ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: In the market for new speakers  (Read 14929 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: In the market for new speakers
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2018, 11:52:57 AM »

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the reply, would a mixer be necessary for a setup like this? I was just at guitar center and the guy I was speaking too was insisting that I need a mixer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see the need for a mixer for the application I'm going to use these speakers for.

I was looking into a DCR10 and a Dxs12 and doesn't look like I'll be able to afford both of those at the moment.

Thank you,
Nick

Ok, I’m an idiot for not realizing there is a stereo input on the back of the DXR. 

You don’t need a mixer.  Anyone who says so is an idiot too 😀

I am certain you will find that a single DXR15 in this space is more bottom end than any sane human being can tolerate.

Until you hear it, you can’t possibly understand just how loud this thing is going to be in that room.  I would be shocked if you end up using even half of the power it is capable of

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2018, 12:09:43 PM »

You've discovered that incremental growth is difficult. :)

That's why I suggested the DX15 - it can get you by for awhile and it's pretty painless to add one of Yamaha's subwoofers, adding another DX15, etc.  Yamaha did the heavy "brain" lifting for us.

That speaker gets hella loud, sounds good doing it and can survive a fair bit of abuse.  You can put one in right now and save up for the sub.

If the intentions are to add a sub soon after, would starting with a DXR12 be a better option? I haven't seen any discussion of that specific model. I own DXR10s and they have their place, but I would like to read about real experiences with the 12s. 

My "bigger" setup uses Impulse 1012 (12") over a dual 18 sub and the difference in clear fullness of the midrange (more of it) is very pronounced, as is the overall perceived undistorted output level.

Should I expect the same from a DXR12?

-Dennis
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:16:07 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »

If the intentions are to add a sub soon after, would starting with a DXR12 be a better option?

A 10" or 12" top with a 15" or 18" sub is a better system than a 15" fullrange box in every way, but if the customer doesn't have the $$ to buy the sub/sat system up front the the 15 fullrange is the better buy. One of these DXR15s mounted in a corner will produce very impressive "fullrange" sound, and for recorded music at least it doesn't suffer any clarity issues IMO when high passed over subs so it's still a good move with future upgrades in mind.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2018, 01:32:33 PM »

In a 30x30 (square) room, there will be a lot of unevenness of loudness in the low frequencies. Most likely your gym is not acoustically treated so I would not get too compulsive about trying to optimize the low frequency output to a professional level with a subwoofer. I have DXR10s and a sub, but I think you will be very pleasantly surprised how nice a single DXR15 will sound for your application. Stereo would be nice for the 1 or 2 people optimally located in the room to perceive the stereo soundstage, and wasted on the rest. The redundancy of having 2 speakers in case one breaks during a show is not necessary for a gym install with a high quality speaker. Street price of the DXR15 is only a couple hundred over your $500 budget and I am guessing without actually seeing/hearing the gym space that spending double that on a DXR10 and DXS12 sub, or a used top/sub system, would only improve the sound a small amount in that room.

Nick Martini

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2018, 07:17:25 PM »

Ok, I’m an idiot for not realizing there is a stereo input on the back of the DXR. 

You don’t need a mixer.  Anyone who says so is an idiot too 😀

I am certain you will find that a single DXR15 in this space is more bottom end than any sane human being can tolerate.

Until you hear it, you can’t possibly understand just how loud this thing is going to be in that room.  I would be shocked if you end up using even half of the power it is capable of

Hi Scott,

No worries at all, yeah I didn't think a mixer was necessary. I think I'm going to go with the single DXR15, hoping I can find one used for around $500, but I looks like I'll probably have to spend around $650. Wow seems like this thing is dang loud haha.

Thank you,
Nick

Nick Martini

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2018, 07:18:51 PM »

If the intentions are to add a sub soon after, would starting with a DXR12 be a better option? I haven't seen any discussion of that specific model. I own DXR10s and they have their place, but I would like to read about real experiences with the 12s. 

My "bigger" setup uses Impulse 1012 (12") over a dual 18 sub and the difference in clear fullness of the midrange (more of it) is very pronounced, as is the overall perceived undistorted output level.

Should I expect the same from a DXR12?

-Dennis

Hi Dennis,

As of right now I think I'll go with a DXR15 and then add a sub next year. If I have some extra cash I may even get a sub and another DXR15 next year.

Thank you,
Nick

Nick Martini

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2018, 07:21:39 PM »

In a 30x30 (square) room, there will be a lot of unevenness of loudness in the low frequencies. Most likely your gym is not acoustically treated so I would not get too compulsive about trying to optimize the low frequency output to a professional level with a subwoofer. I have DXR10s and a sub, but I think you will be very pleasantly surprised how nice a single DXR15 will sound for your application. Stereo would be nice for the 1 or 2 people optimally located in the room to perceive the stereo soundstage, and wasted on the rest. The redundancy of having 2 speakers in case one breaks during a show is not necessary for a gym install with a high quality speaker. Street price of the DXR15 is only a couple hundred over your $500 budget and I am guessing without actually seeing/hearing the gym space that spending double that on a DXR10 and DXS12 sub, or a used top/sub system, would only improve the sound a small amount in that room.

Hi George,

Thank you for the reply, I think I'm going to go with a single DXR15 for now. If this speaker performs as people say it will, I think It'll be fine for a year until I have the money to add a sub or another DXR15.

Thank you,
Nick

Nick Martini

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2018, 07:23:27 PM »

A 10" or 12" top with a 15" or 18" sub is a better system than a 15" fullrange box in every way, but if the customer doesn't have the $$ to buy the sub/sat system up front the the 15 fullrange is the better buy. One of these DXR15s mounted in a corner will produce very impressive "fullrange" sound, and for recorded music at least it doesn't suffer any clarity issues IMO when high passed over subs so it's still a good move with future upgrades in mind.

Hi Paul,

If I were to get a DXR12 and a sub I think I would have to wait a decent amount of time to save. I think for right now the DXR15 is my best bet. I can always add the sub next year or maybe even a sub and another DXR15.

Thank you,
Nick

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2018, 08:00:23 PM »

Surprised no one mentioned the Yamaha DBR, a step lower but still good quality powered speakers. Probably pair up with a DXS12 and you got a kickin' setup if you can spring up more cash. The used route would be a pair of Yamaha S115IV or S115V on a 500w Yamaha EMX box mixer.
Catching up with this thread.  The DBR doesn't have the HF section to keep up.  I use a DBR10 over a DXS12 for a drum monitor and need to upgrade it to a DSX.  The DBR is a good reliable entry level speaker but there's no comparison to the DXS series.  Big jump up.  The DBR is like more competitive with the Altos.  Maybe a hair better and might have better reliability.  But a single good speaker, particularly in this application, will work much better.

Nick Martini

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for all the great replies and reliable information. I have ordered a single DXR15 for now and will possibly order another and a subwoofer next year. I have two final questions; will it be ok to have the speaker on the floor? or should I get a stand? And lastly, how much of a difference in sound quality does the dual 6.35mm input have over the rca input?

Thank you,
Nick

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.