ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi output tone generator  (Read 3083 times)

Ben Pierce

Multi output tone generator
« on: August 20, 2018, 01:17:12 PM »

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums. I work for an audio electronics company. I am trying to find or build a tone generator for testing audio consoles and audio over Ethernet. What I need is something that can send a tone to 64 XLR input channels simultaneously. I'd prefer if it wasn't a computer-based solution because computer audio can glitch and pop which could affect my testing results. My idea is a piece of gear that has one or more analog tone generators that can be fed to DB25 connectors. Does anyone have any advice on how I could do this? Sonifex has an 8 channel unit but it's too pricey. 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Multi output tone generator
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums. I work for an audio electronics company. I am trying to find or build a tone generator for testing audio consoles and audio over Ethernet. What I need is something that can send a tone to 64 XLR input channels simultaneously. I'd prefer if it wasn't a computer-based solution because computer audio can glitch and pop which could affect my testing results. My idea is a piece of gear that has one or more analog tone generators that can be fed to DB25 connectors. Does anyone have any advice on how I could do this? Sonifex has an 8 channel unit but it's too pricey.

Royce has a $200 8 channel distribution amp that is flat and virtually unmeasurable THD.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ben Pierce

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:52:50 PM »

Ok. Something like that could work. It's definitely going in the right direction. So would there be any downside to say running a tone generator into one main distribution amp, then send the 8 outputs to 8 other distribution amps? That way I could have 64 channels.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 06:39:41 PM »

Ok. Something like that could work. It's definitely going in the right direction. So would there be any downside to say running a tone generator into one main distribution amp, then send the 8 outputs to 8 other distribution amps? That way I could have 64 channels.

Rolls RA163.  Input impedance is probably high enough just to parallel the inputs.  You could daisy chain 9 of them if you wish.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 10:05:27 AM »

Simplest way to get a lot of mic level outputs on XLRs would be to secure a few passive press mult boxes and drive them with your tone generator du jour.  Even a phone app tone generator would work although you might want a single four output distribution amp to drive the mults.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »

Do you have any concerns about using the exact same signal on all outputs?  If you end up summing those signals down the line and there’s been any relative delay you’ll end up with comb filtering.

Ben Pierce

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »

Do you have any concerns about using the exact same signal on all outputs?  If you end up summing those signals down the line and there’s been any relative delay you’ll end up with comb filtering.

Yes. This is something that could be an issue. I will be using it to test mixers, so it needs to have the same level of input to every channel at the same time.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 05:03:51 PM »

Unless you are cascading digital devices that will each add latency, where would this different latency come from?

Analog DAs or passive resistive splits will not introduce any latency.

Mac

Ben Pierce

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 09:42:32 AM »

Unless you are cascading digital devices that will each add latency, where would this different latency come from?

Mac

I would prefer an analog setup for this reason. I have a digital solution but it would mean cascading digital mixers.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 10:57:36 PM »

Mac

Could come from all sorts of places on a digital desk.  Just bussing a channel together with another one that’s got some inserts can do it.  Assuming it’s a console that doesn’t do delay compensation of course.  I don’t know exactly how OP is planning to use his setup so I was just making sure he was aware of this possibility. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 10:57:36 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 25 queries.