ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving lights on a budget  (Read 9048 times)

Rick Powell

Moving lights on a budget
« on: September 04, 2018, 06:45:40 PM »

We are down to 1 mover, which I originally obtained about 5 years ago, the other two probably aren't worth the trouble of fixing as they are cheap generic Chinese lights. Looking for something 60-90w LED in the $300 apiece range, open to buying used. Need 3 of them. Gobos, prisms, some built in FX like pan and tilt reverse would be nice. Any advice or suggestions?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Moving lights on a budget
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 07:57:15 PM »

We are down to 1 mover, which I originally obtained about 5 years ago, the other two probably aren't worth the trouble of fixing as they are cheap generic Chinese lights. Looking for something 60-90w LED in the $300 apiece range, open to buying used. Need 3 of them. Gobos, prisms, some built in FX like pan and tilt reverse would be nice. Any advice or suggestions?
Chauvet Pro R1X Spot and R2X Spot are the cheapest I'd consider buying.  Its better to spend a little more for still-working lights than a little less for too-soon-broken ones.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 12:33:28 AM »

$300? I don't think you will find anything worthwhile.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 08:55:00 AM »

$300? I don't think you will find anything worthwhile.

More or less this. Otherwise you're just going t be in the same boat you are now in a few years. Chauvet and ADJ have good offerings in the $6-700 range in both LED and standard discharge lighting, I'd start looking there.

Also, what type of head are you after? Spot? Wash? That will affect the price as well.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Rick Powell

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 09:27:30 AM »

More or less this. Otherwise you're just going t be in the same boat you are now in a few years. Chauvet and ADJ have good offerings in the $6-700 range in both LED and standard discharge lighting, I'd start looking there.

Also, what type of head are you after? Spot? Wash? That will affect the price as well.

Spot, LED, single lens are what I have now and what I’d like to replace with. The generics I have now are 45w and I’d like to go a little brighter.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »

Hi Rick, so to make some comparisons...

The ADJ Pocket Spot Pro hits your budget but falls short on features and output.

The Chauvet Intimidator Intimidator Spot 260 checks all the boxes for features and output but is double your price. 

Both are DJ-grade fixtures.  I wouldn’t consider buying anything used at that level, and even buying pro-grade movers in used condition comes with additional considerations (none of which will be favorable at $300/ea.). 

You could toss in more generic Chinese, but assuming you’d like to go name-brand with the purchase you’ll either need to grow your budget or shrink your requirements.  Hope this helps!

Rick Powell

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 07:25:43 PM »

I was actually checking out the Intimidator 260s and they look like they would work well - we do about 25 shows a year with movers, so if they went in a case, they’d hopefully hold up for several years.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 07:36:30 PM »

25 uses per year definitely warrants spending more money to get the right thing, at least in my opinion.  Cases are a must if you’re doing any real traveling.  Cleaning out dust from fans, PCBs, and heatsinks can also work wonders for long-term reliability.  Some units I have in my current inventory are pushing 20 years old, so with proper care a few years of use usually isn’t too much to ask, even for DJ-grade lights.  Good luck!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »

....they’d hopefully hold up for several years.

I'm a big Chauvet fan, used a LOT in installs over the last 6+ years, but for every other weekend use - I would steer clear of the DJ level fixtures.  Cheap movers don't have the same reliability as, say, cheap speakers or amps. 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Nate Zifra

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 03:55:58 PM »

Only thing I'll add is, I am currently sending out one of my Trio's (a Chauvet DJ product) out for warranty.  It came with a two year warranty.  It has been used maybe a total of 12 times since its purchase in Feb.  The head just stopped rotating.

Chauvet responded within the same hour as filling out their online form with an RMA for warranty repair.  I'm sending out the fixture shortly and will keep anyone who's interested updated.  I'm very impressed so far with the response.

I'm a big Chauvet fan, used a LOT in installs over the last 6+ years, but for every other weekend use - I would steer clear of the DJ level fixtures.  Cheap movers don't have the same reliability as, say, cheap speakers or amps. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 03:55:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.