ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Low End in Halls with unfavourable acoustics  (Read 5187 times)

Issack Andrew

Re: Low End in Halls with unfavourable acoustics
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 12:37:19 AM »

90db isn't the challenge with what you have, it's the RT of the room. I would do stereo deployed subs located at the 1/3rds of the room against the back wall ( yes behind the band ). This will give them an extra 3db boost and will reduce the amount of reflections. I would seriously eliminate any and all amplified instruments or shoot for no open back guitar cabs. Next would be to do as little amplification from the PA as possible. This will help make each instrument have its own sound path. I.E vocal amplification only. Kick and bass can be helped via the subs, but I would try and have the subs on an aux if possible. Less of everything will be more in the long run.

Luke, can you clarify why stereo subs vs mono?

Also do you think having overheads (whether mono or stereo) for the drums is vital in such a space?

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 01:41:00 AM »

Luke, can you clarify why stereo subs vs mono?

Also do you think having overheads (whether mono or stereo) for the drums is vital in such a space?

Just because you have a mic on something doesn't mean it has to be brought up in the sound system. But if you find out after the show starts that you need it it is a little bit awkward to put it in place.

It might actually be better if you really know what you are doing to have more speakers closer to people running softer, then trying to push the sound from the front to the back. But it has to really be deployed and tuned just right. As other have already said you really need to aim the speakers down and into the people, keeping the sound from hitting the walls or any reflective surface. Standard speakers on standard stands isn't going to help.

Simon_Barrett

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 01:16:00 PM »

Just because you have a mic on something doesn't mean it has to be brought up in the sound system. But if you find out after the show starts that you need it it is a little bit awkward to put it in place.

It might actually be better if you really know what you are doing to have more speakers closer to people running softer, then trying to push the sound from the front to the back. But it has to really be deployed and tuned just right. As other have already said you really need to aim the speakers down and into the people, keeping the sound from hitting the walls or any reflective surface. Standard speakers on standard stands isn't going to help.

^ This ^

More speakers, running lower SPLs, dotted around but close to the people and delayed appropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 11:56:27 AM »

I was going to suggest a distributed audio system, but I don't think he has enough available speakers to do it right and there is a huge challenge with running power and signal around that venue. Distributed audio is the best solution for this type of room though.

The only reason for stereo subs, in this case, is distribution. You could place all the subs in one location, but then they will be offset in the room and could affect coverage. The idea with getting them against the wall is to reduce reflections. Reflections that are out of phase with the direct sound cause comb filtering.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »

If you don't have a budget for better speakers, then sound treatment of the room is probably out of the question as well, so you have to deal with what you've got. If it is possible to put a sound deadening drape behind the band, I'd strongly suggest it.  It will make a world of difference for you!

Your biggest problem in a room like that is keeping stage volume quiet enough so that your PA speakers can actually do something.  If your drummer goes all animal on the drums, there's no way you'll be able to maintain a mix at 90db.

For micing the drums, you probably could get by with just one mic in the kick. Even that could be optional.  However, having mics on the drums means you have the ability to tweak their sound to some degree which can make mush turn into something a little more pleasant.  In this size room, amplification isn't your goal, as much as clarity adjustments, especially if you're targeting 90db.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.