ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting outlet at show last night  (Read 15256 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Interesting outlet at show last night
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 06:45:58 PM »

Sorry to wake this zombie thread, but I wanted to add some info that I found when doing some research and looked at the link Mike provided.  According to the Ideal site for the SureTest, the AC Voltage Range is 85.0 - 265.00 VAC.  So it appears that it will be fine if you happen to use it on an outlet that is miswired.  I can think of one time when I plugged my distro, which had a 50 amp range plug on it (NEMA 14-50) into a receptacle that was wired 3 phase.  This would have been extremely handy to have.   >:(

I recently spoke to an application engineer at Ideal (the makes of the SureTest Analyzer), and they confirmed that it won't be damaged by plugging it into 240 volts. In fact at my request they plugged on into 240 volts and let it run all day without damage. I love this meter...

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 06:52:09 PM »

Completely agree.  I'm looking into the SureTest for the voltage drop under load ability as well as the frequency measurement, as well as some of the other test functions that the $2 outlet tester can't do.

I also use it on a lot of ground-loop hum testing since it will identify hot, neutral and ground impedance, as well as predicted voltage drop under 15 and 20 amp loads. I've used it in a parallel test with my big-honking 10kW load bank, and they both agree within a few percent of each other. Between my SureTest Analyzer, Fluke 117 and a NCVT I can measure most anything I need to at any installation or show. Of course, you need to understand what the reading really mean, but being able to tell how stiff of a 20-amp circuit you're plugging into can save a lot of grief when the EDM starts....   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 06:52:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.