ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Communication Problem with my lights  (Read 3651 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Communication Problem with my lights
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 04:15:42 PM »

Absolutely this. I've found this to really come into play with moving heads. Something about their DMX signals (I'm assuming it's the high volume of data being sent for X/Y values) seem to bleed over much easier than static fixtures without a channel buffer. Some lighting software will automatically provision those extra blank spaces when adding multiple fixtures.

I disagree.  In a properly functioning DMX system there is no need to space fixtures to improve reliability.  What I think Dave is referring to is that sometimes it’s useful to address fixtures non-sequentially to better mesh with a console layout or make it easy to remember where fixtures are.

The pan and tilt on a moving light “use” no more data than any other moving light attribute – 1 byte.  Moving lights that use 16bit pan/tilt use 2 channels consisting of 1 byte (8 bits) each.  There should be no bleed or overflow from one byte to the next.  In fact, intelligent lights don’t “use” data at all – they just listen to the broadcast and react accordingly.  What can cause symptoms such as what you describe is when a controller’s transmit speed varies when computing complex commands.  Other issues can also result in dropped bytes, and since the data contained within the DMX packets aren’t indexed, can lead to many problems and erratic behavior.  Usually reducing the DMX speed on the console will help solve these types of problems.

That said, I too have had the occasional fixture that likes to bleed stray voltage into its DMX connection and cause problems with other fixtures.  My experience with Chauvet has been generally good, but I’ve seen this happen with everything from very cheap fixtures to very expensive.  Your mileage will vary.  Good luck!   

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »

I would say to get and use a multiple point distro Optical isolation between the chuavet and the other lights.  also use DMX terminators on each of the strings.  The main string with the lights and the chuavet string. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.