say your PC's static address is 132.
But then that the wireless adapter assigned from DHCP is 124.

Aren't I supposed to be using the PC's static address?  (meaning shouldn't I be connecting to 192.168.1.132:9999 in this instance)?  If not, why did I set my PC's address to static? 

d.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2018, 11:50:15 PM »

Aren't I supposed to be using the PC's static address?  (meaning shouldn't I be connecting to 192.168.1.132:9999 in this instance)?  If not, why did I set my PC's address to static? 

d.
Your PC has two interfaces in the same network?  That will never work.

Turn off the wireless.  Turn off the firewall.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2018, 08:03:56 AM »

d.

Dave,

When my laptop is being used in the rehearsal space to control our Midas M32 mixer I use the wired interface with the wireless turned off. In that case I would use 192.168.1.132:9999.

When I'm using the laptop in the living room not connected to an Ethernet cable, I turn the wireless adapter on. That was the case when I was replying to your post which is why I used the 192.168.1.124:9999 address.

Bottom line for you: Yes, use the wired interface with the static address for your laptop running QLC+.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

PS: One can set a wireless interface to a static IP, but that defeats the portability of the device, as you may not always be on your own network.

dave milton

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2018, 08:24:42 PM »

Problem solved...I'm up and running.

And yes (as expected) it was really a fairly simple fix.

This is what made the whole struggle for me so frustrating....I KNEW it had to be something relatively basic and straightforward, which SHOULD have been easy for me to solve, but I just wasn't getting it.  Urggh!

Luckily, as I hoped, I figured someone here would see the problem quick clearly and give me the guidance needed.  You folks (and Scott specifically) helped out, and fulfilled the purpose of a forum and community like this one.  THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge and experience, for helping me learn, and of course for guiding me to fix this particular issue.

So, it really was a matter of making my IP address (of the laptop) static, and shutting off the firewall completely.  Then it all worked quite easily, and as it should.  Sweet.  Turning off the firewall sounds a bit scary, but honestly the ONLY time I will be connected to the internet will be to download software or something, and for those times I will simply turn the firewall on while connected to the web.  Any other time, and ALL the time I will use this laptop "in public" I will not be connected to the web, and my network itself will be password protected, so no real need for the firewall.  I feel plenty safe. 

As to the original purpose of this thread.....it looks like QLC+ (along with an ENTTEC USBPRO which I bought) does what I need and want.  The main program itself seems to do everything I want just fine, I REALLY like being able to customize the Virtual Console, and the remote control works as I was looking for.  That remote control IS a bit "rough" and cludgy, sure, but it does what I need.  I certainly would not want to use it as my main control surface, but that isn't what I was looking for anyway.  It fills the purpose I wanted it to just fine.

I've already programmed a couple of practice scenes, fixtures, and such, and I've been trying them out virtually (not actually hooked up to a full rig yet).  I've been trying a few "what if I wanted to do this?" scenarios and I'm generally able to figure them out with no problem.  I'm pretty sure I've found my system.

thanks again, 
d.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2018, 08:36:45 PM »

And yes (as expected) it was really a fairly simple fix.

This is what made the whole struggle for me so frustrating....I KNEW it had to be something relatively basic and straightforward, which SHOULD have been easy for me to solve, but I just wasn't getting it.  Urggh!

Luckily, as I hoped, I figured someone here would see the problem quick clearly and give me the guidance needed.  You folks (and Scott specifically) helped out, and fulfilled the purpose of a forum and community like this one.  THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge and experience, for helping me learn, and of course for guiding me to fix this particular issue.

So, it really was a matter of making my IP address (of the laptop) static, and shutting off the firewall completely.  Then it all worked quite easily, and as it should.  Sweet.  Turning off the firewall sounds a bit scary, but honestly the ONLY time I will be connected to the internet will be to download software or something, and for those times I will simply turn the firewall on while connected to the web.  Any other time, and ALL the time I will use this laptop "in public" I will not be connected to the web, and my network itself will be password protected, so no real need for the firewall.  I feel plenty safe. 

As to the original purpose of this thread.....it looks like QLC+ (along with an ENTTEC USBPRO which I bought) does what I need and want.  The main program itself seems to do everything I want just fine, I REALLY like being able to customize the Virtual Console, and the remote control works as I was looking for.  That remote control IS a bit "rough" and cludgy, sure, but it does what I need.  I certainly would not want to use it as my main control surface, but that isn't what I was looking for anyway.  It fills the purpose I wanted it to just fine.

I've already programmed a couple of practice scenes, fixtures, and such, and I've been trying them out virtually (not actually hooked up to a full rig yet).  I've been trying a few "what if I wanted to do this?" scenarios and I'm generally able to figure them out with no problem.  I'm pretty sure I've found my system.

thanks again, 
d.

Glad you got it fixed.  With a static address, you can now add a firewall rule allowing TCP and UDP 9999 in from that interface/address if you wanted to beef the security back up.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2018, 12:48:32 AM »

Glad to hear you got everything working.  Best of luck with the project!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2018, 12:48:32 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 25 queries.