ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Cisco SG300 EOL, SG350 OK for dante?  (Read 18304 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Cisco SG300 EOL, SG350 OK for dante?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 09:52:58 PM »

Eight port SG300s are under $150.  How much cheaper do you need to be to replace a $5000 analog snake?

Bryan Hargrave

• I'm one jammin' dude.
    • Soundworks of VA, Inc
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 11:38:43 AM »

I believe the 300 is no longer in production. That may be why the price is higher than the 350. Demand without knowing that the 350 is the newer version? I have both and will be only buying 350 models in the future. 126 bucks on Amazon. Can't really beat that for a switch that feature rich.

Looking into getting some new switches. I've understood that the SG300 is/was somewhat of a "reference" Dante switch (Audinate use them as examples).

Is the 350 a safe bet? They are way cheaper than the 300's.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:43:30 AM by Bryan Hargrave »
Like us on facebook at Soundworks of VA, Inc.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 07:38:20 PM »

Eight port SG300s are under $150.  How much cheaper do you need to be to replace a $5000 analog snake?

You misunderstood me. I was asking if the 350 is a safe bet even if it is cheaper than the 300, if it is lacking something.. But I see it is a solid switch. Not asking for the cheapest option.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Cisco SG300 EOL, SG350 OK for dante?
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 02:39:58 PM »

Does anyone have a good understanding of the difference between the SG350-10P and Cisco SG350-10MP models? On the comparison on the website, the only difference I see so far is that the latter offers more total PoE wattage.

I also see they have external power supplies. Does anyone have any thoughts on using switches with external power supplies in mobile setups? I’ve always stuck with ones with internal power supplies, which aren’t common in small and light switches, for fear of the external ones being easier to unplug and more difficult to manage the bricks in racks and etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 02:42:21 PM by Samuel Rees »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 04:02:29 PM »

Does anyone have a good understanding of the difference between the SG350-10P and Cisco SG350-10MP models? On the comparison on the website, the only difference I see so far is that the latter offers more total PoE wattage.

I also see they have external power supplies. Does anyone have any thoughts on using switches with external power supplies in mobile setups? I’ve always stuck with ones with internal power supplies, which aren’t common in small and light switches, for fear of the external ones being easier to unplug and more difficult to manage the bricks in racks and etc.

I always though MP = More Power... (insert Tim Allen joke here)

That extra bit of power is helpful when you are hanging off 40 some touchscreen controllers that all want POE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 04:05:30 PM »

I always though MP = More Power... (insert Tim Allen joke here)

That extra bit of power is helpful when you are hanging off 40 some touchscreen controllers that all want POE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hah ok, I wanted to make sure it wasn’t something else that I was just missing. Anyone else worried by external supplies? I have ubiquiti toughswitches I use for everything right now as they have a built in power supply and two fit nicely in 1U, but they don’t do IGMP snooping and I’m anticipating more mixed traffic network operations with more multicast in my future.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 04:44:03 PM »

Whatever switches people look for with an eye toward Dante use I suggest that you make SFP fiber ports a part of your specifications.  Even if you don't stock fiber cable or use it on a regular basis it's an invaluable option to be set up for as a cross rentable item.  The actual SFP module doesn't need to be an up front cost and fiber solves a lot of otherwise intractable problems sometimes.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 05:10:10 PM »

Whatever switches people look for with an eye toward Dante use I suggest that you make SFP fiber ports a part of your specifications.  Even if you don't stock fiber cable or use it on a regular basis it's an invaluable option to be set up for as a cross rentable item.  The actual SFP module doesn't need to be an up front cost and fiber solves a lot of otherwise intractable problems sometimes.
This.
I won't run Dante without Fiber between stage and FOH. Been bitten too many times. Also helps weed out the tire-kickers vs the real companies - Got fiber? Ok, you can supply. No fiber? Next!
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 01:09:33 PM »

I won't run Dante without Fiber between stage and FOH. Been bitten too many times. Also helps weed out the tire-kickers vs the real companies - Got fiber? Ok, you can supply. No fiber? Next!

We just a added few new SG350-10P and SG350-28p and SG350-10SFP to our armada of SG300..

Programming went well except for a few minor differences. Had to create a new running config since they will not cross load.. I will report if we have any major errors.. Also as a note we got the SG350-10SFP as a TRUNK SWITCHER..

Scott Helmke

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 01:50:20 PM »

We had to bulk up on small switches recently, and ended up going for the SG250-08. They just came back from a month-long run with no complaints.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 01:50:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.