ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL VT 4887 question.  (Read 725 times)

Al Rettich

JBL VT 4887 question.
« on: August 25, 2018, 08:18:40 pm »

Does anyone know the crossover points for the VT4887? Friend of mine works at a place that has a dozen hung, and he says itís super harsh, but doesnít know if itís the 4Ē or the 2Ē drivers. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: JBL VT 4887 question.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 08:26:40 pm »

Does anyone know the crossover points for the VT4887? Friend of mine works at a place that has a dozen hung, and he says itís super harsh, but doesnít know if itís the 4Ē or the 2Ē drivers.

If it sounds bad it is either a counterfeit (which I have encountered in an installation)  or the wrong processing is being used.

The crossover between mids and highs is passive so there is a possibility of xover component failure but in 10 years we've not had that happen.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Riley Casey

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 11:06:40 am »

Not really a matter of crossover points, its a matter of using the correct processing as specified by JBL and ensuring that the related system amp gains are also set as specced if they aren't doing the processing internally in iTechs amps.  The 4887s are often considered too bright out of the box but 'harsh' sounds like something is set up wrong.  JBL published processor settings for Crown iTechs, BSS366 and Lake processors when the 4887s were  new but with the arrival of the version 5 settings only iTechs could be loaded with the settings.  I'm personally not convinced that the v5 settings are all that big an improvement over the v4 at least on the 4888s but Vertecs across the board don't ever sound 'bad' when set up properly.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 11:06:40 am ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.