ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: dbx vs PEAVEY  (Read 6981 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: dbx vs PEAVEY
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 07:16:23 PM »

The DBX 360 is a fully configurable 3 in  6 out DSP, inputs 1 & 2 can be AES digital as well.

The now discontinued DBX 4800 is a 4 in 8 out with AES as well.

The DBX 4800 is discontinued but not the DBX 4820 which is the same except for the screen. But I assume is totally out of the OP price range. If he doesn't already have a digital mixer that could do all of what he is looking for he should look into getting one.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 07:28:52 PM »

The DBX 360 is a fully configurable 3 in  6 out DSP, inputs 1 & 2 can be AES digital as well.
The DBX 4800 is discontinued but not the DBX 4820 which is the same except for the screen. But I assume is totally out of the OP price range. If he doesn't already have a digital mixer that could do all of what he is looking for he should look into getting one.

Since you both seem pretty familiar with the product, are you aware there are no capital letters in the trademark dbx? DBX is the stock symbol for Dropbox.

Mac

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 07:45:36 PM »

Since you both seem pretty familiar with the product, are you aware there are no capital letters in the trademark dbx? DBX is the stock symbol for Dropbox.

Mac

I guess it's one of those things you look at but never really look at!

Matt Greiner

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 09:24:02 PM »

I looked, the one i used before was the dbx driverack+  and it only had low, mid and high outputs on the back.  The OP listed the dbx driverack pa2, which i believe also had preconfigured outputs. 

The driverack 360 does appear, when looking at the back panel, to have the the same configuration ability as the VSX for assigning outputs.  I've never used it, but that would be a large improvement over the driverack+.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 10:59:59 PM »

Mac

I was not aware of that. I have a tendency to capitalize company names that are made up of letters. I will try to remember that in the future. In my life time I have used so many different dbx products and I have my favorites and most of them seem to be the most expensive ones. I started to capitalize dbx just as I wrote this, some habits are hard to break.

MikeHarris

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 08:54:55 AM »

dbx is David Blackmer Xray.
In early 70's my office was at my dads space..Mr Blackmer returned my call..spoke to dad..their shared military experience led to discussion..X stood for experimental.

Jesse Scott

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 12:52:29 PM »

I used the dbx pa2 for a while, and I found it to be a good starting point. It's a big step up from not using any processor at all, and a good way to learn. The auto eq function is interesting, and I have used it often to get some ideas about the system and the space, but it only gives you a rough idea of what's going on, and always gives an eq that you would not want to actually use. It invariably gives huge scoops and boosts all over the place. I used the wireless function to really learn about eq, standing right in front and adjusting the eq can really help you learn how to pin point frequencies, and let's you hear immediate feedback of every change you make, instead of running back and forth from the rack to the foh.

I would absolutely recommend the pa2 to beginners with a small system, it is an excellent learning platform and you can certainly improve your sound a great deal. I would say that it's not suited for the serious professional, and certainly not for large systems.

If you have the budget, the dbx VENU360 is much more versatile and will probably last you longer in your career before you hit limitations.

Edit: just an additional note, the outputs come as low mid high, but you can set them as full range outputs and use your external crossover if you prefer, or use them to set up multiple systems in multiple rooms.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 12:57:47 PM by Jesse Scott »

James A. Griffin

Re: DBX vs PEAVEY
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 06:33:00 PM »

The DRPA2  midrange output is reversed polarity, and has no polarity reverse function.

Art, that's the most bizarre glitch imaginable in a "pro" product.  How did you manage to stumble on to it?    Does DBX know about this?  Seems like it would be fixable in later iterations.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »

Art, that's the most bizarre glitch imaginable in a "pro" product.  How did you manage to stumble on to it?    Does DBX know about this?  Seems like it would be fixable in later iterations.
The reversed midrange problem may have been on the DRPA+, not the DRPA2 as I previously wrote in this thread.

Back around 2011 there were some measurements done on the DRPA+, the only thread I found was this:
https://soundforums.net/community/threads/well-thats-not-gonna-fucking-work.2632/

I measured the polarity inversion from input to output on the DRPA, but have not measured the DRPA+ or the DRPA2.

Art

Michael Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 05:23:57 PM »

The reversed midrange problem may have been on the DRPA+, not the DRPA2 as I previously wrote in this thread.

I can confirm that the PA+ had this issue. I owned one at the time the update came out.

It's listed at the very bottom of the v1.100 release notes:

https://dbxpro.com/en-US/softwares/driverack-pa-updater-windows
Lead Instructor / Smaart SPL Product Manager - Rational Acoustics
Technical Editor - ProSoundWeb.com
Freelance Systems Engineer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 05:23:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.