ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Current model JBL SRX boxes induce buzz in mic cables/channels  (Read 12456 times)

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Current model JBL SRX boxes induce buzz in mic cables/channels
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 02:28:52 PM »

OK... so of course I couldn't resist and I just set up my 2 SRX812's ( a bit easier to get to than my SRX815's), my little analog Peavey mixer and an SM 58  as you describe - same power to all and running the cables together as you show on the video. The only difference is that my little mixer has TRS outputs instead of XLR.
I cannot get either speaker to buzz at all whether the faders are up or not. I hear the usual quiet hiss when I push fader up but no buzz.

To add a few things.... I used an inexpensive XLR cord to the mic, along with an inexpensive XLR >TRS speaker cord and mains cords also - so nothing fancy. I ran the test in my garage which is where I drew power through a 3 tap 16 gauge short extension cord.

Thanks for trying to duplicate my test, Debbie. I fairly certain all my boxes are exhibiting the issue but not 100% sure. I'm going to have to them all out I suppose and see if it's inherent or if only a couple of them are doing it. I would be rather coincidental if it's only 1 or 2 that I happened to grab the 1 out of 8 that I own that are doing it.

Another question I have is, how old are your boxes? My 815ps are a little over a year old and the 812p boxes are less than 6 months. Maybe it's a revision issue and the older ones don't have the problem

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »

That is some nasty buzz, electrical and mechanical. Do all of your SRX boxes have this same issue or is it just one?
It is surprising that with the large number of forum members using SRX speakers, that no one else has reported this issue.
I have only heard SRX speakers being used at a local outdoor event. I haven't been impressed with them at all, especially considering their girth. But then again, I haven't been impressed with the people running the system so it may be operator error.
Too bad that JBL service seems to be MIA. You never know what you are going to get once a company changes hands. I wonder if you would get better response if you were calling about one of their "professional" products.

I'm going to have to check to see if it's more than one. You don't hit the issue unless your running vocal mic cables parallel to the power cables. So if you're not using them as wedges, you won't hear it all. If you're using them as wedges and you don't have the mic cables in close proximity & parallel, the buzzing is reduced or not audible. It took me over a year to nail down the issue, so I wonder if others have run into this and chalked it up to something else. And yes, the support response has been crickets so far.

Greg

Cameron Pro Audio

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 03:37:50 PM »

Thanks for trying to duplicate my test, Debbie. I fairly certain all my boxes are exhibiting the issue but not 100% sure. I'm going to have to them all out I suppose and see if it's inherent or if only a couple of them are doing it. I would be rather coincidental if it's only 1 or 2 that I happened to grab the 1 out of 8 that I own that are doing it.

Another question I have is, how old are your boxes? My 815ps are a little over a year old and the 812p boxes are less than 6 months. Maybe it's a revision issue and the older ones don't have the problem

Greg

Could be - mine are all more than 3 years old.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »

I'm going to have to check to see if it's more than one. You don't hit the issue unless your running vocal mic cables parallel to the power cables. So if you're not using them as wedges, you won't hear it all. If you're using them as wedges and you don't have the mic cables in close proximity & parallel, the buzzing is reduced or not audible. It took me over a year to nail down the issue, so I wonder if others have run into this and chalked it up to something else. And yes, the support response has been crickets so far.

Greg

I had some issues with my SRX boxes when I first got them - mainly the SRX828 - bad amp, then damage and I was getting frustrated. The guys at JBL were great to start with - responding quickly, willing to chat and troubleshoot etc. Then all of a sudden I couldn't get anyone on the phone or by email. Haven't tried since as my problems were handled locally by the store.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 06:59:36 PM »

I did some more testing today to confirm all 8 of my SRX boxes are doing this. But I also discovered that if you use "quad star" mic cable, this issue doesn't present. Standard mic cables like the Whirlwind MK4 series do. JBL support finally got in touch with me and suggested taking one to a service center. But I sent them a new video demonstrating my findings and suggested they should easily be able to repro this in-house. Ferrite beads don't do anything. I'm not very happy that I'm going to have to start replacing a mic cable model I've been using for nearly 20 years to mitigate the problem. And until they figure out this issue (if ever), I'm not going to recommend these anymore. They're a very good speaker at the price point in terms of output capability, sound quality, and features. But this shortcoming along with mechanical buzzes & cheap grills, and unprotected delicate controls are making me reconsider.

Greg

https://youtu.be/R3VevTAv0pg
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:51:47 PM by Greg_Cameron »

Cameron Pro Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 09:28:23 PM »

I did some more testing today to confirm all 8 of my SRX boxes are doing this. But I also discovered that if you use "quad star" mic cable, this issue doesn't present. Standard mic cables like the Whirlwind MK4 series do. JBL support finally got in touch with me and suggested taking one to a service center. But I sent them a new video demonstrating my findings and suggested they should easily be able to repro this in-house. Ferrite beads don't do anything. I'm not very happy that I'm going to have to start replacing a mic cable model I've been using for nearly 20 years to mitigate the problem. And until they figure out this issue (if ever), I'm not going to recommend these anymore. They're a very good speaker at the price point in terms of output capability, sound quality, and features. But this shortcoming along with mechanical buzzes & cheap grills, and unprotected delicate controls are making me reconsider.

Greg

https://youtu.be/R3VevTAv0pg

It's a pro-sumer or entry level "pro" compromise model line.  While the induced noise bothers me and I find the vulnerability of the controls to be worrisome (those both need fixed by JBL), the rest is part of the compromise between market segment and price conscious buyers.  Doesn't make it right, but just the way things seem to be these days.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 09:54:57 PM »

Greg. I had some time today so just to be thorough, earlier on I set everything up again and I switched out all cables and even the mic to see if it made a difference to my set-up. It didn't - still no buzz.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 10:57:07 PM »

It's a pro-sumer or entry level "pro" compromise model line.  While the induced noise bothers me and I find the vulnerability of the controls to be worrisome (those both need fixed by JBL), the rest is part of the compromise between market segment and price conscious buyers.  Doesn't make it right, but just the way things seem to be these days.

Agreed, Tim.

Cameron Pro Audio

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 10:59:21 PM »

Greg. I had some time today so just to be thorough, earlier on I set everything up again and I switched out all cables and even the mic to see if it made a difference to my set-up. It didn't - still no buzz.

Interesting. I wonder, are you using all star-quad mic cables? With star-quad Canare, I get zero buzz. I guess that justifies the price for sure. The other potential issue could be the revision of power amp module. Could be your older ones are different somehow.

Greg

Cameron Pro Audio

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 11:51:05 PM »

Interesting. I wonder, are you using all star-quad mic cables? With star-quad Canare, I get zero buzz. I guess that justifies the price for sure. The other potential issue could be the revision of power amp module. Could be your older ones are different somehow.

Greg

I wish!!.. no - I used a couple of different mic cables - both inexpensive but decent ones from China. Generic XLR's too....
It has to have something to do with either the later runs or one particular run of Amps.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 11:51:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.