ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurricane Florence generator victim  (Read 5648 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jeff Bankston

Re: Hurricane Florence generator victim
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:14:11 PM »

Maybe he was using a cord with 2 male ends and was going to plug it into an outlet. I have seen this done before. The main breaker in the panel is turned off. This will only power circuts on that phase or 2 phases if they are using the 120/220v outlet on the genny. I do not recommend doing this. If this is what he did then its possible he touched the live male end of the cord.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 10:44:27 PM »

Maybe he was using a cord with 2 male ends and was going to plug it into an outlet. I have seen this done before. The main breaker in the panel is turned off. This will only power circuts on that phase or 2 phases if they are using the 120/220v outlet on the genny. I do not recommend doing this. If this is what he did then its possible he touched the live male end of the cord.

I have heard of this - very possible.
If this is the case then with linemen out there right now trying to get power back up for so many people, this is even more of a no-no as it can cause  injury or worse to those guys too (from what I have read).

Governor Roy Cooper in both of his press conferences mentioned generators and to stay safe when using them.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 11:32:52 PM »

I have heard of this - very possible.
If this is the case then with linemen out there right now trying to get power back up for so many people, this is even more of a no-no as it can cause  injury or worse to those guys too (from what I have read).

Governor Roy Cooper in both of his press conferences mentioned generators and to stay safe when using them.
I used to backfeed through my compressor box with the mains off then got off my lazy butt and put a transfer switch in.

If I accidently energized the mains and injured or killed a lineman I could never forgive myself.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 12:34:44 AM »

I used to backfeed through my compressor box with the mains off then got off my lazy butt and put a transfer switch in.

If I accidently energized the mains and injured or killed a lineman I could never forgive myself.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

i'm working through a backup rig for myself right now, and this very thing is  policing my thoughts.

yeah, i'm smart enough to get a generator to make all my stuff work with Very little Cost.  But...  Doing it RIGHT means i don't hurt someone, and that's a principle i learned VERY quickly when i first got into this biz For Real. 

So yeah.  Do it right.  Wire your stuff so it isn't live to the grid.  i mean seriously.  is this something that needs saying?....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 06:40:17 AM »

I hooked up a generator without a proper lockout at a friends house in New Jersey a few years ago during another hurricane, but I pulled the meter first and bagged the box so it was impossible to back feed into the power line. There were no other options since all generators and parts were sold out for hundreds of miles away. I happened to be driving back to the east coast from Chicago at the time, so I picked up a genny and a few blitz cans of gas at a Home Depot and drove it all the way to his house. His power was out for over a week, and once power was restored he called the power company and asked them to plug his meter back in and attach the security tag. I figured this was a the safest way to do an emergency generator hookup without the proper lockout or transfer switch.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »

Energizing the lines is a real concern. Transformers work both ways, let us not forget. In response to this, as well as the possibility of errors on the power company's side, line workers usually ground nominally dead lines before touching them. But even so...

Have I ever used a double male cord? Well, let's just say it was under controlled laboratory conditions and performed by trained personnel  :o :o

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 12:09:05 PM »

Energizing the lines is a real concern. Transformers work both ways, let us not forget. In response to this, as well as the possibility of errors on the power company's side, line workers usually ground nominally dead lines before touching them. But even so...

Have I ever used a double male cord? Well, let's just say it was under controlled laboratory conditions and performed by trained personnel  :o :o

--Frank

My very old neighbor (now RIP) used a dual male extension cord to get power to his shed when the underground line was faulty... I tried very hard to discourage him for using it. If I had my way, I'd hard wire it into the shed power circuit so the free end was always cold, but then that becomes a hazard if the underground line ever gets repaired.

I bet that extension cord is still around, waiting to sting somebody who doesn't know about it, or worse. I probably need to ask his widow or son about that.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 12:24:28 PM »

You can buy kits for most panels-I know for sure Square D- for about $50 that take maybe 30 minutes to install that interlock the main and usually the top right breaker.

Super easy install- I usually feed that breaker with a permanently installed cord that plugs into the genny.  If bigger than a 6kw genny I'd probably leave a pigtail to wire in to the genny.

Genny's are useful tools-but better to do without electricity than be unsafe.
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 06:17:26 AM »

You can buy kits for most panels-I know for sure Square D- for about $50 that take maybe 30 minutes to install that interlock the main and usually the top right breaker.

I'm getting ready to install one of these for my Dad next week. As you can see it's just a slider that only allows the generator circuit breaker to be turned ON if the Mains breaker is OFF, and vise versa. You just need to add the appropriate male inlet receptacle and cordset and you're in business.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:30:31 AM by Mike Sokol »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 06:17:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.