ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: In the market for new speakers  (Read 14921 times)

Nick Martini

Re: In the market for new speakers
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2018, 10:53:44 AM »

If you can get your money back on the current speakers by all means do so.
In your application (in most really) you will be happier with a sub and a 10 inch top rather than a 15 inch top and no sub.

On another note, in your original post you stated you were "looking for loudness more than sound quality". While I understand your thinking, you should never exceed the limits of whatever you get, otherwise you risk blowing the speakers and end up with no sound at all. Once you start hearing distortion (ie bad sound quality) in the system, it often means you are damaging the speakers. The members of this forum are very unlikely to recommend things that have loudness with bad sound quality.

Hi Steve,

Yes, I can send them back, which I'm almost definitely going to do. I will look into the sub and 10 inch speaker. Thank you for your help.

Nick

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2018, 11:10:25 AM »

Uhm... I think this is a case where one actually should recomend some consumer grade/hifi solution or perhaps a pair of active Behringers.

Find a pair of 10-20 year old e.g. Cervin Vega hifi-speakers with a 15" woofer and an old Peavey CS800 amp or something equivalent. Poney up 50-100 bucks for a dead simple mixer or find a used preamp in your local junkstore.

You don't HAVE to sell a tractor or a sports car when someone comes along asking for pointers on decent bicykles. ;)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »

Uhm... I think this is a case where one actually should recomend some consumer grade/hifi solution or perhaps a pair of active Behringers.

I wouldn't disagree.  Pretty much every gym I've ever been to has gone this route, and if the coverage area in only 30x30ft this is a reasonable option.  After upgrading to my QSC HPRs mentioned further up I sold my "starter system" to a local dance studio who's been using it ever since.  It's nothing fancy but is all they need and gets the job done just fine.  Maybe you (Nick) could find someone nearby looking to do the same thing? 

Nick Martini

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2018, 11:37:35 AM »

I wouldn't disagree.  Pretty much every gym I've ever been to has gone this route, and if the coverage area in only 30x30ft this is a reasonable option.  After upgrading to my QSC HPRs mentioned further up I sold my "starter system" to a local dance studio who's been using it ever since.  It's nothing fancy but is all they need and gets the job done just fine.  Maybe you (Nick) could find someone nearby looking to do the same thing?

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely look into some consumer grade/hifi solutions. Do you have any recommendations for my price point? I wish I knew more about this stuff, but unfortunately I don't.

Nick

Thomas Le

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2018, 11:45:13 AM »

Surprised no one mentioned the Yamaha DBR, a step lower but still good quality powered speakers. Probably pair up with a DXS12 and you got a kickin' setup if you can spring up more cash. The used route would be a pair of Yamaha S115IV or S115V on a 500w Yamaha EMX box mixer.

Nick Martini

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2018, 11:51:37 AM »

Surprised no one mentioned the Yamaha DBR, a step lower but still good quality powered speakers. Probably pair up with a DXS12 and you got a kickin' setup if you can spring up more cash. The used route would be a pair of Yamaha S115IV or S115V on a 500w Yamaha EMX box mixer.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply, do you think going used would be my best place sense I'll probably get more bang for my buck?

Thank you,
Nick

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely look into some consumer grade/hifi solutions. Do you have any recommendations for my price point?

No worries.  Unfortunately I don't know that area of the industry well enough to make a strong recommendation on anything.  I've just seen plenty of gyms, studios, etc., that have a basic Walmart sound system hung up on the wall and that seems to work well enough for them.  I'm sure you could find something there that will fit your budget, probably with money left over.

Buying used can definitely get you better equipment at a good price.  As Tim mentioned though, once you start drifting into prosumer and pro-level gear, it's not user-proof out of the box.  You also kind of have to know what you're shopping for (which is more or less the point of this thread).  Since it hasn't come up yet, I'll throw in a vote for a Mackie SRM450.  You should be able to buy 1 new or a pair used for within your budget...and there's no shortage of used SRM450s looking for a buyer.  Boxes like the aforementioned Yamahas or QSC HPRs will walk all over these, but they're not bad speakers and are very cost effective.  They sound better with a sub or two, but still a better investment than a Walmart DJ system.  Good luck!

Nick Martini

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »

If I were to get a DXR 15 and wanted to add a second one a little further down the line how would I link them?

Thank you,
Nick

Nick Martini

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2018, 12:06:04 PM »

No worries.  Unfortunately I don't know that area of the industry well enough to make a strong recommendation on anything.  I've just seen plenty of gyms, studios, etc., that have a basic Walmart sound system hung up on the wall and that seems to work well enough for them.  I'm sure you could find something there that will fit your budget, probably with money left over.

Buying used can definitely get you better equipment at a good price.  As Tim mentioned though, once you start drifting into prosumer and pro-level gear, it's not user-proof out of the box.  You also kind of have to know what you're shopping for (which is more or less the point of this thread).  Since it hasn't come up yet, I'll throw in a vote for a Mackie SRM450.  You should be able to buy 1 new or a pair used for within your budget...and there's no shortage of used SRM450s looking for a buyer.  Boxes like the aforementioned Yamahas or QSC HPRs will walk all over these, but they're not bad speakers and are very cost effective.  They sound better with a sub or two, but still a better investment than a Walmart DJ system.  Good luck!

Hi Jeff,

Awesome. I think I'll probably stick to one of the PA speakers for now, with that being said I'll definitely look into the Mackie. For now I think I'll aim for a speaker or two and add a sub maybe next year.

Thank you,
Nick

Scott Bolt

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 12:58:43 PM »

If I were to get a DXR 15 and wanted to add a second one a little further down the line how would I link them?

Thank you,
Nick

If you have only 1 speaker, you would need to drive it from a mono source.  Your iphone (as an example) has a stereo output jack (head phones are 2 speakers).  You need to be able to pan the stereo signal to one side for a single speaker.

For a dual speaker setup, the stereo source will have 2 outputs.  You can easily get a cheep cable that will split the stereo jack into 2 mono jacks.  Each one goes to a speaker.

Another method is that you can run a cable from one speaker to the other and share the mono signal.

A DXR10 plus a DXS12 would indeed be a nice setup; however, I think you would have to more than double your budget to get into this system.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 12:58:43 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.