ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: My shootout: behringer XR18 vs soundcraft Ui24R vs Allen & Heath QU-SB  (Read 30805 times)

Jon Brunskill

Hi all,

I recently got hold of these three consoles so I could try them out and choose which one to buy. Thought I'd share it in case anyone else is trying to choose between these three

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZH6nyOjxjU&t=2s&frags=pl%2Cwn

Cheers,

Jon

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: My shootout: behringer XR18 vs soundcraft Ui24R vs Allen & Heath QU-SB
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 11:29:06 PM »

Hi all,

I recently got hold of these three consoles so I could try them out and choose which one to buy. Thought I'd share it in case anyone else is trying to choose between these three

Cheers,

Jon

Just watched your video.
The QU SB can not be used as a stage box in the sense of using it as an external input source for other QU series mixers like you would use a AR2412 or a AB168.
I would be very handy to be able to do that though.

For what it's worth I have a QU Pac and both an AR2412 and AB168.

Jon Brunskill

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 12:07:46 AM »

Just watched your video.
The QU SB can not be used as a stage box in the sense of using it as an external input source for other QU series mixers like you would use a AR2412 or a AB168.
I would be very handy to be able to do that though.

For what it's worth I have a QU Pac and both an AR2412 and AB168.

Thanks for that, I thought for some reason it could pass through to the QU mixers. I could see it being a great stage box and monitor mixer set up like that. The QU-Pac does look like a great solution, but I decided to save the extra money and put it towards the rest of the system I'm building up

Mal Brown

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 12:50:07 AM »

From an software standpoint, to me the UI-24 is a superior product.  See, the ui-24 is a web server.  That means Browser... no app.  Why is that important ?  Every time the board manufacturer drops a firmware update for the A&H, Mackie, B-Box, Presonus, etc... there will be a new app.  Will the app run on your OS ?  Maybe, maybe not...  I got stung a few times with Presonus and Mackie...  with the UI-24, update the firmware and connect.  As long as your Browser supports html 5, you are good to go.  Brilliant!

The ui-24 also sounds great.  It hangs tough with my SI Expression rigs.  I actually prefer mixing on a Dell 21.5” all in one pc with win 10 hard cabled to a wireless router, with the UI-24 hard cabled as well.  We wander with iPads for some of the show but... the big screen is fun to mix on.

Hint.... on the big screen. Open and size multiple browsers.  There is a setting that forces them to follow each other for channel selection...  I set one small one to EQ, another to Aux Contributions.  The main mix is on the bottom with 22 channels exposed.  Select the kick on the bottom and the other windows follow the kick.  So kick Eq and Kick monitor contributions... all in one view of 3 browser Windows...pretty darn cool!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:40:26 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 06:02:41 AM »

Very timely, I was pondering these very items this evening.

Hi all,

Cheers,

Jon
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:26:18 AM »

From an software standpoint, to me the UI-24 is a superior product.  See, the ui-24 is a web server.  That means Browser... no app.  Why is that important ?  Every time the board manufacturer drops a firmware update for the A&H, Mackie, B-Box, Presonus, etc... there will be a new app.  Will the app run on your OS ?  Maybe, maybe not...  I got stung a few times with Presonus and Mackie...  with the UI-24, update the firmware and connect.  As long as your Browser supports html 5, you are good to go.  Brilliant!
The web server software doesn't make it de facto superior - just different.  Haven't people been burnt with incompatible browsers - including after an apparently innocuous browser update?

In the end, there's no clear winner with any of these boxes, as it all depends on your own criteria.  If the UI24R delivers on it's supposed forthcoming ability to cascade two devices to give double the capacity, then that's a winning expandability in this sector.

Then again, for me the flexibility of the Mixing Station app, and the price, make the XR18 unbeatable for my small event requirements.  In the end, it's all personal - I just wish I'd known about the lightweight cardboard edition...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:42:21 AM by Alec Spence »

Scott Slater

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 07:06:37 AM »

From an software standpoint, to me the UI-24 is a superior product.

