ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DB IG4T and Yorkville EF500p informal measurement/listening comparison.  (Read 5281 times)

Douglas R. Allen

I was pressed for time but wanted to do a quick comparison. To see if what I've been hearing between the 2 boxes showed up some in measurements.This was an informal listening level test comparing a Db IG4T to a Yorkville EF500p. I did 2 measurements. The first was with the Ig4t's limiters just starting to flash and the second was the Ef500p's limiters just starting to flash. I did a capture just as this happened to compare spl. Did a quick measurement mic/source alignment. Best phase was around 250hz.
    I used my M32r's crossover function set at a 110hz low cut for this so both speakers were given the exact same signal. I used Smaart generator to give pink noise with I believe it has a 6 db crest factor. Because this is an extreme test I used a 12k high cut filter to go easy on the horns. (Why the extreme high's are rolled off. The 500p's have much less high frequency output) The 2 captures are overlap on each other just as they were at limit light for each. Blue is the IG4T. The horn's on the IG4T's have much better L/R coverage and spl than the 500p's and because the Low-Mid is much better sound wise they seem to be much louder in the room overall. I found when playing music after ( graphs and video's are going to be added ) what I noted live was the same in measurements overall Because the wider coverage broad band and still at the same SPL as the Yorkvilles on average I had to run the subs about 3-6 db's louder to keep up to the IG4T's. The Yorkvilles would tap out trying to fill this same room but the Db's had more to go for what we all thought was loud enough. For me this show's how the Total SPL is not the whole picture. Good coverage and better sound quality, even at just slightly louder volume over all in the room is much better than loud low quality sound.

I'll post pink noise and music captures in the replies to follow so please wait a bit for me to post them before any replies. Again this was informal and just for a quick comparison. It does show how they keep up with a 15/horn speaker. 
   Thanks!

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

Re: DB IG4T and Yorkville EF500p informal measurement/listening comparison.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 06:48:53 AM »

IG4T is blue. This is how close they were when each boxes limiter lights started to flash.  I didn't push beyond that as in the real world I'd never push anymore and would back it down some anyway. Again 110hz lowcut and for protection 12khz high cut. Both on axis , 6 feet back at center of horn height.

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:02:34 AM »

Next is with music playing below a level that has the speaker limiters on. I used the 110hz cut built in on the IG4T and the 100hz low cut on the EF500p. This is where things changed. You can see the added low end the IG4T gives. This held up with different music tracks. The limiters in the IG4T may be more protective in the lower range as you can see how much more low end is in them with the limiter not engaged. This could be why in pre measurement listening I kept increasing the crossover point. I started at 100 and went out and used them at 110hz. I remember thinking I may try 120hz.  You can still see the greater horn output as well. That peak at 80hz is more or less as I moved the measurement microphone around but it is there program dependent. I would recommend using the built in crossover in the IG4T's.
    I used a test tone to reference 1.19 KHz to get an accurate comparison between the 2. The IG4T to me always sounds so full yet clean in the 110 to 400hz or so area and the measurements hold this to be true. The peak in the EF500p's can be seen around 300hz and cut at around 220hz or so. I've seen that peak in many rooms This again is with no eq. The IG4T used below its limiter flashing hard easily outperformed my EF500p's to overall fill the room with less volume needed and better sound. The measurements show what I've been hearing. The horn area is around 6 db's louder than what the EF500p's have yet don't sound harsh just clean. Yes I could eq either speaker to sound better. But the IG4T sounds best with no eq to start.  I'll post 2 videos next.
    Again this was just a quick look and comparison between the 2.  Part of why I felt they are louder before these measurements is in the greater horns output but the better sound and L/R coverage overall to fill the room must come into play as well.   

Douglas R. Allen

Both speakers were referenced to 0db at 1.19 Khz during music play back when the traces were captured. I wish I had done a pink noise capture below limiter level but was too pressed for time. 

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:10:33 AM »

Double
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:27:22 PM by Douglas R. Allen »

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:43:32 AM »

Double post..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:42:16 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 02:14:06 PM »

With all the nice column arrays available right now, it's looking more and more like the only reason to own 15"+horn boxes is for gigs with no subs.

I'm still looking for differences between the IG4T and IG3T with dual 10". Guessing more mid-bass performance from the 3.

Last post. I'll put up to informal video's I did. Thanks to Dave for switching back and forth between the 2. For me as in the video's comments I felt the sub was a little loud for the EF500p and not enough for the IG4T. Again the overall voicing of each speaker comes into play. I put the sub at a average , in between volume for this quick comparison.  No rocket science here but thought I'd put them up anyway.

To sum it up the IG4T is as loud as the 15/horn used to compare it to. Has greater High frequency output than this speaker it is compared to and does a much better job of filling the room. The IG4T works well as a top box and would compare better than the one tested against.

Douglas R. Allen

On axis comparison.      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7POH5RFXVs

Off axis comparison.      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br4qTPt9WOk
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 06:04:13 PM »

With all the nice column arrays available right now, it's looking more and more like the only reason to own 15"+horn boxes is for gigs with no subs.

I'm still looking for differences between the IG4T and IG3T with dual 10". Guessing more mid-bass performance from the 3.

Tim; 

There is a person over on Facebook's Ingenia site who just purchased 4 of them. He may have some information.

Douglas R. Allen

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 09:49:32 PM »

Hi All,

Found this on Facebbok:  RD Net control

https://www.facebook.com/rAVePubs/videos/2177645859120657/

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 05:02:56 AM »

Hi All,

Found this on Facebbok:  RD Net control

https://www.facebook.com/rAVePubs/videos/2177645859120657/

Thanks;

Looks really nice. I'm guessing when you stack a pair you can still put this on the bottom speaker handle and still link via Infrared.

Douglas R. Allen
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:25:32 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

Douglas R. Allen

Just a update. Last outside show of the season. 42 degrees at the warmest...  Band was on IEM except the lead singer. Guitars were fed to peddles then to IEM and FOH mix. Went back about 75 feet and did a very quick recording. At this distance and with the drums under the tent this led to 80 percent or more of all the sound from the IG4T's and the Ls801pb subs to produce.  The level was quite loud if needed and the speakers did a great job for the area needed to be covered.
    This was sound check and I wish I could have gotten the 4T's a little higher. The impending rain never came but I was committed to the setup. Wanted the subs in the center as well but it worked out ok. All in all the 4T's do a great job and I still am impressed with them when I go out.
    Band was a bunch of friends having fun at a Beer Festival.  Not a big budget but more a for the fun of it gig.

A quick video   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxzll07miGY

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.