ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless - Lectrosonics & Shure  (Read 3487 times)

Jay Cobb

Wireless - Lectrosonics & Shure
« on: September 08, 2018, 10:18:02 PM »

I have some 600 MHz Sennheiser EW 100 G3 lavalier systems I need to replace.  My plan is to stick with 400-500 MHz systems.  I have primarily been looking at Lectrosonics LMb/R400a systems and Shure ULXD systems.  The Venue receiver is nice but more expensive (money is not abundant).  Interestingly, I have looked around the internet for feedback on the R400a and have found virtually no information.  Ultimately, I'm looking for feedback on these two choices from others with experience because I have no experience with either.  I know the R400a is narrower in freq coverage than the bodypacks which is unfortunate but don't know much else about it with respect to user experiences.

Our receive rack is in our balcony about 50-60 feet from the stage and these systems are primarily used by our pastor and worship leader.  Because they are our primary systems, I obviously want to buy quality gear.
 Our main board is a 40-channel analog Soundcraft (did I say money was tight?) but I expect we will replace it with a digital board in the next few years.  We have 6-7 systems to replace, two that are primary, two others that are used semi-routinely and then two others that are used infrequently.

Our Sennheisers have been very good to us but I was leaning towards one of the newer digital products.  Our G3 systems run 30 mW of output where as the ULXD is 20 mW (max) and the Lectro will run 50 mW.  In the increasingly combative spectrum environment, I was thinking that the 50 mW Lectro vs the 20 mW Shure might be a positive.  I suppose that Sennheiser's analog G4 systems could be an option (30 mW up to 50 mW and cheaper) but I thought if we were upgrading that we should should move to digital.

Thought I would throw this out for any feedback.  Thanks in advance.

Jay Cobb

MikeHarris

Re: Wireless - Lectrosonics & Shure
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 11:58:35 AM »

We are dealers for all 3 brands..and recently have completed delivering a 16x G4..16x ULXD..as well as a couple of Venue systems. Lectro recently discontinued the Venue & Venue WB..leaving just the Venue ll..widening the cost gap between the 3. The Lectro system includes antenna distro for 6 channels and the LMb's are indestructible. The Shure includes antenna distro in 4 ch version..while it's additional for the Sennheiser. If handheld mics come into the equation..cost escalates with the Lectro. One of our larger ULXD systems has 16ch..another 16 channel w/8x DPA heads.

Jay Cobb

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 07:29:56 PM »

We are dealers for all 3 brands..and recently have completed delivering a 16x G4..16x ULXD..as well as a couple of Venue systems. Lectro recently discontinued the Venue & Venue WB..leaving just the Venue ll..widening the cost gap between the 3. The Lectro system includes antenna distro for 6 channels and the LMb's are indestructible. The Shure includes antenna distro in 4 ch version..while it's additional for the Sennheiser. If handheld mics come into the equation..cost escalates with the Lectro. One of our larger ULXD systems has 16ch..another 16 channel w/8x DPA heads.

Our handheld systems (quantity eight) are also Sennheiser G3 but they are in an okay part of 500 MHz so they don't need to be replaced.  We don't currently use any antenna distribution so all of our receivers are single channel models and we just have antennas on the back of them.  They have performed fine for several years so my default plan was to do the same with the new systems which is part of why I was looking at R400a receivers or the standalone ULXD receivers.  We don't do much portable operating but we do take a couple of systems to portable locations outside the main sanctuary every once in a while.

I suspect any of the three options mentioned would be quality replacements but I have been trying to do a thorough job of researching things and looking for information to make the best possible decision.  I like the indestructible quality of the LMbs as you mention but I haven't used any modern Lectro gear.  While they have a very positive reputation, their user interface (e.g. LCD displays) and certain features like the membrane buttons look kind of klunky.  The Shure QLXD/ULXD gear looks more polished but that doesn't necessarily mean anything for performance.  I'm not crazy about the fact that the ULXD uses 30% less RF output than our current system which is one of the reasons I have been looking at the Lectro gear.

Jay

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 05:20:48 AM »

We're Lectrosonics and Sennheiser dealers, as well. The Venue2 is a great system and while the mainframe is a bit pricey, the system is very competitive on a per channel basis once you figure in the additional cost of antenna distro for the other brands.

If you are running Lectrosonics Wireless Designer software, you can IR sync the TX units and so you don't have to play with the membrane switches much other than for setting input gain. The switches themselves are solid and easy to use, except on the HMa plug on TX, which drives me nuts. I have big hands.

I have a demo units of Venue2, LR, HHa, HMa, LT and LMb

Our handheld systems (quantity eight) are also Sennheiser G3 but they are in an okay part of 500 MHz so they don't need to be replaced.  We don't currently use any antenna distribution so all of our receivers are single channel models and we just have antennas on the back of them.  They have performed fine for several years so my default plan was to do the same with the new systems which is part of why I was looking at R400a receivers or the standalone ULXD receivers.  We don't do much portable operating but we do take a couple of systems to portable locations outside the main sanctuary every once in a while.

I suspect any of the three options mentioned would be quality replacements but I have been trying to do a thorough job of researching things and looking for information to make the best possible decision.  I like the indestructible quality of the LMbs as you mention but I haven't used any modern Lectro gear.  While they have a very positive reputation, their user interface (e.g. LCD displays) and certain features like the membrane buttons look kind of klunky.  The Shure QLXD/ULXD gear looks more polished but that doesn't necessarily mean anything for performance.  I'm not crazy about the fact that the ULXD uses 30% less RF output than our current system which is one of the reasons I have been looking at the Lectro gear.

Jay
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 08:43:18 AM »

Looking forward to Lectro bringing out a successor to the Venue II with wider frequency range (470-608) and Dante (like they've been able to do with Duet series)
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 08:43:18 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.