ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha 01V96 vs TF3, 01V96 still is a pretty good desk for it's price  (Read 4811 times)

Vanquaillie Simeon

Hi,

In our church we switched from 01V96 to TF3. The 01V96 is about 15 years old, not all the faders were working properly and two preamps were dead. We had a setup with an Behringer ADA8000 to add another 8 preamps, so 20 micpreamps, 4 line inputs, 8 buses, 8 auxes, 8 fader groups, 8 mute groups, 14 outputs, pretty neat.
Previously I had worked with LS9's, and I liked the GEQ's, but I had noticed that the idea of group faders hadn't been implemented, which was a pity, and when comparing the LS9 to the 01V96, in our setup, the LS9 was offering less for a lot more money, as we could fix ringing montiters with the PEQ.
Once our desk started degenerating, I started looking around a bit more, this was around the time the TF series was launched.
In the end we settled for a TF3, which seemed alright on paper (there was a lot to like);
- recallable preamps
- no fader groups, but VCA with spill function
- GEQ on outputs
- Scribble strips
- colour coded faders
Once the thing was installed there were some disappointments;
-To my ears the effects on LS9 are superior to those on the TF3, I remember the difference between 01V96 and 02R effects and running effects on the LS9, and I was surprised that I didn't have the same feeling with the effects on the TF3, alright it doesn't state that the effects are VCM effects, but I sort of hoped they would match the quality
- another disappointment was not having an input patch, I am used to having different EQ settings for the same source, and just muting a channel when the musician switches to another guitar (the multicore is quiet crowed)
- And the next surprise was that you can't patch effects to your channel inserts, because you're channel insert doesn't exist, there is a work around, you can send that channel to an aux 9,10-19,20, where you can patch this effect. This is a odd way of working, and again I think of the 01V96, it just had all those features.

Conclusion: You must think way didn't he buy a new 01V96, well I just wanted recallable preamps to make life easier when switching between different users. And I made the fault of thinking they weren't leaving out any features from older desks...

So check, double check and triple check before you start assuming things will have improved with newer series.

Kind regards,
Simeon

Ps. Yamaha should start implementing 96k on these desks (01v96 has even that).

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber