ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Stream Audio is Quiet  (Read 6736 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: Live Stream Audio is Quiet
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 09:57:05 AM »

If you have them available use a mix out to feed the live stream. Set that mix out to post fade, pre channel EQ.

I am pretty sure that the X32/M32 don't have that capability. If it is post fader it is post EQ. If it is pre-fader there you can chose pre or post EQ.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »

I am pretty sure that the X32/M32 don't have that capability. If it is post fader it is post EQ. If it is pre-fader there you can chose pre or post EQ.

This also points to the use of a ^system controller^ to deal with room/system acoustical interfacing.  One should not have to whack the input EQ to make the SYSTEM sound right.  Compensating for crappy microphones is useful for all outputs - PA, overflow/nursery, streaming and recording, but having to twist knobs because the speaker system is funky or the installation of them was done poorly reflects of the lack of knowledge or innate cheapness (not stewardship) of the design.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 04:46:54 PM »

This also points to the use of a ^system controller^ to deal with room/system acoustical interfacing.  One should not have to whack the input EQ to make the SYSTEM sound right.  Compensating for crappy microphones is useful for all outputs - PA, overflow/nursery, streaming and recording, but having to twist knobs because the speaker system is funky or the installation of them was done poorly reflects of the lack of knowledge or innate cheapness (not stewardship) of the design.

True but then again I don't know that I would want to set up the main system EQ just based on a lapel mic or two unless that's the only input sources.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 05:40:43 PM »

True but then again I don't know that I would want to set up the main system EQ just based on a lapel mic or two unless that's the only input sources.

Mike, when the problem is a crappy lapel mic any correction done to the input will benefit all audio destinations.  If the operator is hacking at the lapel input because there is a system-room interface issue then everyone except the proximate audience suffers.

You know that already.  Perhaps I didn't make it clear earlier.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 06:08:35 PM »

Mike, when the problem is a crappy lapel mic any correction done to the input will benefit all audio destinations.  If the operator is hacking at the lapel input because there is a system-room interface issue then everyone except the proximate audience suffers.

You know that already.  Perhaps I didn't make it clear earlier.

Even a decent lapel mic is going to need some channel EQ "love" to tighten up in cave of a room leaving a pre EQ (but post high pass filter) feed or split from that channel generally sounding better in an isolated listening space like someone at home on their computer.

Of course I'm assuming that the room falls more into the cave category than a acoustically treated concert space.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 02:48:49 PM »

Even a decent lapel mic is going to need some channel EQ "love" to tighten up in cave of a room leaving a pre EQ (but post high pass filter) feed or split from that channel generally sounding better in an isolated listening space like someone at home on their computer.

Of course I'm assuming that the room falls more into the cave category than a acoustically treated concert space.

If you're fighting "the cave" there are other problems that need to be fixed first... one of which might be to determine WHY the lav mic is picking so much room relative to the presenter's voice.

Mike, I'm not saying one can run the lav channel with flat EQ, not at all... but using the input strip EQ to fix what are generally *system tuning and interface issues* is a compromise that fucks everything down stream.  I'm advocating healing, not a band aid.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 06:43:51 PM »

I recently set up an X32 to live-stream performances much like you describe.  The Console has an X-live Card installed, which connects to a Mac Mini via USB.  A stereo matrix feeds the USB outs to the computer, and this stereo matrix can be driven in a number of different ways:

Simple: Send the main L/R bus to the matrix and call it good.  However, this often broadcasts a mix with no guitars or drums, 'cause those signals are very low in the house mix.

More complex / better results:  Set up a stereo Aux pair to feed the live-stream matrix, and then mix your live stream into this Aux pair.  Now you can send your loud sources to the live stream independent of the house mix.

If you're mixing in a large room where every mic on stage is in the house mix, then configuring your aux bus to be post fader makes sense.  However, In a small room where you don't need snare in the house mix (for example), you'd want to make that send to the live stream pre-fader.  (You can do this channel-by-channel in X32, or just make your live stream all pre-fader, and therefore totally separate from the house mix). 

By having separate Matrix pairs for the house mix and the live stream, any 'system EQ' feeding the house PA is NOT applied to the live stream.

Given your low-level issue, I look into the gain scaling of the external USB audio interface.  Someone else recommended using the built-in USB card; I'll second that idea.  Keeping the signal in the digital realm means that full-scale out = full-scale in.  Your current setup appears to have an un-necessary digital -> analog -> digital conversion, which might be causing the low level you're experiencing.  Can you monitor the level within the computer to see how hot a signal it's receiving?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 06:43:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.