I really like the idea of an HTML5 based product.  I think other manufacturers should consider this route in the future.  I currently own a Q-Pac and really like it, but was forced to mix a festival type event featuring 5 bands on it this past weekend.  I brought one of our GLD consoles planning to use it, but when we arrived there was no place in to set it up, and it was an area with lots of sand.  For this reason I opted to use the Q-Pac instead, and it worked fine, but I had to use several tablets since the event was so long.  Charging 2 while using one.   I only have 3 iPads and 2 are older models.  For this reason, I have not updated the firmware on the Q-Pac in the past year.  I want to know that it's going to work when I use it, and I have a feeling that if I go to the newest iOS and firmware, that my 2 older tablets will become obsolete.

I just ordered a Ui24R which will give me more devices to be able to work on without having to worry about them becoming obsolete as quickly.  I also like the idea that it can (supposedly) multi-track record directly to a USB stick, and can play break music from a stick using mp3 format.

-Scott

Taylor Hall

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 09:18:05 AM »

In the end, there's no clear winner with any of these boxes, as it all depends on your own criteria.  If the UI24R delivers on it's supposed forthcoming ability to cascade two devices to give double the capacity, then that's a winning expandability in this sector.

I'll be interested to see if any other companies in the digital mixer realm copy this feature. It's kind of a shame that the ui24 doesn't have any kind of expansion slot for AES/Dante/MADI/etc like other rackmounts, it would really make this the device to beat, even if it added a couple hundred bucks to the price.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Mal Brown

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »

The web server software doesn't make it de facto superior - just different.  Haven't people been burnt with incompatible browsers - including after an apparently innocuous browser update?

Not with html5 compatibility... it is something of a standard and should be around for a long time to come.  There is a lot of industrial strength thin client software out there based on html 5 that is in the hundreds of dollars per seat category...   cad viewers (not cad workstation of course), manufacturing, ERP - yeah, my day gig is spent in that arena working with PDM and PLM products.

The Ui-24 has had 2 firmware updates since it’s release with another imminent (supporting cascading boxes) and left no one behind...   I rarely made it through 1 firmware update with either of my 16.4.2 or dl-1608 boards with all connecting devices intact.

Basing the UI on html5 also

1.keeps the App Store out of the distribution loop
2.keeps the developers in one dev environment so they can focus on feature set and reliability and still addresses multiple OS devices.
3.  One dev team to manage, not one per OS (writing for iOS is nothing like writing for Windows. Android oS I have stayed away from due to it’s lack of standards, at least early on).

The translates into Soundcraft being able to deliver a high reliability product and react to customer demand faster at the same time...  which they have basically proven at this point,and will cement with the next release.

My biggest gripe...  that the Ui based software hasn’t been adopted on the SI Expression platform and it is not likely it could be...
(Yes, I suppose I have drunk the Ui 24 Kool-Aid ;-)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Garris

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 05:00:41 PM »

Not with html5 compatibility... it is something of a standard and should be around for a long time to come.  There is a lot of industrial strength thin client software out there based on html 5 that is in the hundreds of dollars per seat category...   cad viewers (not cad workstation of course), manufacturing, ERP - yeah, my day gig is spent in that arena working with PDM and PLM products.

The Ui-24 has had 2 firmware updates since it’s release with another imminent (supporting cascading boxes) and left no one behind...   I rarely made it through 1 firmware update with either of my 16.4.2 or dl-1608 boards with all connecting devices intact.

Basing the UI on html5 also

1.keeps the App Store out of the distribution loop
2.keeps the developers in one dev environment so they can focus on feature set and reliability and still addresses multiple OS devices.
3.  One dev team to manage, not one per OS (writing for iOS is nothing like writing for Windows. Android oS I have stayed away from due to it’s lack of standards, at least early on).

The translates into Soundcraft being able to deliver a high reliability product and react to customer demand faster at the same time...  which they have basically proven at this point,and will cement with the next release.

My biggest gripe...  that the Ui based software hasn’t been adopted on the SI Expression platform and it is not likely it could be...
(Yes, I suppose I have drunk the Ui 24 Kool-Aid ;-)

Mal, I should fly down and visit you some day when you have a gig. I'm seriously looking at the Ui24 right now, upgrading from a DL1608.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 05:00:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.