ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wall of PARs  (Read 4737 times)

Adam Lipiński

Wall of PARs
« on: September 09, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »

Hello guys! I need help with the lightning. I am preparing for shooting commercial, there is a scene with the band during concert I came up with the idea to light the stage with a big wall of PARs behind the band. I want create simple patterns and flash them in sequence. Is there any device that can do it for me. I am coming from movies and only thing i can figure it out is to dimm them manually but this is almost impossible to create smooth patterns. I want to be able to play it live since the idea of the shooting is to have a real concert. Thanks for your help. I am sending an example of patterns that could be created. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf4YvPf6qyA

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Wall of PARs
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 11:00:13 AM »

Hello guys! I need help with the lightning. I am preparing for shooting commercial, there is a scene with the band during concert I came up with the idea to light the stage with a big wall of PARs behind the band. I want create simple patterns and flash them in sequence. Is there any device that can do it for me. I am coming from movies and only thing i can figure it out is to dimm them manually but this is almost impossible to create smooth patterns. I want to be able to play it live since the idea of the shooting is to have a real concert. Thanks for your help. I am sending an example of patterns that could be created. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf4YvPf6qyA

Hi Adampov,

Please go back and change your display name to your real name as per forum rules before the thread is locked by a moderator. Once you have done that I am sure you will receive responses to your question in order to assist you. Thank you and welcome.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 01:13:25 PM »

That looks fairly straight forward, if time consuming.
Most low end and up lighting controllers allow programming scenes and chases which could replicate your video.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 01:40:29 PM »

As Dave commented- what you show in the video is easy enough to replicate but would take some setting up.
It would also be easy to run live having first programmed some chases to suit.
Bear in mind I find when using LED Pars that it varies from fixture to fixture as to how smooth the dimming is. Whether I use a basic controller like the Chauvet Obey 10 or software like Luminair, I get different results from diffrent fixtures- so it doesn't necessarily depend on the controller.
Eg : some of my cheapest Chinese (no name) fixtures dim more smoothly than my Blizzard Q12's that cost me 5-6 times more money.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 02:14:24 PM »

The keywords here are Pixelmapping, Grids and Pixeleffects.

Every major lighting desk, like GrandMA, Avolites Ttian, Chamsys and Hog has this.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 03:58:13 PM »

The keywords here are Pixelmapping, Grids and Pixeleffects.

Every major lighting desk, like GrandMA, Avolites Ttian, Chamsys and Hog has this.

I can't imagine the OP getting such a high end console for one commercial.

Probably the best way to accomplish your goal, this is to hire someone who has the equipment or can rent it, and the experience to accomplish it.
Find someone in your area who is a Lighting Director for a theater or club.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »

I can't imagine the OP getting such a high end console for one commercial.

Probably the best way to accomplish your goal, this is to hire someone who has the equipment or can rent it, and the experience to accomplish it.
Find someone in your area who is a Lighting Director for a theater or club.

Ah, you beat me to it!  I was going to say this is a very common effect that can be programmed by any reasonably-accomplished LD on almost any make/model of desk.  While the cheap Obey-style desks can work, I’d want to leverage the horsepower of a more capable console to minimize time spent programming. 

If you’re filming a (presumably) professional commercial, there’s surely money in the budget to hire an LD or at least rent the proper equipment, right?

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 06:05:45 PM »

ETC consoles also pixel map.   I can’t imagine why, if this is a commercial, renting a reasonable console will be out of the question.  Especially once the rent alll the Lars and dimmers the console would be peanuts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Feenstra

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 05:26:24 PM »

fixture wise something like chromalech jarag 5s would fit the bill and do exactly what you want. They're less power hungry than pars too, kind of

I did this music video last year with a similar effect (and a wall of jarags)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sP-fnHcxMw
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 08:03:54 PM »

Jarag is 7200W/m2. Par64 (1kW) on 6' bars is about 11kW/m2.

Just a thought...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 09:23:06 PM »

ETC consoles also pixel map.   I can’t imagine why, if this is a commercial, renting a reasonable console will be out of the question.  Especially once the rent alll the Lars and dimmers the console would be peanuts....

At the low end Chauvet show express does pixel mapping.  The Pixelicious fixtures from Blizzard are very nice. 

The OP doesn't seem to want to join the conversation.  Me things they wanted to use $20 Chinese lights.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Lyle Williams

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 04:50:16 AM »

A big wall of pars is a lot of pars.

I have 30.  That'd do 5x6.  It'd need to be a pretty small band.  And need a lot of supporting structure.  The way I picture your idea in my head, I'd probably need 100+ Pars.

Work out how big an area you need to cover, and work out if you can implement your vision.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:58:55 PM by Lyle Williams »

Terry Martin

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »

What is your location?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.