ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha QL/CL De-esser  (Read 5919 times)

TomBoisseau

Yamaha QL/CL De-esser
« on: September 01, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »

I've been using the Yamaha QL1 and 5 for a number of years now, but have never been able to use the de-esser effectively.  It just doesn't seem to work well.  I'm curious what others think, or would be delighted to have suggestions as to some recommended settings the might improve it's effectiveness.

Thanks,
Too

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Yamaha QL/CL De-esser
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 09:02:08 AM »

On tougher voices I'll use a channel of the dynamic EQ in the premium rack.

But yes, the de-esser just barely works. I feel like the display is lying to us and I always end up pushing it harder than I think I should to get the result I want to hear.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »

I've been using the Yamaha QL1 and 5 for a number of years now, but have never been able to use the de-esser effectively.  It just doesn't seem to work well.  I'm curious what others think, or would be delighted to have suggestions as to some recommended settings the might improve it's effectiveness.

Thanks,
Too
I don't know if they use the same processing in the older OS, but this guy seems frustrated by it, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f76aOEp-G_k
I agree that the premium rack dynamic eq does a much better job, and the graphic seems to be more accurate as well.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:58:14 PM by boburtz »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 02:37:52 PM »

Thanks,
Too

The only dedicated de-esser I have ever found to be effective is the dbx903 (?), which was a module of the 900 series rack frame. It was a great system, and until recently still commanded real money on reselling sites. It's a shame dbx discontinued the series, it included a 160X compressor clone, a parametric eq, noise reduction, and maybe others I can't recall.

Mac

TomBoisseau

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 04:37:15 PM »

The only dedicated de-esser I have ever found to be effective is the dbx903 (?), which was a module of the 900 series rack frame. It was a great system, and until recently still commanded real money on reselling sites. It's a shame dbx discontinued the series, it included a 160X compressor clone, a parametric eq, noise reduction, and maybe others I can't recall.

Mac

Frankly, even my old, cheap, unbalanced, half rack, DBX 263A de-esser worked better than the QL/CL de-essers!  In fact it worked quite well!

I remember the 900 series.  It was quite a nice system.

Tom

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 12:33:35 AM »

Remember when the "Good" racks back in the analog days had some DPR402? That De-Esser always worked for me. And those Drawmer gates... Those were the days, my friend!
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »

Remember when the "Good" racks back in the analog days had some DPR402? That De-Esser always worked for me. And those Drawmer gates... Those were the days, my friend!

My first decade in the biz was all about 900 racks [loaded with gates and comps], Drawmer gates and comps, and BSS DPR402s.  :) 

To speak to the OP, i'll echo what was said before.  The Premium Rack Dynamic EQ makes a pretty good de-esser.  That's how i have used it in the past.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 02:41:09 PM »

My first decade in the biz was all about 900 racks [loaded with gates and comps], Drawmer gates and comps, and BSS DPR402s.  :) 

To speak to the OP, i'll echo what was said before.  The Premium Rack Dynamic EQ makes a pretty good de-esser.  That's how i have used it in the past.
I have been feeling the same way about the dedicated deesser on the m32 we got. Nowhere as transparent as the low ball one I was using on the KT compressor with the analog rig

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 05:44:45 PM »

use a channel of the dynamic EQ in the premium rack

Thanks for the tip.

Rick Earl

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »

Mac

They do have a 500 series that is based on the 900 series.  ]https://dbxpro.com/en/products/520[url][/url]The 502 is based upon the 902 de-esser.  And at a pretty good price point.  I keep a 500 series lunch box around with a few toys in it, because sometimes I like to have a real knob handy.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.