ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New tops  (Read 7042 times)

ollie johns

New tops
« on: September 06, 2018, 04:36:46 PM »

Hi,

I have a pair of mackie thump 15s which I use with a pair of srm 1801 subs but I think it’s time to move the mackies thumps along for something better.

I’m thinking of either a pair of Martin F12s or ekx12p or etx12p, keeping the subs as is for the moment. I also have a pair of rcf esw 1018s when I need a bit of extra bass.

Can anyone offer any advice on what tops to go with? I’m leaning toward the ev, they are active and they look nicer, but I’m not sure on the sound quality compared to the martins.

Also if I went with ev are etx worth the almost double the ekx?

I’d be great full for any help, cheers

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: New tops
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 07:34:41 PM »

Hi Ollie, questions very similar to yours come up on a monthly and nearly weekly basis, and the suspects are always the same.  Questions you'll need to answer - budget, coverage area, volume (SPL).  Unless your needs are vastly unique, have a look at these recent threads:

This week's discussion

Last week's discussion

The week before that

Earlier in August

Beginning of August

July's discussion

As you can see, this sort of topic gets talked here quite frequently and the market just doesn't change that quickly, so more likely than not the advice you need is in the threads above.  If not, at least it'll give you an hour or so of good information and research!  Hope this helps!

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 09:07:27 PM »

...keeping the subs as is for the moment. I also have a pair of rcf esw 1018s when I need a bit of extra bass.

You are on the right track, as most are lacking "subbage" going into it.  I have no advice; just my love for 12" tops over 18" subs.  ;)

Uber*$ top cabs (>$1000/cab) in the DJ world are just not necessary for gigs under 200 peeps (my opinion; other may disagree... ). What is your target audience/venue - bar, wedding, club (whatever that is), outdoor (company picnic), outdoor (festival), dance-floor only, cover an acre or 2 evenly (like a car show)?

Just read what Jeff suggested, then ask away!

-Dennis

*meaning "over", "above" or "across."
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:20:08 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 09:36:04 PM »

Can anyone offer any advice on what tops to go with? I’m leaning toward the ev, they are active and they look nicer, but I’m not sure on the sound quality compared to the martins.

Also if I went with ev are etx worth the almost double the ekx?

I can't help you with the Martin boxes, never heard them but I'd bet they will need the matching amps and processing to come anywhere close to the performance available from a modern powered box and that will add significantly to the purchase price.
The EKX line is the sweet spot of the EV powered lineup, for ETX money(or less) you can have boxes from other manufacturers that will outclass them by a fair margin. (Yamaha DSR)
Any of these will be a HUGH upgrade from Thumps, no that is not an exaggeration.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:39:08 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »

Martin CDD Live are great.  User adjustable DSP, FIR, Dante.  Asymmetric dispersion.  Point source/coax.  They're a step above the usual suspects, the CDD Live 15 over TH118 subs is a great combo. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ollie johns

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 12:59:37 PM »

thanks for your help guys.

I went with the etx 12s in the end.

As said the martins would need at least an amp and prossessor so powered seem the best route here.

I a b-ed them against the ekx and they were a lot better even my wife said she could tell a big difference on the highs with the clarity. Although she wasn’t massively keen on my spending so much she knew that they were the ones to go for.

One thing.... should they be run on 0dbu and inputs set to unity?

Thanks

ollie johns

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 05:18:28 AM »

Ok so here’s another question.

Because I have passive subs running from an itech 4000 do you think I would be better running the subs from the etx crossover sub out then in to the amp or using the low pass in the amp or should I use my drive rack to cross over both the tops and subs from that?

Cheers

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »

Because I have passive subs running from an itech 4000 do you think I would be better running the subs from the etx crossover sub out then in to the amp or using the low pass in the amp or should I use my drive rack to cross over both the tops and subs from that?

The easiest solution is to use the crossover in the amp for the sub, the ETX series link output is fullrange and is not affected by internal crossover settings. So it won't matter electrically what sequence you wire everything..
a: mixer out to the sub amp first and then link out from there to the ETX12s
b: mixer out to the ETX12s first and then link out from there to the sub amp inputs.

but if the amp is racked with other equipment it would be tidier to use option a.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 08:17:38 PM »

Contact EV and ask what the system delay is. Compensate for that in the top's dsp.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 08:17:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.