ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Biamped Stage Wedges  (Read 6614 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Biamped Stage Wedges
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 12:58:43 PM »

Might be a way to insure you're not suppling Peavy (or the like) tho even d&b has top quality passive wedges.
Peavey makes biamped monitors ( I found at least one using google) but you probably couldn't find them if you don't know how to spell "Peavey" correctly....  ::)

If you add "no Peavey" to your riders, be sure to spell it properly.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 01:23:18 PM »

Peavey makes biamped monitors ( I found at least one using google) but you probably couldn't find them if you don't know how to spell "Peavey" correctly....  ::)

JR

I remember the DTH series.  LOUD.  Heavy.  Sounded pretty decent, especially for the era.  And it contained the same components Peavey had available to their other lines... the secret sauce was not in the transducers...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 02:43:20 PM »

I remember the DTH series.  LOUD.  Heavy.  Sounded pretty decent, especially for the era.  And it contained the same components Peavey had available to their other lines... the secret sauce was not in the transducers...
Yup, the typical Peavey customers were unwilling to pay up for better Peavey gear. I even had some discouraging discussions with Peavey dealers who couldn't understand why the better stuff has to cost more.

Peavey did quite well selling appropriate gear to everybody else.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 03:41:40 PM »

The only real reason as far as I can tell that Bi-Amped wedges can get louder is simply the amount of control you can have with them. Need less hi's, turn down the hi's amplifier or DSP. Need EQ only on the woofer, simply use the EQ to only affect the woofer or hi's conversely. Need to alter the crossover a little, easy to do since it's not actually part of the speaker. It has better odds of stability and higher level if and only if the operator is proficient at setting them up. That being said.......

I haven't experienced a much better performance from wedges that were Bi-Amped vs. their passive counterparts simply because MOST companies don't put the money into properly processing their Bi-Amped wedges. I have played on many a stage in my day and have worked many a stage as well. Granted not at the A-B national level, but I still to this day have not seen a 100% setup Bi-Amp wedge system with ALL the processing and control implemented.  The closest I have come was when I ran a private show in which Michael Bolton was performing. I had EAW Microwedges with the correct Lab-Gruppen amps, but there was one itsy bitsy thing about it; the system didn't have the DSP controller for the wedges. So I had the best wedges and amps, but not the controller that eeks out the last little bit from the wedges.

Truth be told, modern pro-level passive monitors simply do the biz pretty well. The JBL SRX 700 series is one such example. It just works be it full range or Bi-Amped. I agree with others, just advance the artist and let them know what they will be getting. Chances are good they will accept, most artists know that their riders are wish lists that many of their clients couldn't afford to provide.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 08:14:20 PM »

The DTH series did have different components compared to the other lines.  They had 4 inch voice coil horn drivers (44T and 44xt) and had the 500 watt black widows when the SP line, International line, etc sported 2 inch voice coil horn drivers and 350 watt woofers.  Pretty sure the DTH monitors had the 4 inch voice coil Horn drivers. Although it has been many years......  I do know that the 4 inch voice coil horn drivers started to get into the SP line as I had a pair of SP 1g's that had them as did the SP 1x.  Great speakers but the consumer I believe didn't have the pocket book or knowledge to take advantage of them.

Douglas R. Allen

Sammy Barr

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 04:44:13 PM »

The Peavey QW series is a great sounding box. Passive crossover sounds good, but bi-amping with the peavey dsp and lots of power make them come to life. They come in left and right hand versions.

MikeHarris

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 03:54:55 AM »

JR

Having sold pro audio equipment for 45+ years I must say..in a backhanded way..I don't know how to spell Peavy correctly, with a certain amount of pride

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 08:56:06 AM »

Having sold pro audio equipment for 45+ years I must say..in a backhanded way..I don't know how to spell Peavy correctly, with a certain amount of pride
That's really too bad Mike.
My system is entirely "pro", and still manages to integrate a few Peavey gems.
1545 monitors, bi-amped. I removed the crossovers, and put in a second handle. A pound or 3 less, and easier to handle. I put NL-4's in and out on the baffle board.
CS200x amps (4 of them) driving the horns, and MX-1500's for the Black Widows. It's quite a potent rig, and b-listers have never turned them down.
I also have a couple of their Audio Link 24*6 snakes. Almost 30 years, and never a problem.
Believe what you want, but in general, if something is operated within its design parameters, it should work just fine. Peavey is a great example of this.

It's easy to bash something, if your mind is not open to at least try.

Regards, Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 09:23:43 AM »

That's really too bad Mike.
My system is entirely "pro", and still manages to integrate a few Peavey gems.
1545 monitors, bi-amped. I removed the crossovers, and put in a second handle. A pound or 3 less, and easier to handle. I put NL-4's in and out on the baffle board.
CS200x amps (4 of them) driving the horns, and MX-1500's for the Black Widows. It's quite a potent rig, and b-listers have never turned them down.
I also have a couple of their Audio Link 24*6 snakes. Almost 30 years, and never a problem.
Believe what you want, but in general, if something is operated within its design parameters, it should work just fine. Peavey is a great example of this.

It's easy to bash something, if your mind is not open to at least try.

Regards, Chris.

Peavey has had some great equipment through the years. I've owned a lot of it. The thing is in recent they have pretty much dropped off the planet as far as advertising. Did you know they came out with a powered SP line? I waited for years for a powered SP2. Gave up and purchased other products. I went by their site today and see they have them now. No announcement, advertisements etc.  I may just get a pair for fun and old times sake but it seems they are out of focus in a lot of things.  Hate to see them going the way of Carvin but who knows.

Douglas R. Allen

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/665/118999

Sorry for the topic drift! 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:32:00 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

John durisko

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »

Asking for biamped wedges removes a passive crossover, a device that can change as components heat during the show. And when the artist asked for more and more as the show goes on and the tonality changes and your gbf goes to hell you’ll really appreciate a quality passive crossover or and properly set active unit.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.