ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: My shootout: behringer XR18 vs soundcraft Ui24R vs Allen & Heath QU-SB  (Read 30945 times)

Mal Brown

Re: My shootout: behringer XR18 vs soundcraft Ui24R vs Allen & Heath QU-SB
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »

Friday evening I got to mix on a Behringer X18 - Standard software on an Android tablet.   Color me not impressed.  The UI’s of the Mackie  DL and Soundcraft UI are so much easier to navigate...

That said, the sound quality was fine.  Mains were QSC KQ-12’s over 181’s which I am very familiar with.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:47:29 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Bolt

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »

Friday evening I got to mix on a Behringer X18 - Standard software on an Android tablet.   Color me not impressed.  The UI’s of the Mackie  DL and Soundcraft UI are so much easier to navigate...

That said, the sound quality was fine.  Mains were QSC KQ-12’s over 181’s which I am very familiar with.
My bass player has an XR18 and I have an X32 Rack.  I find that the X32 apps are much more friendly ..... but then again, I have spent more time on them so my opinion may be biased.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »

I ordered my Ui24 Thursday and received it Friday. Showed up in a generic box, foamed in place with nothing but a power cable.

Unit looks new and seems to work OK, will start running signal through it Monday.

That's what I get for being too busy to check this forum on a daily basis  :( .  Let me know if you see that deal again. 

On a slight tangent, what has been the group's experience with ordering "open box", "customer returned" or "reconditioned" products from PSSL?  I ask because I'd ordered such a Gator case for my Souncraft Impact from PSSL.  They estimated a shipping date one week beyond the purchase date, which seemed odd if it was taking up shelf space, processed my payment then, one month later - without explanation - cancelled my order and refunded my money.  No response to my inquiry for an explanation.

Not a good way to begin a relationship...

Dave
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2018, 03:47:56 PM »

Mixing Station, right?  It may not be pretty, and in its default configuration it's a little uninspiring.  The real power comes in the customisation of layouts and layers - this isn't immediately obvious, and takes a while to get into.  Once mastered, Mixing Station can become a really comfortable solution.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2018, 05:03:06 PM »

Mixing Station is a separate app from the M Air software?

I saw there were a few other control options. Wishing for one to work on my iPhone in a pinch when the iPad goes down.

Mixing Station, right?  It may not be pretty, and in its default configuration it's a little uninspiring.  The real power comes in the customisation of layouts and layers - this isn't immediately obvious, and takes a while to get into.  Once mastered, Mixing Station can become a really comfortable solution.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2018, 07:22:31 PM »

Mixing Station is a separate app from the M Air software?

I saw there were a few other control options. Wishing for one to work on my iPhone in a pinch when the iPad goes down.
Yup, in the Play Store, the official "X AIR" app is rather old and crusty.  The developer continued it independently as "Mixing Station X Air" - much better.  The free version is great, but the £5 cost for the Pro version is money very well spent.

I believe the Apple app is only for iPad and not iPhone.  But, as I don't do iStuff, I can't be 100% sure of that.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2018, 07:26:19 PM »

Yeah the Apple app only works on iPad, which I get caught out by from time to time when my tablet dies. Would love to be able to jump on the phone for backup purposes or on long shows.

OTOH, this has occasionally provided excellent learning opportunities for my helper dude.

Yup, in the Play Store, the official "X AIR" app is rather old and crusty.  The developer continued it independently as "Mixing Station X Air" - much better.  The free version is great, but the £5 cost for the Pro version is money very well spent.

I believe the Apple app is only for iPad and not iPhone.  But, as I don't do iStuff, I can't be 100% sure of that.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2018, 08:31:51 PM »

I wondered why the 2 apps were so similar - this explains it - thanks.
I agree - the PRO version is really worth the upgrade for all the customizing features it offers.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mal Brown

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2018, 12:50:02 AM »

Based on my experience...  Soundcraft for the win...  really 3rd party apps ?
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2018, 01:48:13 AM »

Based on my experience...  Soundcraft for the win...  really 3rd party apps ?

In the case of the X/M ecosystem, yes.  Developer David Giga created Mixing Station; it was better than Behringer's app and the base version was free.  For ~$5 the Pro version gets you more layers and more customization than possible in the other versions.

David is responsive to user bug reports and solicits user input and experiences to guide feature development in his apps.  I think Behringer put most of their software efforts into the X/M32 Edit for PC and Mac and left the Android app market to him (intentionally or not).  Behringer still has a monitor mixing app.

David also has Mixing Station for Allen-Heath's Qu and GLD mixers, too.  I admit that 3rd party development in audio control apps isn't common, but it's begin done.

BTW, if the Ui24 didn't use a web browser y'all would be waiting on Soundcraft to develop a fully functional app for it...  App development seems to be a software bottleneck for some manufacturers:  look how long it takes Yamaha to write suitable apps... or Avid Venue - no app, you use telnet to remote control the host (console) computer.   Just sayin'... 8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2018, 01:48:13 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.