ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Sound: The Thorn In Every Sound Tech’s Side—House Volume  (Read 2176 times)

M. Erik Matlock

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Editor Live Sound International/ProSoundWeb
    • M. Erik Matlock on PSW

Church Sound: The Thorn In Every Sound Tech’s Side—House Volume Level
The challenge to balance "too loud" against "not loud enough"
By Chris Huff • September 18, 2018

If ever there was a thorn in the side of a sound tech, it would be one labeled VOLUME.

A couple of days ago, I talked about balancing the stage volume with house volume.

But that’s not the volume thorn I’m discussing. I’m talking about the right house volume level.

My favorite volume story comes from a sound tech working a concert. A person came up to the sound booth and said “it’s too loud” and another person walked up after them and said “it’s not loud enough.”

He looked at both of the people and said, “You two talk it over and let me know what you want me to do.”

Funny story, but it really describes the nature of setting the proper house volume...

Continue reading here: https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/church/church_sound_the_proverbial_thorn_in_every_sound_techs_side_-_house_volume/
Train the next generation. Success without a successor is ultimately failure. wywu.org

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Re: Church Sound: The Thorn In Every Sound Tech’s Side—House Volume
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »

I was attending a funeral at another church.  I was a visitor, not running anything. Another visitor recognized me as a sound guy and came up and complained about the volume.  I looked down at my hands in amazement to confirm that there was no board there and when I recovered enough I realized I was off the clock and said "I LIKE it."

Not to Code

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »

Our church believes in a strong pastoral leadership (not a topic for discussion-we have a leader not a dictator) as such I only have to please one person when mixing-keep everyone happy is his problem-I like that a LOT!

The local political party I spend some time with has a disproportionate number of "sound guys"-you'd think that would lead to conflict at events-except that time is donated and most of us are happy to let the other guy have the headache-so sound is always great :)
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.