ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: My shootout: behringer XR18 vs soundcraft Ui24R vs Allen & Heath QU-SB  (Read 30961 times)

Jay Marr

Re: My shootout: behringer XR18 vs soundcraft Ui24R vs Allen & Heath QU-SB
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »

I am tossed between the simplicity of the IOS x32 interface and the customized layers of the IOS app for x/m32.  I have seen almost all the apps and to me it is well known and very stable.

This caught my eye.  Are there customizable layers in the IOS app for X32?  (hoping that is the case and I have just never recognized that feature)
Or did you mean the Android app?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »

My point is to the manufacturer, not the end user.  For the manf, it is more expensive to maintain separate source code trees ( required when supporting multiple OS’s) than a single.  That necessarily spreads your development resources out.  Some development is focused on new features but some is focused simply on changes in the OS so your device isn’t stranded in one release of the OS or another...  so the app approach comes along with non-feature related development that has to be done- which adds no real value to the end user, other than device compatibility.

The beauty of Soundcraft’s approach is a single source code base is supporting many multiple devices and OS’s.  All you need is html 5 browser support...   That let’s SC be more responsive to the end users feature requests - which on the UI 24 they have been to date... from a software development and Product Management point of view it’s brilliant

I also hoped that Danny Olesh and his development team would be able to work on the ViSI app and whip into shape.  For the most part all we use it for is ringing out monitors and roughing in monitor mixes. I personally would take the SI boards out more often if that app was better as I like mixing on glass and wandering... doubtful that Samsung/Harmon will allow that to happen.  Also doubtful that the shortcomings of the UI 12 and 16 boards will be addressed.  Those were purchased by SC and while the 24 has some physical similarities, under the hood it’s a completely new box from my understanding.  Hard to see and ROI for them there.  They bought the concept and ran with it...

Behringer does not maintain the source code for Mixing Station, it's the property of David G.  They have licensed some code from him for us in their own apps, IIRC, but they neither own nor maintain it.

What's up with the push back, Mal?  I agree that manufacturers have the best opportunity to write apps to control their products but we can see that for whatever reasons, almost EVERY SINGLE MANUFACTURER does a pretty lousy job of it.

I'm happy David G wrote mixing station and continues to improve it.  The twits at Soundcraft, Avid and other big-gun manufacturers are inexplicable in their failure to write effective control apps or, in the case of Avid, write them at all.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2018, 11:51:24 AM »

This caught my eye.  Are there customizable layers in the IOS app for X32?  (hoping that is the case and I have just never recognized that feature)
Or did you mean the Android app?

Yes, late night typo fixed.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Garris

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »

Those were purchased by SC and while the 24 has some physical similarities, under the hood it’s a completely new box from my understanding. 

Can you elaborate on that for me? I recall reading something about this a year ago on these forums, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2018, 08:27:49 AM »

You can't access the FX controls or even a tap tempo button. When I have to use an Si desk, I usually stay at the desk after walking the room with the app to tweak.

Damn, they haven't improved that?  That is one of the main reasons I still use my Presonus RM16 more than my Impact.  I was hoping the UI 24 might be a good choice for more channels than the Presonus, but I don't know.....

Tom Burgess

« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »

Can you elaborate on that for me? I recall reading something about this a year ago on these forums, but I couldn't find it in a search.
Harman purchased the Ui series / concept from an Aussie company called SM Pro Audio.

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1062989-REG/sm_pro_audio_umix_16_digital_mixer.html

If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
My shootout: behringer XR18 vs soundcraft Ui24R vs Allen & Heath QU-SB
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2018, 06:04:32 PM »

I have been playing with the UIR24 interface for over an hour. I like it but is there no way to delay the L/R outputs?  I see how to delay the aux outputs but if there's no way to delay the mains back to the back line I don't want it.

EDIT- Nevermind a little RTFM solved it.

Seriously considering replacing my 5 year old dl1608 now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:54:10 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2018, 12:01:35 AM »

On a slight tangent, what has been the group's experience with ordering "open box", "customer returned" or "reconditioned" products from PSSL? 
6 months ago I ordered a refurb Mackie DC16 Control Surface (Axis) from PSSL, and it has worked out really well for me.  The Dante connection has saved me more than once this summer in congested areas where the Wi-Fi was almost unusable.

For those of you who have used both the Soundcraft and Master Fader on a DL32R, how does the Soundcraft app compare?  I'm quite happy with Master Fader, but for comparison, have only used the XR-18 app, which I feel is less mature.
Colorado Springs, CO

Mal Brown

« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2018, 12:39:23 AM »

Behringer does not maintain the source code for Mixing Station, it's the property of David G.  They have licensed some code from him for us in their own apps, IIRC, but they neither own nor maintain it.

What's up with the push back, Mal?  I agree that manufacturers have the best opportunity to write apps to control their products but we can see that for whatever reasons, almost EVERY SINGLE MANUFACTURER does a pretty lousy job of it.

I'm happy David G wrote mixing station and continues to improve it.  The twits at Soundcraft, Avid and other big-gun manufacturers are inexplicable in their failure to write effective control apps or, in the case of Avid, write them at all.

Tim, the deal for me is that for the Ui-24,Soundcraft has basically hit it out of the park.  Ok, they bought the concept... but they leveraged the great software concept with Sc’s undeniable sound quality in hardware.  Then they got out of the way and Ltd Danny Olesh and team execute.  And execute they have... Do I wish they could permute the ui software to my investment is SI... oh man...

(My SI 3 is on Reverb...)

So my day gig is software.  Has been since the early 80’s.  I’ve been the equity stake, product manager, project manager, Support Manager, implementation guy and at times coder...  Soundcraft’s approach to this generation is truly next level design.  It was a smart buy...  not getting in the way of innovation ?  Even smarter...

If you want a look at what I do today. Hit YouTube and check out the Insitu ScanEagle...  I guarantee it will be entertaining...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mal Brown

« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2018, 12:46:49 AM »

6 months ago I ordered a refurb Mackie DC16 Control Surface (Axis) from PSSL, and it has worked out really well for me.  The Dante connection has saved me more than once this summer in congested areas where the Wi-Fi was almost unusable.

For those of you who have used both the Soundcraft and Master Fader on a DL32R, how does the Soundcraft app compare?  I'm quite happy with Master Fader, but for comparison, have only used the XR-18 app, which I feel is less mature.

Master Fader is my second favorite control app...  A browser connected to UI -24 is First...  a ton more power.  I sold my dL-1608 about a year ago so I’m out of touch...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2018, 12:46:49 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.