ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: In the market for new speakers  (Read 14947 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: In the market for new speakers
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 01:16:27 PM »

If I were to get a DXR 15 and wanted to add a second one a little further down the line how would I link them?

Thank you,
Nick

You might try looking at a picture of the back of the DXR - it has an output that can be used to send the signal (mixed to mono) to another DXR or similar speaker.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nick Martini

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2018, 01:56:19 PM »

If you have only 1 speaker, you would need to drive it from a mono source.  Your iphone (as an example) has a stereo output jack (head phones are 2 speakers).  You need to be able to pan the stereo signal to one side for a single speaker.

For a dual speaker setup, the stereo source will have 2 outputs.  You can easily get a cheep cable that will split the stereo jack into 2 mono jacks.  Each one goes to a speaker.

Another method is that you can run a cable from one speaker to the other and share the mono signal.

A DXR10 plus a DXS12 would indeed be a nice setup; however, I think you would have to more than double your budget to get into this system.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the reply, would a mixer be necessary for a setup like this? I was just at guitar center and the guy I was speaking too was insisting that I need a mixer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see the need for a mixer for the application I'm going to use these speakers for.

I was looking into a DCR10 and a Dxs12 and doesn't look like I'll be able to afford both of those at the moment.

Thank you,
Nick

Nick Martini

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »

You might try looking at a picture of the back of the DXR - it has an output that can be used to send the signal (mixed to mono) to another DXR or similar speaker.

Tim,

You're real pleasant to people who don't know what they're talking about, huh? As I've said before, I know little to nothing about audio and how these speakers/systems work. That's why I'm on this forum; to get information from people like you who actually know what they're talking about.

Thank you,
Nick

Nick Martini

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2018, 02:09:22 PM »

This system

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-PRX425-Speakers-PRX-418S-Subwoofers/dp/B00L6JHHUU/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1535825067&sr=1-11&keywords=jbl+pa+speaker

is used for $500, what kind of amp would I need for something like this? Should I stay away from something like this and focus more on the powered PA speakers?

UPDATE: just looked further into this... price is way too good to be true. Has to be a scam.

Thank you,
Nick
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 02:12:30 PM by Nick Martini »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2018, 02:14:47 PM »

Tim,

You're real pleasant to people who don't know what they're talking about, huh? As I've said before, I know little to nothing about audio and how these speakers/systems work. That's why I'm on this forum; to get information from people like you who actually know what they're talking about.

Thank you,
Nick

Nick - Tim was being helpful and made a good suggestion to you. Check out some of the suggestions made here (google them) and take a look at the backs of the speakers. That way you get an idea of how you can connect them up.
I also would recommend a DXR15 - used to have one and they ROCK hard for their size - great low end.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2018, 02:21:39 PM »

Tim,

Thank you,
Nick
Nick: Just a friendly note here... You have just asked for help on learning how to parallell park in a forum for Nascar/F1/WRC drivers. Marvel in the fact that they bother to share their knowledge with us, rather than get buthurt.

This is NOT a beginners forum, but unlike other places you usualy get solid answers here in stead of bullshit if you ask beginner questions. Suck it up and put some effort into understanding the answers you get. Tim, and others like him, is an absolute treassure trove of knowledge if you are actually here to learn. But don't expect them to treat you like a fragile child.

Nick Martini

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »

Nick - Tim was being helpful and made a good suggestion to you. Check out some of the suggestions made here (google them) and take a look at the backs of the speakers. That way you get an idea of how you can connect them up.
I also would recommend a DXR15 - used to have one and they ROCK hard for their size - great low end.

Hi Debbie,

I know Tim was being helpful, if he didn't want to be he wouldn't of posted. Maybe I'm reading his comments wrong, but that's the second post that has seemed semi snotty to me . I know you can't sense tone through a written message, but still. Thank you very much for the suggestion. Seems like almost everyone is in favor of the DXR15.

Just thinking for the future - do you think I would be better off with two DXR 15s or something like a single JBL PRX835?

Thank you,
Nick

Nick Martini

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2018, 02:28:50 PM »

Nick: Just a friendly note here... You have just asked for help on learning how to parallell park in a forum for Nascar/F1/WRC drivers. Marvel in the fact that they bother to share their knowledge with us, rather than get buthurt.

This is NOT a beginners forum, but unlike other places you usualy get solid answers here in stead of bullshit if you ask beginner questions. Suck it up and put some effort into understanding the answers you get. Tim, and others like him, is an absolute treassure trove of knowledge if you are actually here to learn. But don't expect them to treat you like a fragile child.

Johannes,

I understand Tim is just sharing his knowledge, but I didn't realize that this forum wasn't exactly for beginners and I apologize for that. This forum seemed like a reliable source to ask my question. I'm sure all of you know 10x or more than I know about this subject. I appreciate the time all of you have taken to respond.

Thank you,
Nick

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2018, 02:32:52 PM »

If I were to get a DXR 15 and wanted to add a second one a little further down the line how would I link them?

Yamaha has this all figured out for you. On the back panel you will find a set of stereo RCA inputs where a phone or some such device can be connected, this input is summed to mono and both channels are played through the speaker when you are just using one box.. no special cables or other external devices needed. You can also connect a second speaker via the Link Out XLR connector and with the flick of a switch send it either a mono summed signal or the Right channel of your stereo source while the original speaker plays the Left channel.

Nick Martini

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »

Yamaha has this all figured out for you. On the back panel you will find a set of stereo RCA inputs where a phone or some such device can be connected, this input is summed to mono and both channels are played through the speaker when you are just using one box.. no special cables or other external devices needed. You can also connect a second speaker via the Link Out XLR connector and with the flick of a switch send it either a mono summed signal or the Right channel of your stereo source while the original speaker plays the Left channel.

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much. After looking at the rear of the unit I thought that is how it worked, but the detailed response from you will definitely help for the future if end up getting this unit.

Thinking into the future - do you think I would be better off with two DXR 15s or something like a single JBL PRX835?

Thank you,
Nick

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.