ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crown Ma12000i suffers on mid-hi duty!?  (Read 10237 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Crown Ma12000i suffers on mid-hi duty!?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 12:52:44 PM »

Thanks, Tim.

It was mentioned in the thread linked a couple of pages back that the HF quality suffers, though I do wonder if it was just down to the frequency response changes. It looks like the images have all disappeared now, but I've seen what happens when you change the HF impedance with a switching amplifier.

Time for a shootout between the MA12000i and the iNukes I'm using at the minute. I expect the Crown to sound better, but if that's the case I'll have to find another sub amp.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 01:01:00 PM »

I have first gen ITech 8000s and have never noticed anything in the mid highs. I have also used Itech 5000s, 9000s and 4x3500 and never noticed anything out of the norm.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 01:47:56 PM »

Thanks, Tim.

It was mentioned in the thread linked a couple of pages back that the HF quality suffers, though I do wonder if it was just down to the frequency response changes. It looks like the images have all disappeared now, but I've seen what happens when you change the HF impedance with a switching amplifier.

Time for a shootout between the MA12000i and the iNukes I'm using at the minute. I expect the Crown to sound better, but if that's the case I'll have to find another sub amp.

Chris

I think it was Langston Holland who documented this and he's still around in Florida, somewhere.  He moderated the Measurement & Testing forum previously...

There was discussion about the likely nature of why Crown did what they did, IIRC.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kashif Hudson

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2018, 06:48:50 PM »

Thanks, Tim.

Chris

Hi all,

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I was just wondering what the conclusion was, regarding using the larger Crown Class I amplifiers for mid-high duties.
I have an MA12000i here that I'd like to use for some full-range speakers (once I've built the crossover). The linked thread looked like the iTech has a load-dependent HF response. Since this amp will only see use on one set of speakers, I think I'm okay just to EQ that out. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

After doing away with the 9000i & 5000i in our inventory, we standardized with the 12000i across the board.  Though we use the 12000i for sub duty 99% of the time, they are fully capable of substituting for our I-Tech 4x3500 on full-range or mid-high applications if needed.  As Tim said, if the system is voiced to ones preference then things should be ok.

The phrasing I originally used to describe the first impressions of what we heard that day was not very technical and was not meant to scare anyone away.  The amps are solid and have served us well. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2018, 06:48:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.