ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: In the market for new speakers  (Read 14926 times)

Steve Loewenthal

Re: In the market for new speakers
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »

1 used QSC HPR 1521i
More than enough to be this space.
Also fits your budget.
Link below is 1 example.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/QSC/HPR152i-Powered-Monitor-114175605.gc
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Nick Martini

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 08:26:46 PM »

One of these would be best:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-DXR15-15-Active-Speaker/202418893678?epid=593001743&hash=item2f211b336e:g:O3IAAOSwumFbhleZ:sc:ShippingMethodExpress!48165!US!-1

A little less bass and smaller:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-DXR12-12-Active-Loud-Speaker/173461590216?epid=2254427161&hash=item28631dd0c8:g:NmMAAOSwsndbbM5m:sc:ShippingMethodExpress!48165!US!-1

You won't need 2 for that room.

These will get WAY louder than 10 of the ones you had, and will sound better doing it.

Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for the reply I will definitely look into both of these speakers. Looks like the Yamaha may be a little expensive at the moment. Could save a little more for them.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick Martini

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 08:29:18 PM »

1 used QSC HPR 1521i
More than enough to be this space.
Also fits your budget.
Link below is 1 example.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/QSC/HPR152i-Powered-Monitor-114175605.gc

Hi Steve ,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Looks like an awesome speaker. I'll have to go to my local guitar center and see if they have one in stock.

Thank you,
Nick

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 08:35:01 PM »

I'll have to go to my local guitar center and see if they have one in stock.

Unlikely you will find one of these in stock at your local GC. This is a used speaker.  Unlikely that you will find them new anywhere. They were replaced by a newer model from QSC. 10 years ago these speakers were considered entry level at the professional level. There may still be a few rental companies that have these in their inventory, but by now, most have replaced them with newer things.

Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 08:36:29 PM »

Hey nick, just a random thought.  How did you hook up your music to the amp that came with your underwhelming speakers? Depending on the sensitivity of the amp, you may not have had a strong enough signal to drive it to full power.  A couple new cables or a preamp would be a lot cheaper than a whole new speaker.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 08:38:26 PM »

Looks like an awesome speaker. I'll have to go to my local guitar center and see if they have one in stock.

Hi Nick.  I still use an inventory of QSC HPR152i and 122i speakers on the majority of my jobs.  They’re definitely good speakers, but also 10 years old give or take.  Not that this is inherently bad, but just something to keep in mind.  The HPR152i also weighs 100 pounds. 

The question you ask is very common here - you’ll be best served by either determining what it is you actually need and fit your budget to it, rent what you need until you can afford to own it, or settle with the very cheap products you can buy at the local music shop and live within the limits that they have.  Best of luck though!

Nick Martini

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 09:14:59 PM »

Unlikely you will find one of these in stock at your local GC. This is a used speaker.  Unlikely that you will find them new anywhere. They were replaced by a newer model from QSC. 10 years ago these speakers were considered entry level at the professional level. There may still be a few rental companies that have these in their inventory, but by now, most have replaced them with newer things.

Oh okay, I'll check out some of the reviews online to see how I feel about the speaker and make a decision from there. Thank you for giving me that option.

Nick

Nick Martini

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 09:19:14 PM »

Hey nick, just a random thought.  How did you hook up your music to the amp that came with your underwhelming speakers? Depending on the sensitivity of the amp, you may not have had a strong enough signal to drive it to full power.  A couple new cables or a preamp would be a lot cheaper than a whole new speaker.

Hi Jeremy,

So I have some live wire elite speakon to speakon cables going from channel a to the speaker and then from channel b to the speaker. Have the amp set on stereo mode and have the loudest dB setting on the amp. I wonder if the amp isn't powerful enough.

Nick

Nick Martini

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 09:24:55 PM »

Hi Nick.  I still use an inventory of QSC HPR152i and 122i speakers on the majority of my jobs.  They’re definitely good speakers, but also 10 years old give or take.  Not that this is inherently bad, but just something to keep in mind.  The HPR152i also weighs 100 pounds. 

The question you ask is very common here - you’ll be best served by either determining what it is you actually need and fit your budget to it, rent what you need until you can afford to own it, or settle with the very cheap products you can buy at the local music shop and live within the limits that they have.  Best of luck though!

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the reply. I don't really mind that the speaker are around 10 years old. Some of the older stuff is made better ( well made not with Audio equipment, I'm thinking more on the automotive side) . Thanks for the tips though.

Nick

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 09:57:42 PM »

Hi Jeremy,

So I have some live wire elite speakon to speakon cables going from channel a to the speaker and then from channel b to the speaker. Have the amp set on stereo mode and have the loudest dB setting on the amp. I wonder if the amp isn't powerful enough.

Nick
That explains how passive speakers are connected, and that is correct.

What are you using for the source?  Phone or iPod?  DJ mixer?  How much output comes from the source and the sensitivity of the amplifier will play a large part in how loud it goes and was the basis of the question.

Most of the better mid-range powered speakers like the Yamahas will have a pair of RCA jacks that would let you directly connect a phone or iPod.  Most basic stereo power amplifiers as found in a PA need a signal level boost from a phone to deliver full level.

You probably don't need stereo for this application.  In fact music mixed with things to one side or the other won't sound as good to the people nearby.  Given the noise floor of a gym, weights and machines clanking, and the probable desire for energy in the form of pumping bass, I would look into the best powered 15" two way from a name brand that you can afford.

BTW, Bose is not a name brand.  Most sound professionals consider them to be overprice and poorly performing.  As mentioned the low end would be Alto progressing up though the lower level EVs like the ZLX, the Yamahas and then off beyond your price range.

Rather than the local Guitar Center, which will try very hard to sell you whatever they have in stock, where are you located?  Many folks on this forum are also representatives or dealers and one in your region can probably get you a better deal on something better suited to your application.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 09:57:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.