ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Srx 812  (Read 2359 times)

Bob Kidd

Srx 812
« on: September 01, 2018, 08:09:27 AM »

Picked up pair of 812s an they sound great. I just picked up a small gig this evening that is in a very small venue with not a whole lot of room for setup. How well do you think a pair of 812s would perform without subs? Could possibly fit 2 prx 618xlfs in room.

Steve Garris

Re: Srx 812
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »

Picked up pair of 812s an they sound great. I just picked up a small gig this evening that is in a very small venue with not a whole lot of room for setup. How well do you think a pair of 812s would perform without subs? Could possibly fit 2 prx 618xlfs in room.

If it's as small as you're suggesting, I'd bring just one xlf. Can you put it on an aux? Either way, that system should sound fantastic.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »

If it's as small as you're suggesting, I'd bring just one xlf. Can you put it on an aux? Either way, that system should sound fantastic.

Yep one XLF will do it - I've done that many times. Just set the sub to full and bring down those 812's to suit.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Kidd

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 02:26:19 PM »

Thanks Steve,

I was going to put sub on aux and run tops full range with a little low cut. Instead of using crossover in sub

Scott Gaines

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 04:23:19 PM »

This has basically been my small bar gig rig, only I have the 15s. SRX815Ps and a single PRX818XLFW. Sounds great!

I've recently acquired a pair of K12.2s, and they'll probably be my go-to tops for small bars now. I know, I know, the Yammy DXRs are better. But I got a ridiculous deal through a friend.

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »

I literally just joined the "800" club this week - finally.  Decided to bite the bullet and got a pair of SRX812p at a great price - delivered this past Thursday.  Today, opened up the boxes and all was inorder.  No shipping damage to the boxes or the units.  Took them on a brief sound trip this AM (my neighbours probably didnt appreciate the early alarm)..but WOW!  They sounded fantastic - and get ridiculously loud - and clean.  Every bit what others have said.  Looking forward to putting them to work but boy! These beasts are  heavy!  Looks like it's time for this +60YO to invest in gas-powered stands to help get these up in the air.

But the ? about the 6XLF playing nice together is great timing.  I have the P7series subs (sold off all my S718 subs to a fellow forum member this summer) and I'm curious to try different configs to learn what works & sounds best depending on venue. 

So far, so good. Almost completes my migration to 100% powered "A" and "B" rigs.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Scott Gaines

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 03:22:09 PM »

The sub question depends upon what kind of instrumentation you're talking about. Acoustic guitar duo, or bluegrass band, I wouldn't worry about a sub. But if there's gonna be bass/drums & the idea is to get the girls to dance, you need a sub. Probably just one though, if it's a small room.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 02:26:33 AM »

If it is a small room, they are fairly respectable for their size. While I don't play much anymore (READ: should not play anymore  ;) ) before an impromptu jam with some friends I had forgotten my Ampeg, however, I did have an SRX 812P and Eden preamp.

To my surprise, it handled my 5 string bass with ease, I even got some low end goodness out of my EHX HOG synthesizer. Obviously bass amps are meant to go loud rather than low, however, the SRX proved to have some authority. Granted always a little more fun with subs :-)
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Mal Brown

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 12:21:29 PM »

That is sort of a trend for bass players using effects these days.  There is a group of us using FRFR boxes and preamps rather than bass amps.   I did it all last year with Aguillar and Mesa preamps and a QSC K12.  (1 preamp for each of 2 basses combined using an sFx Micro Mix).   Source Audio effects chain.

Resigned my seat in that act and formed up something more roots and Americana and so went back to an amp
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 12:21:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.