ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Low End in Halls with unfavourable acoustics  (Read 5189 times)

Issack Andrew

Low End in Halls with unfavourable acoustics
« on: September 14, 2018, 05:01:20 PM »

Hey guys,

Doing a gig next week in this hall and the client has Mackie speakers (Thump series) and there is no shortage for for tops / mids and monitors. I know that 'less is more' is important in troublesome halls like this and I am trying to cut down on stage volume by using in ears wherever possible with the band. Will use one set of delays about half way through the audience so that I can push less volume in the front.

The hall is about 11m wide (between the columns) and 40m long. Tiles on the floor, hard concrete walls everywhere. I asked the decor team to do their best to get carpeting and curtains to cover as much surface as possible.

For low end, there are 4 Mackie Thump 18s available and I think with a hall like this I should have all 4 at the front below the raised 1 metre stage.

Was wondering what would be an ideal placement strategy for these subs? Should all of them be placed in a row next to each other in the front below the stage? Should I have 2 subs in the front and the other 2 with the delayed set (mid of hall) of Mackie Thump 15s for the 2nd half of the audience? Any other suggestions?

Will be mixing FOH about 20 meters from the stage.

If the venue becomes too busy they may have to use the upstairs area and I plan on placing 2 Mackie Thump 15s on top with the right amount of delay. Don't plan on pushing too much volume upstairs.

Thanks,

Issack

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Re: Low End in Halls with unfavourable acoustics
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 05:14:47 PM »

Was wondering what would be an ideal placement strategy for these subs? Should all of them be placed in a row next to each other in the front below the stage? Should I have 2 subs in the front and the other 2 with the delayed set (mid of hall) of Mackie Thump 15s for the 2nd half of the audience? Any other suggestions?

I would place the Thumps outside near the dumpster and then rent some better gear. 

What kind of worship service are you hosting - contemporary praise?  Spoken word only?  What are your volume needs?

General suggestions: Use more directional speakers that are aimed where you want the sound to be and not on the reflective surfaces can help sound quality dramatically.  Good luck; that room looks like it will echo for days after you leave!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 05:35:17 PM »

What do you mean by doing a gig...? Are you in a band? It this a convention? Is it paid?

If it were me (and it isn’t) and I had to use the wrong gear in an awful room, I would walk away as clearly the client is more interested in cutting cost than having a successful event.

Ok, I am tired and grumpy... tell us more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 06:10:31 PM »

Maybe so....but you are right!
Bad room and bad gear? Bad results.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 08:14:59 PM »

The hall is about 11m wide (between the columns) and 40m long. Tiles on the floor, hard concrete walls everywhere. I asked the decor team to do their best to get carpeting and curtains to cover as much surface as possible.

For low end, there are 4 Mackie Thump 18s available and I think with a hall like this I should have all 4 at the front below the raised 1 metre stage.

Knowing this is nearly impossible to quantify, but;  How much bass energy do you need for this event?

I most certainly would NOT place subs at the delay positions.  And, I would use as few cabinets (tops or bottoms) as possible to reach desired SPL's.  I'd probably center cluster the sub(s) in that room.

Then, I'd ask all attendees to wear big, puffy coats...

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Issack Andrew

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 11:53:37 PM »

I would place the Thumps outside near the dumpster and then rent some better gear. 

What kind of worship service are you hosting - contemporary praise?  Spoken word only?  What are your volume needs?

General suggestions: Use more directional speakers that are aimed where you want the sound to be and not on the reflective surfaces can help sound quality dramatically.  Good luck; that room looks like it will echo for days after you leave!

Can't do anything about the speaker selection  :(

Its going to be contemporary praise and spoken word. Volume needs to be around 90db so it seems like a real challenge.

The band is Drums, Bass, 3 Keyboards, 8 backing vocals and 1 lead singer. I think having as little loudspeaker monitors on stage will make a big difference because there is a concrete wall right behind them.

Issack Andrew

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 11:57:23 PM »

What do you mean by doing a gig...? Are you in a band? It this a convention? Is it paid?

If it were me (and it isn’t) and I had to use the wrong gear in an awful room, I would walk away as clearly the client is more interested in cutting cost than having a successful event.

Its true that cost cutting is happening a tad bit.

If only we could all be tired and grumpy and walk away  :(

Issack Andrew

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 11:58:39 PM »

Knowing this is nearly impossible to quantify, but;  How much bass energy do you need for this event?

I most certainly would NOT place subs at the delay positions.  And, I would use as few cabinets (tops or bottoms) as possible to reach desired SPL's.  I'd probably center cluster the sub(s) in that room.

Then, I'd ask all attendees to wear big, puffy coats...

Dave

Okay so all the subs in front (center cluster) and less speakers as possible.

And big, puffy coats..  :o (if only..)

Issack Andrew

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 12:00:01 AM »

Maybe so....but you are right!
Bad room and bad gear? Bad results.

He is right. No jokes

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 12:01:52 AM »

90db isn't the challenge with what you have, it's the RT of the room. I would do stereo deployed subs located at the 1/3rds of the room against the back wall ( yes behind the band ). This will give them an extra 3db boost and will reduce the amount of reflections. I would seriously eliminate any and all amplified instruments or shoot for no open back guitar cabs. Next would be to do as little amplification from the PA as possible. This will help make each instrument have its own sound path. I.E vocal amplification only. Kick and bass can be helped via the subs, but I would try and have the subs on an aux if possible. Less of everything will be more in the long run.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 12:01:52 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.