ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Cisco SG300 EOL, SG350 OK for dante?  (Read 18294 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Cisco SG300 EOL, SG350 OK for dante?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 04:13:30 PM »

In the very compact switch category, I'm a big fan of the NetGear GS108T. It's a small 8 port managed switch that will allow you to disable the EEE features, which their other Prosafe models will not. About $60. I have two of them in my recording rack.

But the fact of the matter is that just about any gigabit ethernet switch will work if you are not running a mixed network. I.e. not running video, or other internet traffic, print servers, etc... on the same network. An unmanaged switch used exclusively for Dante will work fine also (as long as you can disable the EEE/powersaving/Green ethernet features.)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Ade Stuart

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 05:47:34 PM »

Anyone else worried by external supplies?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can be a PITA, the small port count POE models have particularly large power supplies.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 05:50:11 PM »

They can be a PITA, the small port count POE models have particularly large power supplies.

I’m most worried about the supply being easily disconnected, and how to manage and place those supplies in racks.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 08:59:50 PM »

Sticky back Velcro works well for that sort of thing both in securing wall warts and securing the mini DC supply plugs.

I’m most worried about the supply being easily disconnected, and how to manage and place those supplies in racks.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »

You can use a short extension cable from the supply to the power inside the rack, so the weight of the supply doesn't make it fall off the receptacle.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 01:08:17 PM »

If you're not locking down your wall warts or better yet, replacing them with something that can be mounted, you're just being lazy!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150027-REG/Furman_PLUGLOCK_PFP_Locking_Outlet_Strip_120v_15a.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BGSWWG2/ref=dp_cerb_1
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »

If you're not locking down your wall warts or better yet, replacing them with something that can be mounted, you're just being lazy!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150027-REG/Furman_PLUGLOCK_PFP_Locking_Outlet_Strip_120v_15a.html

I just use Tie-Wraps to hold the blocks to the power strip. Drilled a few holes in the shelf for them to pass through.
Your way looks prettier, but you've never seen the back of my processing rack.... There's a door there for a reason..
Other than Sticky Paws. Doors got installed after sabotage attempts at a "Battle of the Bands" last century.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 04:30:30 PM »

Not sure I'd recommend an LED driver - those are designed to be constant current, and can be a bit variable in actual voltage depending on the load.

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2019, 04:55:57 PM »

In the very compact switch category, I'm a big fan of the NetGear GS108T. It's a small 8 port managed switch that will allow you to disable the EEE features, which their other Prosafe models will not. About $60. I have two of them in my recording rack.

But the fact of the matter is that just about any gigabit ethernet switch will work if you are not running a mixed network. I.e. not running video, or other internet traffic, print servers, etc... on the same network. An unmanaged switch used exclusively for Dante will work fine also (as long as you can disable the EEE/powersaving/Green ethernet features.)

I agree that the GS108T is a great little switch.  I keep a pair in my pelican.  However, I've started to migrate them to GS110TPv2, the POE version.  It's slightly larger but can power Avio and similar adapters. 

What I've learned with the Netgear lines is that the Smart Managed Plus products are no bueno with Dante, but the Smart Managed Pro products are good to go.  One other note is that it's nice that they ship with the EEE off, so for Dante only, unicast networks there is zero configuration needed.

thomas d.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 05:39:32 PM »

One solution is to use a DC power distribution unit. I replaced all the wall warts on my Sennheiser gear by doing that. I just snipped the wall wart off and wired directly into the DC distribution unit. No weight, no worries. It was rocksolid from the day I installed it until the day I moved to different equipment

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 05:39:32 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.