ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: In the market for new speakers  (Read 14938 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: In the market for new speakers
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2018, 02:39:44 PM »

It's probably time for you to go online and look at the suggestions offered you here.

If you're paying $500 for a passive speaker, how does an amp fit into your budget?
A single decent powered speaker as noted in this thread is going to get you the best sound quality, volume , and value for your money. 

Nobody here is being snotty.  I've seen it when they are!
It's now up to you to do some work.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Nick Martini

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2018, 02:45:10 PM »

It's probably time for you to go online and look at the suggestions offered you here.

If you're paying $500 for a passive speaker, how does an amp fit into your budget?
A single decent powered speaker as noted in this thread is going to get you the best sound quality, volume , and value for your money. 

Nobody here is being snotty.  I've seen it when they are!
It's now up to you to do some work.

Hi Dave,

Well I've been doing some thinking and I could be wrong , but it seems like I may be better off waiting and doing some more saving. Not that $500 can't get me something nice, but from what I've seen $1,000 - $1,500 will most likely be a more accurate budget for what I'm looking for.

Thank you,
Nick 

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2018, 03:50:39 PM »

If you are willing to go to the used market, then $500 will get you real close.
Although I originally recommended a used QSC HPR 152, I am now convinced that you will be better off putting more of your budget into a subwoofer.

IMO, you would be satisfied with pretty much any of the recommendations that have been suggested thus far on this thread. All of them are orders of magnitude better than what you currently have.

Depending on what you ultimately get, you may or may not need a mixer. If you do need one, you can probably get something that will do the job for under $50. If you end up with a powered speaker that has the RCA jacks on the back, then you will (probably) not need a mixer. Once you ultimately decide what to get, post back on this thread and the members will chime in on whether a mixer will be of use.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2018, 03:54:49 PM »

Well I've been doing some thinking and I could be wrong , but it seems like I may be better off waiting and doing some more saving. Not that $500 can't get me something nice, but from what I've seen $1,000 - $1,500 will most likely be a more accurate budget for what I'm looking for.

I wouldn't disagree with your analysis.  It just really depends on what it is you actually need and what all it needs to do.  Keep in mind that the majority of us here are working professionals that own/use/sell sound equipment (or full-up production companies) and get paid for providing good results.  That's why you're getting the suggestions you have so far.  I don't mean that in a negative or condescending way at all!  I just volunteer that information because if all you need is some basic background music at your gym, you can probably find something to work for within your budget, understanding that it might not be top quality or performance.  For what it's worth the $10,000 system you reference at the beginning of this thread is still small chips for a lot of us, Bose aside.  Flip side, I've been in some rehearsal studios for dance/performance groups you've heard of who just use a Walmart sound system or a Fender all-in-one for rehearsal backing tracks, and it obviously works out just fine for them. 

Ask yourself what level of audio capability you need, and then what you're willing to pay for it.  I think you have some good suggestions here that will work for both within your budget and for 2-3x it.  We all certainly do our best trying to give suggestions, but there's also a limit to what a forum can do.  If you're really looking to step up to a larger system but have limited knowledge on how to build/operate it, your money might be best spent by hiring someone to handle the purchase and installation for you.  That way you'll get good results with less financial risk on your part should things not go as planned.  Best of luck with the decision! 

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2018, 04:00:20 PM »

I want to emphasize one more note: For this room, you only want a single speaker placed in a corner. (Others on this thread are more knowledgeable about placement than me so I may end up being corrected about this.) In any case, a single speaker (from any of the recommendations thus far) can go loud enough in a space of that size to cause serious hearing damage.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Nick Martini

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »

If you are willing to go to the used market, then $500 will get you real close.
Although I originally recommended a used QSC HPR 152, I am now convinced that you will be better off putting more of your budget into a subwoofer.

IMO, you would be satisfied with pretty much any of the recommendations that have been suggested thus far on this thread. All of them are orders of magnitude better than what you currently have.

Depending on what you ultimately get, you may or may not need a mixer. If you do need one, you can probably get something that will do the job for under $50. If you end up with a powered speaker that has the RCA jacks on the back, then you will (probably) not need a mixer. Once you ultimately decide what to get, post back on this thread and the members will chime in on whether a mixer will be of use.

