ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Controller which saves fade-in and fade-out times per scene  (Read 4577 times)

Steven Thomas

I currently own a Rockforce 384 DMX controller. Manual here: https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/content/Manuals/ROCKFORCE384_Manual_HR.pdf

This controller may not offer what I’m looking for, but here’s my questions:

1.  I need a DMX controller that allows fade times that can be written into each scene. For example if I select scene 1 (LED RGB lights), I want it to slowly be able ramp to whatever levels are set. Also, when selecting another scene, I want scene 1 to slowly fade and the next chosen scene to adjust its entry and exit fades based it’s scene saved parameters.  It would be nice if each scene could be programmed for fade time in and fade time out. I would be OK if each scene could save the fade time that would be the same for scene entry and scene exit. Exit would be either to blackout or by selecting another scene.  Is there a reasonably priced DMX Controller that offers this ability?
2.  Also, I would like to recall the scenes via MIDI. So MIDI capable?
/R
It would be nice to have at least 384 channels.
Steve

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: DMX Controller which saves fade-in and fade-out times per scene
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 03:46:45 PM »

That's a pretty common feature.
You can get more control with an Ipad based program like Luminaire.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:10:05 PM »

Hi Steven, yes, both of these requests are common features on most consoles and software programs. 

Before I make any recommendations, do you actually use all 384 channels?  Also, what do you consider "reasonably priced" to be?

Steven Thomas

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 11:03:12 PM »

Thanks for the replies. 
 Dave, Luminaire 3 does seem like an option, but I’d like some thoughts on which dmx interface I could use with Luminaire that would offer wireless dmx control along with midi. I would write midi note ON/OFF events to my sequencer and have the sequencer play back the light show recording. To start, I plan on connecting 16 ADJ tripar profile plus LED fixtures. I do have an old Enttec DMX usbpro. No artnet so it might work with a lightning cable of sort to the iPad. I would just buy an artnet and go wireless, but how do I also have the midi for playback from my sequencer?  Is there an artnet dmx box that also offers midi IN port?

Jeff, I could get away with 192 channels.  Ideally I want to keep it less than $600.

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:03:38 AM by Steven Thomas »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 08:52:16 PM »

Jeff, I could get away with 192 channels.  Ideally I want to keep it less than $600.

Thanks.  The reason I ask is that if you’re truly using 384 channels (or even 192 for that matter), you’re going to want a far more capable controller that can handle the larger number of devices with elegance.  These super-cheap boards can technically do it, but programming them is tricky and far from being user friendly. 

For $600, there aren’t many hardware board worth owning.  Add a zero to that number and then you have options, but for the money a software solution is the best bang to buck that will really get you what I think you want.  Martin’s M-PC (which I believe is now called Onyx by Obsidian) plus an M-Touch wing will get you all that for within your budget.  A used ETC Smartfade ML would also be a suitable choice as are some of the older Elation products if you must have a hardware-only solution.  Hope this helps!

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 02:21:01 AM »

Elation Showdesigner 1 (as far as I can remember) may do exactly what you are looking for. I rarely programmed fades (except by accident) but I seem to recall that it was a feature.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Steven Thomas

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »

Thanks.  The reason I ask is that if you’re truly using 384 channels (or even 192 for that matter), you’re going to want a far more capable controller that can handle the larger number of devices with elegance.  These super-cheap boards can technically do it, but programming them is tricky and far from being user friendly. 

For $600, there aren’t many hardware board worth owning.  Add a zero to that number and then you have options, but for the money a software solution is the best bang to buck that will really get you what I think you want.  Martin’s M-PC (which I believe is now called Onyx by Obsidian) plus an M-Touch wing will get you all that for within your budget.  A used ETC Smartfade ML would also be a suitable choice as are some of the older Elation products if you must have a hardware-only solution.  Hope this helps!

Thanks Jeff, I thought that was the case. Duane mentioned the older Elation Showdesigner 1 which sells around $800. It appears this console does save fades with scenes. All of the cheaper boards only offer fades using chase. I need the midi ability to control sequenced scenes that can offer fades when required.  Right now I ordered the Dmxking eDMX1 Pro.  I will use Luminair 3 for most work, but will need to eventually buy something like the Showdesigner 1 for demanding shows that can’t afford the possibility of WiFi issues.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.