ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor bass - But not for a lack of spending $$$  (Read 5979 times)

GT Hill

Re: Poor bass - But not for a lack of spending $$$
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 11:15:58 AM »

Just to cover all our bases.  What is the connection from the airplay receiver to the dsp and then to the amp. Is the stereo signal getting summed properly. Could it be cancelling due to a polarity inversion there?

Good luck.

LOU

Hey Lou - I have two ways to play music through the system.

1) Apple TV --> Yamaha receiver --> Small mixing board --> Ashly processor
2) Aux cord --> Small mixing board --> Ashly processor (There's something wrong with this... has some crap noise going on so we don't use it anymore)

Probably 18 months ago I had an aux cord go directly into the processor.

Truth is... I don't really know the right way to get audio into the system.

And another note... I HATE these European connections to / from the processor. I'm probably doing something wrong there but ug. I hate them.

Would it make sense for me to go DIRECT from phone (via aux cord) direct into one of the amps for a sub? I know I need to have a crossover in there. But maybe I do that to eliminate any problems in the system?

GT

GT Hill

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »

This forum is for touring audio questions, the subject is more suited for the lounge.  Many of us troll without much regard to the category but the mods try and herd the cats into the right container.

Two TH-115's by themselves in that room should be devastating.  They sum really well so I would have the side by side with the horns touching for best coupling. 

My advice to you would be to simplify things and use an app on your phone or an AF signal generator and send some sine waves to the power amp and measure the SPL in the room and see if you are wildly out of spec.

"In God we trust, all others bring data"

If you guys think it should be moved I'm all for it if a mod wants to do that.

Your advice is solid... get the other crap out of the loop. Any suggestions for apps / devices? Do I need a crossover to protect the sub?

GT

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »

The subs are about 5' away from the wall. The room is a 37' diameter circle. So in terms of walls, there's nothing really to the sides and the nearest "back" wall is about 30' away.

GT

You may have something going on with the electrical side, but perfect circles are no fun. Every sound wave hitting every surface is creating a focused reflection.   Your room isn't large enough for you to hear a discrete echo, except maybe in the VHF, so everything is just getting smeared.  You really need to address the acoustics of the space first.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

GT Hill

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 12:00:31 PM »

You may have something going on with the electrical side, but perfect circles are no fun. Every sound wave hitting every surface is creating a focused reflection.   Your room isn't large enough for you to hear a discrete echo, except maybe in the VHF, so everything is just getting smeared.  You really need to address the acoustics of the space first.

I have about 7 4'x8' wall panels made of Owens Corning 703 on the back wall. The room also has 5 couches and a kitchen. I've been told the 2" 703 probably doesn't help with bass much.

But maybe I'll pull the panels down and make a little "box" in the space and put the sub in it and see what it sounds like inside?

GT

Laurence Nefzger

• Kirkland, WA USA
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 01:14:00 PM »

I have about 7 4'x8' wall panels made of Owens Corning 703 on the back wall. The room also has 5 couches and a kitchen. I've been told the 2" 703 probably doesn't help with bass much.

But maybe I'll pull the panels down and make a little "box" in the space and put the sub in it and see what it sounds like inside?

GT
The 703 treatment will absorb effectively to roughly 125Hz. There is a .5 absorption coefficient in a four inch thickness at that 125hz frequency. So your results in the sub (30 to 100hz) range may be marginal. But by all means experiment! You will no doubt learn a lot in the process.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »

Make sure you have an inch or three behind the panels.

Did you say how big the room is?  LxWxH.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

GT Hill

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 01:58:43 PM »

Make sure you have an inch or three behind the panels.

Did you say how big the room is?  LxWxH.

It's a circle 37' in diameter with 13' ceilings. Decommissioned Titan II nuclear missile silo (Launch Control Center).

GT

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »

Yikes,
Every time I've dealt with a round room or curved surfaces, some acoustic problem arose.
Lots of slap-back echo and nodes.
Try putting pink noise through the system and walk around the room.
I would guess you are going to have some severe low end nodes and nulls.
Can you get the PA up high and point it down?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Lou Kohley

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 03:32:27 PM »

Hey Lou - I have two ways to play music through the system.

1) Apple TV --> Yamaha receiver --> Small mixing board --> Ashly processor
2) Aux cord --> Small mixing board --> Ashly processor (There's something wrong with this... has some crap noise going on so we don't use it anymore)

Probably 18 months ago I had an aux cord go directly into the processor.

Truth is... I don't really know the right way to get audio into the system.

And another note... I HATE these European connections to / from the processor. I'm probably doing something wrong there but ug. I hate them.

Would it make sense for me to go DIRECT from phone (via aux cord) direct into one of the amps for a sub? I know I need to have a crossover in there. But maybe I do that to eliminate any problems in the system?

GT

You can try going direct to see if anything changes. I'm convinced that there is a connection error somewhere. I'm thinking that the stereo unbalanced tip-ring-sleeve (Left-Right-Ground) is getting plugged into a balanced connector Hot-Cold-ground and the Left and Right channels are being cancelled in some way. When you use the "aux cord" (which is an 1/8 in or 3.5mm TRS) does it break out into two separate left and right connectors or is it 3.5mm on both ends? Where does the aux cord connect?

Also with a phoenix connector is it 3 pin or 5 pin. 5 pin is usually balanced 2 channel with L+,L-,Ground,R+,R-. What connections do you have to the processor? More detail here might help hunt down the issue.

LOU

GT Hill

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »

Yikes,
Every time I've dealt with a round room or curved surfaces, some acoustic problem arose.
Lots of slap-back echo and nodes.
Try putting pink noise through the system and walk around the room.
I would guess you are going to have some severe low end nodes and nulls.
Can you get the PA up high and point it down?

The main speakers are flown right now pointing slightly down.

I can do the pink noise thing and see what happens!

GT

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.