ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Step up from an MI system  (Read 7344 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Step up from an MI system
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 07:18:10 PM »

LOL...i was one of the very early adopters....
I couldn't tell if you were serious. 

For subwoofers - stepping up to Danley has made most other brands seem weak and/or muddy.  The last two companies I was at often used various XYZ brand tops and Danley subs. 

My first experience with real subs was going from a pile of SB528's to a few Bassmaxx (at the time) B1's.  That led to reading about the LAB sub, then to Danley subs. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Steve Garris

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 07:21:17 PM »

This was 11 years ago and the model is no longer made.  It was a big box, 45"x45"x 24" deep.

The box I think we're talking about is this, 27x22x41:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1205976-REG/yorkville_sound_ucs1p_1500w_15_horn_loaded.html

And I'm understanding now it's a single 15" driver, not dual.
It's 5-1/2" shorter than the 828p.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2018, 07:33:18 PM »

Is that Yorkie an updated TH115?

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »

I couldn't tell if you were serious. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Gotcha, yeah, i was just kidding Tim a bit because of the 'Labs' that made it to the shootout, as the guys that were there described them....
Tim and a lot of other guys were very nice to detail their shootout impressions.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »

The box I think we're talking about is this, 27x22x41:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1205976-REG/yorkville_sound_ucs1p_1500w_15_horn_loaded.html

And I'm understanding now it's a single 15" driver, not dual.
It's 5-1/2" shorter than the 828p.

Without a quote, your post I responded to appeared to be questioning the BassMaxx 3x12 box.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2018, 08:18:07 PM »

Gotcha, yeah, i was just kidding Tim a bit because of the 'Labs' that made it to the shootout, as the guys that were there described them....
Tim and a lot of other guys were very nice to detail their shootout impressions.

If you go back and re-read my post you'll see I was not referring to the LABsubs at the shoot out, but Tom's design in general.

The "FrankenLabs" were also a slightly shorter horn path, too.  IIRC they performed better than any of us thought they would, being minus the speaker access covers.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Augustine Ortiz

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 04:42:15 PM »

I'm sort of surprised to hear the DSR115 have trouble getting the vocals over a band; we use the DSR112 in a lot of very loud rooms with tons of stage volume, and vocals typically cut through. I'd check EQ, compression settings, and so on.

That said... if I were looking to upgrade, and my budget was $10k - $20k, I'd consider:

2x JTR C218Pro powered subs ~ $5200 for the pair (according to website)
2x JTR 3TX Noesis passive tops ~ $4400 for the pair (according to website)
1x DSP - dbx Venu360? ~ $500 if you shop around
1x PLD4.5 for the tops (allows for growth) ~ $1800 if you shop around

The PLD4.5 is probably overkill if you don't have plans to expand, or if you can't use the other two channels to power something... but it is an awesome amplifier. Our upgrade path went from PLX3602 to PL380 to PLD4.5 - sound quality with the 4.5 is much better than the two previous amps.

Should put you at around $12k all-in, and you'd have a pretty potent system that's easily moved by one person.

The only other items I'd strongly urge that you purchase: *good* speaker poles (about 24-36") and if you don't already have them, look into the BT-12 speaker tilters from Nimrod. They are absolutely amazing.

Good poles and the BT-12 might help a bunch with your vocals cutting through on the DSR115s... get them up a little higher and aim/tilt accordingly.

I can get the vocals over the bands with the DSR115, just there are times when I am tickling those limit lights to do it.  And some of these bands are LOUD.  And I don't mean rock bands, I have no problems with loud rock bands, even those with really loud stage volumes.  But doom/death metal bands are a whole other animal.   So I would hope that some of these systems can at least keep up with that.

I have worked on the DSR112 and I find the mid-range to be more potent than the DSR115 which to me helps them to cut through a bit more.  And I have learned to appreciate 12's over 15's when mostly working with subs.  The vocal clarity is often better.  But I rent out my DSR115's more as standalone speakers, so it was a better investment at the time.

There are some really really good suggestions in here.  The IG4T's and the JTR stuff looks great!  I also hope this thread serves as a great resource for other people considering making the jump.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 10:09:01 PM »

I wouldn't worry one bit about tickling the limit lights on the DSRs. Anything under "mostly ON" is petty safe.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 10:09:01 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.