ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need wireless mic rig recommendations please  (Read 2905 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Need wireless mic rig recommendations please
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 09:54:23 PM »

I have an e945 wired mic and I love it. My only complaint about it is that it seems to be more prone to feedback than other mics due to its supercardioid pickup pattern.

But wow, I've never sung through a dynamic mic with more clarity.

I've heard the e935 is essentially the same quality, only standard cardioid.

I've never heard the e835. How does it compare between the Beta58 and the e945?

IMHO the 835 on a Senny transmitter is only slightly better than tin cans and string so that means I think slightly less of it than I do of Beta-everything-vocal.  IOW, no.

The 935 sounds more even, tonally, and the cardioid pattern is fairly wide.  The 945 sounds better but has the classic rear lobe in its pattern.  If you have a consistent presenter or singer I think it's a good choice but I've never used it with wedding toasts & speeches.

Of the Shure flavors, for general use I still like the SM58 capsule.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Gaines

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 10:42:02 PM »

Thanks everyone for the participation! With all the good input, I may be able to pull the trigger on a new system in the next day or so.
Keep it coming, y'all!

Thomas Le

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 11:44:33 PM »

I have an EW100 G3 kit that I'm content with, though I'm not too happy with the e835. To my ears they are "boxy"/very mid heavy, but I guess that's because I'm so used to the SM58 that I fight the channel EQ to match the SM58 lol. I'm contemplating on switching capsules to e865 or something in the e900 area. The bodypack is used with the HSP 4 which I'm glad I upgraded from lavs. Not pictured is the UA874 paddles.

I bought this kit months before I knew about QLX-D. Had I known, I would have waited, but I needed a kit to upgrade from the "low end" fast back then.

If buying new, definitely QLX-D. If you can buy used, you can piece a good kit using any EW G3 family or even if you're lucky, score a set on the now discontinued UHF-R.

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 10:39:48 AM »

Hi Scott,

I've been very happy with my JTS Wireless UHF-20 System.  It's a little known brand but has rock solid RF.  I've had better luck with it vs Shure's QLX-D.  The build quality, sound quality, and battery life have all been very good.  It's exceptionally scale-able if you'd like to add more channels in the future (built-in antenna and AC power distro).  Also, NO wall warts!!

Dual-channel flavor:
http://www.jts.com.tw/english/products/detail.php?fid=1&subid=6&pid=81

Single-channel:
http://www.jts.com.tw/english/products/detail.php?fid=1&subid=6&pid=85

Jeff

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 12:46:15 PM »

We need something we can confidently walk around with that isn't gonna drop out on us.

Some are certainly better than others in this regard, but the more you can do to keep a clear line of sight between the transmitter and the receiver, the less you'll suffer dropouts.

The human body is pretty good at absorbing RF energy, so if your audience is between the transmitter and the receiver, you'll see a lot more dropouts regardless of the system used. Moving the receivers closer to the stage or elevating the antennas can improve reliability. Closer is generally superior to far away + higher.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 06:52:09 PM »

Hello all:
I'm the singer/bass/soundperson for a Yacht Rock group, and we are doing a lot of corporate and wedding gigs. One of our big problems is we don't have a wireless mic for speeches and other stuff.

I have no experience with modern wireless gear, but we need to get this going. Can y'all provide me with some recommendations? Preferably something in Beta58 territory, with a quality receiver/transmitter.
We need something we can confidently walk around with that isn't gonna drop out on us.
Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.
Price range: $750-1500

I've always enjoyed my SLX systems with SM58 mics. I've had 4 in a rack system, always placed on stage near the performer and I may have had 1 drop out in 5 years, but that's it.Solid, reliable, and my go-to. Audi has a similar system (AP something or-other?) which is also compared to a Shure SLX system.

I just picked up another 2 units in the low 500MHz freq for under $900 for two complete units with rack ears and BNC antennas extensions shipped to my door. 
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Steve Garris

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »

Hello all:
I'm the singer/bass/soundperson for a Yacht Rock group, and we are doing a lot of corporate and wedding gigs. One of our big problems is we don't have a wireless mic for speeches and other stuff.

I have no experience with modern wireless gear, but we need to get this going. Can y'all provide me with some recommendations? Preferably something in Beta58 territory, with a quality receiver/transmitter.
Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.
Price range: $750-1500

I recently purchased a Senn G3 system with the 835 handheld to be used for the exact same purpose. I couldn't be happier with the results. I like the mic so much that I'm bringing it to my rental gigs and using it for lead vocals with rock bands. I've not had a single drop out, and tonally it sounds fine.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.