ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Why I give a fair price in the beginning and never lower it  (Read 7418 times)

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Why I give a fair price in the beginning and never lower it
« on: September 13, 2018, 09:43:56 PM »

A client called me last week about a basic meeting at a nice hotel. She needed 2 wireless and a projector and screen for PowerPoint presentations.  The in-house AV company (starts with a P) quoted her $3500 with no technician staying for the event, just a tech to plug in the laptop and clip on a lav at the beginning.

The client called me as she thought that was a bit high and asked me for a quote without telling me the in-house pricing. I gave her a great price including a tech for the event.

She accepted and informed the hotel that she would be using an outside vendor. They informed the client that there was a charge for using an outside vendor and offered to lower the cost the of AV equipment over $2000 less than what was originally quoted. Now the in-house price was just under my price when you factor in the babysitting charge for using an outside vendor.

My client stated to the hotel that their original quote was ripping her off over $2000 and she was going to stick with me even though I was now a bit more than the hotel’s new price.

That’s why I give a fair price at the beginning and never lower it to get the gig. 

In retaliation, the hotel is restricting me to only 2 hours before the meeting is about to start ( about 1 1/2 hours before doors) from dock to ballroom to set up, forcing me to bring an additional tech to help set up in time.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Why I give a fair price in the beginning and never lower it
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 04:57:35 AM »

Please Select Another Vendor. . .

Wonder if they're big enough to justify an antitrust/price fixing lawsuit yet.

A client called me last week about a basic meeting at a nice hotel. She needed 2 wireless and a projector and screen for PowerPoint presentations.  The in-house AV company (starts with a P) quoted her $3500 with no technician staying for the event, just a tech to plug in the laptop and clip on a lav at the beginning.

. . .

In retaliation, the hotel is restricting me to only 2 hours before the meeting is about to start ( about 1 1/2 hours before doors) from dock to ballroom to set up, forcing me to bring an additional tech to help set up in time.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 10:42:42 AM »

Our solution for groups getting outside AV is that they have to rent power from our in house AV company. And they charge a LOT! What a business.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 10:54:55 AM »

Please Select Another Vendor. . .

Wonder if they're big enough to justify an antitrust/price fixing lawsuit yet.

Ah yesss..the home of the solid gold rigging hardware :)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »

Our solution for groups getting outside AV is that they have to rent power from our in house AV company. And they charge a LOT! What a business.

We provided sound for a weekend event at a hotel where the company Previously mentioned here was the in-house AV company... their charge for a PDU in the room? $900 per 20-amp circuit per day.

They dropped a small spider box about 3 feet from the wall feed on Friday and picked it up on Sunday. I'm definitely on the wrong side of this business.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:01:28 PM by Steve Litscher »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »

We provided sound for a weekend event at a hotel where the company Previously mentioned here was the in-house AV company... their charge for a PDU in the room? $900 per 20-amp circuit per day.

They dropped a small spider box about 3 feet from the wall feed on Friday and picked it up on Sunday. I'm definitely on the wrong side of this business.
Last century, i found a way around those "charges"
The bride and groom asked me to accompany them to the hotel in question at the signing.
75 rooms booked for out-of-towners, 1,000 guests for supper, 2 bands, yada yada.
When confronted with a $2,000 charge for AC, the groom simply said 'Well,  I guess you really don't want our business. Chris, where do you suggest we go ?
This was the Bonaventure Hilton. I just said "I've always been treated well at the Queen E, or Ritz. For the date of you wedding, booking will be no problem if you move fast.
Needless to say, he got AC and a bunch of other goodies thrown in gratis.

Money talks. Period.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 12:35:04 PM »

Last century, i found a way around those "charges"
The bride and groom asked me to accompany them to the hotel in question at the signing.
75 rooms booked for out-of-towners, 1,000 guests for supper, 2 bands, yada yada.
When confronted with a $2,000 charge for AC, the groom simply said 'Well,  I guess you really don't want our business. Chris, where do you suggest we go ?
This was the Bonaventure Hilton. I just said "I've always been treated well at the Queen E, or Ritz. For the date of you wedding, booking will be no problem if you move fast.
Needless to say, he got AC and a bunch of other goodies thrown in gratis.

Money talks. Period.

From what I've seen, those charges are negotiable. Wifi is as well. Charges are lowered or dropped and the client thinks he's getting a deal. Reality is that he's not getting ripped off as much.

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 12:46:38 PM »

From what I've seen, those charges are negotiable. Wifi is as well. Charges are lowered or dropped and the client thinks he's getting a deal. Reality is that he's not getting ripped off as much.
Free wifi at Days Inn, Best Western, and virtually every hotel / motel.  Hilton?  Nope.  Got to pay up.  At least, until you remind them that we're filling 200 rooms for 2 nights.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 01:44:35 PM »

I'm definitely on the wrong side of this business.

But you and I can sleep well at night knowing we are not screwing folks over!
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Taylor Hall

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »

Par for the course. We've gotten a lot of business that way, too. We know what "in house" services cost at most venues in our area and can quite easily come in at way less and still make a bodacious profit. The biggest hangups are always on things we can't provide like access to power.

One of our favorite things that venues are doing is charging clients for NOT using their in-house services. A recent event we ran tech for said the venue wanted them to pay $500 for not using their tech service. client basically told them to pound sand with their 700+ peak room nights that any other venue would love to gobble up.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.