ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: My shootout: behringer XR18 vs soundcraft Ui24R vs Allen & Heath QU-SB  (Read 30952 times)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: My shootout: behringer XR18 vs soundcraft Ui24R vs Allen & Heath QU-SB
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2018, 09:16:23 AM »

Based on my experience...  Soundcraft for the win...  really 3rd party apps ?
That attitude is a bit like the "no open source" view that many corporate IT clients take, where a paid application must be better than a free one.

In the end, if an app works well and is well supported, that's far more important to me than who's provided it.  And vendors to have pretty poor track records in updating their apps.  Soundcraft have been good at updating their firmware/app for the UI24 so far - the same can't be said for the UI12/16 which left users in the lurch for a long time before an update made things less bad.  And they were always iPad only for their VI/SI desks, which sucked.

Jay Marr

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2018, 09:33:51 AM »

Based on my experience...  Soundcraft for the win...  really 3rd party apps ?

Yes, and thank god!

Behringer/Midas/A&H don't have to hire an Android Dev Team because David G. is building their apps for them = Lower Cost to build/support the products.

Gary Weller

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2018, 10:36:14 AM »

Soundcaft's app for the Si is in terrible need of updating, It's fine for what it does, but it doesn't do much of anything compared to Behringer and the rest (haven't used Yamaha's).

You can't access the FX controls or even a tap tempo button. When I have to use an Si desk, I usually stay at the desk after walking the room with the app to tweak.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2018, 12:28:53 PM »

Here's my occasional call for all Soundcraft SI users to ask Dave at Dev-Core to develop a Mix Station version for us!
I'd pay $100 for it.  I'm happy to pay more than $10 for a tool that took a jillion hours of development, and help me make a living.
The UI app is so useful, it reminds me how awful ViSi is.
SC hasn't even updated their firmware for a year or two.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »

+1

I'd hoped the acquisition of the Ui line would have a (positive) domino effect on the Si/Vi software.  No such luck  :( .

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Gary Weller

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2018, 01:51:17 PM »

Here's my occasional call for all Soundcraft SI users to ask Dave at Dev-Core to develop a Mix Station version for us!
I'd pay $100 for it.  I'm happy to pay more than $10 for a tool that took a jillion hours of development, and help me make a living.
SC hasn't even updated their firmware for a year or two.

I requested that when he had a poll on which new desk to make an app for about a year ago, guess there wasn't enough requests for it.

While I don't own an Si desk, the band I mix for does so I use theirs instead of bringing out my desk.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 01:53:30 PM by Gary Weller »

Mal Brown

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2018, 06:52:27 PM »

not really sure why the SI Expression desk and app are here but whatever... I own a 1 and a 3 and mini stage box.  Love the desks, hate the app.  Which has nothing to do with the rest of this thread.   

I really don’t see how maintaing 2 source code libraries make a product less expensive, easier/faster to maintain.  Written by a subcontractor or not.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2018, 08:14:14 PM »

I really don’t see how maintaing 2 source code libraries make a product less expensive, easier/faster to maintain.  Written by a subcontractor or not.

Who cares if there is 1, 2 or even 10 program interfaces ?  OEM's or 3rd party's? 
All I care is that at least one of them works the way I like....and really, the more choices the better.
Thank goodness when a platform is in circulation enough to draw 3rd party developer's programs, especially when OEM interfaces come up short.
Plus, Who's going to bother to maintain interfaces they don't use?...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2018, 10:43:10 PM »

Who cares if there is 1, 2 or even 10 program interfaces ?  OEM's or 3rd party's? 
All I care is that at least one of them works the way I like....and really, the more choices the better.
Thank goodness when a platform is in circulation enough to draw 3rd party developer's programs, especially when OEM interfaces come up short.

I am tossed between the simplicity of the IOS x32 interface and the customized layers of the MSP/Android app for x/m32.  I have seen almost all the apps and to me it is well known and very stable.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:51:08 AM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mal Brown

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2018, 11:11:28 AM »

My point is to the manufacturer, not the end user.  For the manf, it is more expensive to maintain separate source code trees ( required when supporting multiple OS’s) than a single.  That necessarily spreads your development resources out.  Some development is focused on new features but some is focused simply on changes in the OS so your device isn’t stranded in one release of the OS or another...  so the app approach comes along with non-feature related development that has to be done- which adds no real value to the end user, other than device compatibility.

The beauty of Soundcraft’s approach is a single source code base is supporting many multiple devices and OS’s.  All you need is html 5 browser support...   That let’s SC be more responsive to the end users feature requests - which on the UI 24 they have been to date... from a software development and Product Management point of view it’s brilliant

I also hoped that Danny Olesh and his development team would be able to work on the ViSI app and whip into shape.  For the most part all we use it for is ringing out monitors and roughing in monitor mixes. I personally would take the SI boards out more often if that app was better as I like mixing on glass and wandering... doubtful that Samsung/Harmon will allow that to happen.  Also doubtful that the shortcomings of the UI 12 and 16 boards will be addressed.  Those were purchased by SC and while the 24 has some physical similarities, under the hood it’s a completely new box from my understanding.  Hard to see and ROI for them there.  They bought the concept and ran with it...

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2018, 11:11:28 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 27 queries.