ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High School Football Stadium  (Read 2807 times)

Scott Hibbard

High School Football Stadium
« on: September 09, 2018, 08:42:39 PM »

Dear Forum Members,

This week I completed a high school football stadium, approx. 2,500 seats.  Prior to installation, the school installed a new press box and bleachers.  Normally I like to use the press box for speaker mounting (or at least some) but they were insistent that nothing be installed on the press box.  The lighting poles (225 feet apart) on the home side was my only mounting option. 

With speakers 225 feet apart, time delay catches up with you.  To counter this, I installed (2) Community R.35-3896's (one per pole) on an Adaptive arm and pointed them inwards to the home grandstand.  This did the trick very nicely and allowed me to focus (4) Community R.5-96 MAX speakers (2 per pole) on the front side of the pole to cover the field, end zones and fire across to the visitor side. 

I've installed many Community speakers before, but this was my first exposure to the R.35-3896 and the R.5 MAX.  Let me say, I was more than impressed!  (2) very demure 3896's powered by an Ashly KLR-2000, easily covers the home grandstand.  They are mounted within 20 feet of the stands - but easily cover 100 feet each to blanket the 200 foot bleachers in sound.  As impressive as they were, the R.5-MAX is in a whole other league!  WOW these things are just downright powerful!  Each pair of R.5-MAX's are powered with a KLR-3200 and even with the dbx DSP limiter set at a very conservative 0 db (2 db overshoot) - these things easily fire across the field, and cut over the crowd noise and cheerleaders on opening night Friday.  The school will save thousands of dollars just on graduation night alone by forgoing production rental. 

As I walked the stadium tweaking things here and there, I was pleasantly surprised how many people were commenting on the clarity  "I can finally hear the game" exclaimed someone.  Another person said the game was finally enjoyable now that she could hear.   

All in all, color me very impressed by these Community R.35-3896 and R.5-MAX. 

P.S. Video taken from the visitor bleachers, approx. 240 feet from the speakers, while the school administration had their first listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOlS11ebrng&feature=youtu.be

Thanks,
Scott Hibbard

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
Re: High School Football Stadium
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 12:23:10 PM »

I have installed 5 or 6 stadium systems and have always been impressed with their capabilities.
Next time you should consider installing a couple of r1s or r2s at the scoreboard.  This will pretty much cover the entire field without the delay issues as your sound is "pretty much" coming from the same point.  I have also install r.25s inside in gyms to good results.

Laurence Nefzger

• Kirkland, WA USA
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 12:37:08 PM »

I have installed 5 or 6 stadium systems and have always been impressed with their capabilities.
Next time you should consider installing a couple of r1s or r2s at the scoreboard.  This will pretty much cover the entire field without the delay issues as your sound is "pretty much" coming from the same point.  I have also install r.25s inside in gyms to good results.
Does scoreboard position (endzone) work when the announcer is in a booth at the home grandstand (50 yard line)? I am intrigued by covering both home and away stands and reducing echo but worry about the ability of the announcer to deal with the acoustic delay. I would like to hear from people on this.

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 04:34:34 PM »

Does scoreboard position (endzone) work when the announcer is in a booth at the home grandstand (50 yard line)? I am intrigued by covering both home and away stands and reducing echo but worry about the ability of the announcer to deal with the acoustic delay. I would like to hear from people on this.

I have built a few (maybe 4) football fields with giant MH6040 EV horns on the scoreboard. Eventually, every one of them was replaced with Community R-series speakers on light poles or else atop press box. In each case, this was due to crowd sizes getting larger and larger until the available SPL was insufficient to hear over the crowd.
With scoreboard mounted speakers, there is a delay between speaking into mic and hearing words back. But it is all one delay, unlike the multiple delays caused by mounting them on light poles around the stadium. I advise announcers and anthem-singers to try to ignore the sound from the speakers.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 04:48:38 PM »

I have found the r1s and large speakers can cover the entire stadium from the scoreboard in a normal (non-Texas) sized High School stadium.  As far as announcers dealing with the delay, I have solved the problem in one of two ways, either the announcer uses a headset with head phones, or a pair of small speakers on the pressbox that will mask the main system as well as covered the home team's "money seats".  I suppose you could use booth monitors as well.  As far as the anthem singers, generally they are on the field and would have to deal with the delay anyway.

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »

Scoreboard was not an option as there was not enough time to trench additional conduit.  FWIW there is very little delay with the speakers on the poles in this case because I have two of the 6 speakers providing home bleacher "infill" coverage.  If I turn these infills off, yes you can hear delay between the poles, but the infills very easily mask that.  Check these MAX models out - only the R2 and R6 outrun them.

ScottH
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:52:35 PM by Scott Hibbard »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 24 queries.