ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Cisco SG300 EOL, SG350 OK for dante?  (Read 18303 times)

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Cisco SG300 EOL, SG350 OK for dante?
« on: September 15, 2018, 03:24:29 AM »

We are looking to add some switches to our QL5 / RIO / Shure ULXD Dante systems.  While looking at the Cisco SG300 I noticed an EOL notice with the SG350 being the replacement.

As far as I can tell they are similar with the SG350 having more bandwidth and processing power.  QoS has 8 queues vs the 4 required and after reading the manual I think green internet can be fully disabled.

Am I missing anything else?  Any one used the new version?  I am planning the SG35010K9NA version (8+2 SF) for well under $200 each.

Thank you.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Cisco SG300 EOL, SG350 OK for dante?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 03:55:08 PM »

Being able to disable the green ethernet/power saving features is the big one.

QoS only really matters if you are set up in a mixed network with other services, like video or regular internet traffic on the network. And even then, it's irrelevant if you have enough bandwidth for what you are doing on the network. If you are running a closed, Dante only audio network then it's a moot point. The other big one to look for is the total backplane bandwidth for all of the ports. The SG300/350 have 10 gigabit Ethernet ports, so you need to have at least 20 gigabits of bandwidth so that each port can operate at a full gigabit in both directions.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Rick Earl

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 05:42:20 PM »

We are looking to add some switches to our QL5 / RIO / Shure ULXD Dante systems.  While looking at the Cisco SG300 I noticed an EOL notice with the SG350 being the replacement.

As far as I can tell they are similar with the SG350 having more bandwidth and processing power.  QoS has 8 queues vs the 4 required and after reading the manual I think green internet can be fully disabled.

Am I missing anything else?  Any one used the new version?  I am planning the SG35010K9NA version (8+2 SF) for well under $200 each.

Thank you.

I have used SG300's for a few years, mainly because I could manage them enough to connect them to the university's network without issues and I could add optics for long fiber runs I needed.   We did have an issue with one resetting last year which caused some problems when connecting to the network, but other than that, they have worked very well for our needs. For what you are doing, they should work well, especially if it is a stand alone network.  Our IT folks set us with some new  Cisco Catalyst 3560CX, they are much beefier, have an internal power supply, instead of a wall wart, and a easier for them to manage on our network when needed.   They cost quite a bit more, but so far they have been without issue.  For some events, we are running Dante' over the network between multiple venues, the two most distant being about 3/4 mile apart.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »

I have used SG300's for a few years, mainly because I could manage them enough to connect them to the university's network without issues and I could add optics for long fiber runs I needed.   We did have an issue with one resetting last year which caused some problems when connecting to the network, but other than that, they have worked very well for our needs. For what you are doing, they should work well, especially if it is a stand alone network.  Our IT folks set us with some new  Cisco Catalyst 3560CX, they are much beefier, have an internal power supply, instead of a wall wart, and a easier for them to manage on our network when needed.   They cost quite a bit more, but so far they have been without issue.  For some events, we are running Dante' over the network between multiple venues, the two most distant being about 3/4 mile apart.

You can buy used 3560G's for a song on eBay.  There is a learning curve for IOS but frankly the Cisco consumer switches aren't even considered a Cisco product by the network community.  I know they are the top of the food chain in the market though.

Enterprise grade switches are designed to simply not fail.  Add a redundant power supply and sleep easy.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 06:42:04 PM »

IT folks set us with some new  Cisco Catalyst 3560CX, they are much beefier, have an internal power supply, instead of a wall wart, and a easier for them to manage on our network when needed. 

Most SG300s have internal power supplies. Just the smallest units have wall warts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 12:17:55 AM »

You can buy used 3560G's for a song on eBay.  There is a learning curve for IOS but frankly the Cisco consumer switches aren't even considered a Cisco product by the network community.  I know they are the top of the food chain in the market though.

Enterprise grade switches are designed to simply not fail.  Add a redundant power supply and sleep easy.
The irony is I use real Cisco stuff at home that I can buy on Ebay for next to nothing.  At work, they can't buy used.

All we need is to do is get Dante and control around the room.  If I use them in video world they will not have Dante on them.  I was just hopping that some one had used them with Dante with out problems.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 08:50:47 AM »

I was just hopping that some one had used them with Dante with out problems.

I have a Cisco SG350-28MP-K9-NA in an install for about 6 months now with no issues. It's a 3-way divisible conference room with 3x Biamp TesiraForte DAN VT DSP's and 3x Shure MXA910 ceiling mic arrays. The mics are 8 channels of Dante each, and we're using Dante to route audio between the rooms when they are combined, so I think its about 30 streams total. We're also using the same switch for all of the Crestron gear, and to provide PoE (power only, no data traffic) to 6 cameras.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »

Also look at the HP 2530 and 2930 switches.  We have many in larger AV installs, and unlike the SG300's - they are QSys approved.   Another integrator in the area also uses them as their go-to switches.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 02:54:03 PM »

I've seen this topic coming up a few times, but haven't seen any one mention Yamaha's Dante enabled switches. The pricing doesn't seem too outrageous and the switches are ideal for being racked in for audio since they have ports on the back and the front.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/interfaces/swp1/

Let me know if you need pricing.

Thank you.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 08:36:09 PM »

I've seen this topic coming up a few times, but haven't seen any one mention Yamaha's Dante enabled switches. The pricing doesn't seem too outrageous and the switches are ideal for being racked in for audio since they have ports on the back and the front.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/interfaces/swp1/

Let me know if you need pricing.

I guess that depends on what your definition of "not too expensive is". Last time I looked the Yamaha switches were approaching $2,400. The SG300-10 was only about $160.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 08:36:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.