Hi Steve,

I think for right now I'm going to get a single speaker and then eventually get the subwoofer. With that being said I can't decide if I should get one dxr15 now and then next year get another. Or if I should do a little more saving and get something like a JBl srx835p. Ok, wasn't sure if the mixer was needed sense there is input on the rear of these units.

Thank you,
Nick

Nick Martini

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2018, 04:39:15 PM »

I wouldn't disagree with your analysis.  It just really depends on what it is you actually need and what all it needs to do.  Keep in mind that the majority of us here are working professionals that own/use/sell sound equipment (or full-up production companies) and get paid for providing good results.  That's why you're getting the suggestions you have so far.  I don't mean that in a negative or condescending way at all!  I just volunteer that information because if all you need is some basic background music at your gym, you can probably find something to work for within your budget, understanding that it might not be top quality or performance.  For what it's worth the $10,000 system you reference at the beginning of this thread is still small chips for a lot of us, Bose aside.  Flip side, I've been in some rehearsal studios for dance/performance groups you've heard of who just use a Walmart sound system or a Fender all-in-one for rehearsal backing tracks, and it obviously works out just fine for them. 

Ask yourself what level of audio capability you need, and then what you're willing to pay for it.  I think you have some good suggestions here that will work for both within your budget and for 2-3x it.  We all certainly do our best trying to give suggestions, but there's also a limit to what a forum can do.  If you're really looking to step up to a larger system but have limited knowledge on how to build/operate it, your money might be best spent by hiring someone to handle the purchase and installation for you.  That way you'll get good results with less financial risk on your part should things not go as planned.  Best of luck with the decision!

Hi Jeff,

I'm sure I could do with one DXR15, but I'm the type of person that likes to have the best of the best consumer grade. I guess when I joined the forum I didn't realize that this was a pro forum. I'm glad people like yourself are helping such a noobie like myself. I'm not shocked it crazy some of the systems they have out there on the market. I guess I never realized that you could easily spend $10k for a single speaker.

Ultimately, Im looking for something that can shake that walls if need be, but I definitely won't have it that loud all the time. I'm willing to wait a year and save if that's what people suggest. I also would be fine with getting a dxr15 now and another next year. That is a good possibility, I never really thought about having a company install something for me. Maybe that would be my best bet.

Thank you,
Nick

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2018, 05:14:43 PM »

Tim,

You're real pleasant to people who don't know what they're talking about, huh? As I've said before, I know little to nothing about audio and how these speakers/systems work. That's why I'm on this forum; to get information from people like you who actually know what they're talking about.

Thank you,
Nick

Nick, I presumed you were able to do an internet search so I indicated as to what to look for.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2018, 05:21:47 PM »

Hi Dave,

Thank you,
Nick

You've discovered that incremental growth is difficult. :)

That's why I suggested the DX15 - it can get you by for awhile and it's pretty painless to add one of Yamaha's subwoofers, adding another DX15, etc.  Yamaha did the heavy "brain" lifting for us.

That speaker gets hella loud, sounds good doing it and can survive a fair bit of abuse.  You can put one in right now and save up for the sub.

I'd not go the route of home stereo speakers unless you have a pawn shop source that sells them for $20/pair.  You'll need a continuous supply of them if your weight lifters like it as loud as cycling and other exercise styles... just sayin'.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nick Martini

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2018, 08:07:42 PM »

You've discovered that incremental growth is difficult. :)

That's why I suggested the DX15 - it can get you by for awhile and it's pretty painless to add one of Yamaha's subwoofers, adding another DX15, etc.  Yamaha did the heavy "brain" lifting for us.

That speaker gets hella loud, sounds good doing it and can survive a fair bit of abuse.  You can put one in right now and save up for the sub.

I'd not go the route of home stereo speakers unless you have a pawn shop source that sells them for $20/pair.  You'll need a continuous supply of them if your weight lifters like it as loud as cycling and other exercise styles... just sayin'.

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for the reply. Ok, seems like I'm pretty set on a DXR15. Unless people think it would be better to save for something like a JBL srx835p? I think no matter what I go with I'll end up adding a sub in a year or so. I think I'll stay away from the home theater systems. I've had fairly poor luck with them in the past .

Thank you,
Nick
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 10:07:09 PM by Nick Martini »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2018, 08:07:42 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.