ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: My shootout: behringer XR18 vs soundcraft Ui24R vs Allen & Heath QU-SB  (Read 30801 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: My shootout: behringer XR18 vs soundcraft Ui24R vs Allen & Heath QU-SB
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2018, 01:30:41 AM »

If you want a look at what I do today. Hit YouTube and check out the Insitu ScanEagle...  I guarantee it will be entertaining...

Insitu! Holy crap. I hung out with those guys when they were developing their first UAS here in Menlo Park (adjacent to Palo Alto, where I still am) before they moved to Hood River, and long before they sold to Boeing. Must have been mid '90s. That led to my doing a control systems gig at Abe Karem's Frontier Systems, which, oddly, led to doing the motorized faders on Digidesign's (now Avid's) first live sound board. I'm still in touch with one of the original Insitu guys, Siggy. Small world stuff. Apologies. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Marc Sibilia

• Princeton, New Jersey
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2018, 02:22:36 AM »

Insitu! Holy crap. ... I'm still in touch with one of the original Insitu guys, Siggy. Small world stuff. Apologies. --Frank
Double small world.  I worked with Siggy at Aurora, and Tad McGeer and I had the same adviser in grad school. 

More on topic, I am finding the interface on the Ui24R very intuitive (I haven't read the manual yet.  Only question I have is whether mine has something other than the default admin password, because I can't seem to get into the network setup yet.  I may have to do a hard reset.

Marc
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:29:06 AM by Marc Sibilia »

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2018, 03:45:24 AM »

Default admin credentials are:

UN: admin
PW: admin

That didn't work on mine so I did a network reset and it went back to default. Didn't need to do the full reset with the USB stick trick. . .

Double small world.  I worked with Siggy at Aurora, and Tad McGeer and I had the same adviser in grad school. 

More on topic, I am finding the interface on the Ui24R very intuitive (I haven't read the manual yet.  Only question I have is whether mine has something other than the default admin password, because I can't seem to get into the network setup yet.  I may have to do a hard reset.

Marc
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 03:57:29 AM by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »

For those of you who have used both the Soundcraft and Master Fader on a DL32R, how does the Soundcraft app compare?  I'm quite happy with Master Fader, but for comparison, have only used the XR-18 app, which I feel is less mature.
Remember, the XR18 has different apps for different platforms, each with completely different interfaces.  The Windows and Android apps are superb and very functional, the iPad app rather less so.

Roy Curet

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »

I'm thinking about a UI24. Has anyone used one with a large touch screen connected by HDMI?

Mal Brown

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2018, 02:09:06 PM »

I'm thinking about a UI24. Has anyone used one with a large touch screen connected by HDMI?

Folks in the Facebook group do it.  When I was looking at hdmi touch screens, a win 10 AMD based Dell All in One was basically $100 to $150 more.  I did that.  I like it a lot.  The direct connected hdmi is lower resolution and doesn’t support all the display modes as a result.  Which for many uses is probably fine.  I wanted higher resolution and more open browsers though.

For sound co dates I have the Dell tethered via a 100’ cat5 cable at FOH.  On band dates, I typically just use the iPad as I’m playing bass- same display as you would have on the hdmi touch screen.

I play mostly small rooms and when it’s larger I have one of my FOH guys mix so I can focus on playing and singing and frankly enjoying the large stage experience, revenue be damned ;-)

So depending on your usage, you could be a happy camper with either approach.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:24:46 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mal Brown

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2018, 02:31:37 PM »

Frank and Marc- How about that.  There’s a few of the old timers (Hood River old timers that is) still around.  Tad’s house burned in a fire a few years back.  He lived about a mile up the hill.  Wind in a different direction it would have been mine...   He rebuilt and I believe it is the property of his ex now...  we don’t travel in the same circles.  So neighborhood set is all I hear.  Reference John Prine “ In a town this size” ;-)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2018, 02:41:17 PM »

With an iPad there is a way to add the UI page to your home screen and make it full screen on your tablet. I am much happier now that I have done that and can launch the UI software like an app from my home screen.

Open ui.io in IOS Safari
Select share from the upper right menu
Select 'add to home screen'

and you're done.

There's also a way to do it on android, but I didn't read that one.

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2018, 07:20:28 PM »

Frank and Marc- How about that.  There’s a few of the old timers (Hood River old timers that is) still around.  Tad’s house burned in a fire a few years back.  He lived about a mile up the hill.  Wind in a different direction it would have been mine...   He rebuilt and I believe it is the property of his ex now...  we don’t travel in the same circles.  So neighborhood set is all I hear.  Reference John Prine “ In a town this size” ;-)

I think I saw the effects of that fire when I drove up the Columbia Gorge last January. I'm sure Tad had some interesting historical items related to Insitu and other projects and hope that not too much was lost. Here I recall it was Siggy, Mimi, Guppy, Amy, the dog (whose name also ended in "y"), and Tad. I lost track of Guppy, but always expect to see him pop up in Aviation Week. Tad certainly has. Pretty amazing group of folks, and I was so fortunate to get to know them for a while. Thanks for jogging the memories. Back to the regular scheduled programming. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Mal Brown

« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2018, 02:56:27 AM »

What you saw was the results of the Eagle Creek Fire.  That happened about a year ago and was some scary stuff.  Then Santa Rosa happened and what we had felt like small potatos...   the fire that took Tad’s place was a few years back.  I have some pretty good video of a bold max pilot,working it... there are old pilots, bold pilots but no old bold pilots...  the kmax guys are a breed apart... crazy mofo!
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2018, 02:56:27 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.