ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need HELP!!!  (Read 11727 times)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
Re: Need HELP!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 04:54:48 AM »

...We recently started getting some bigger gigs and I felt its time to invest in a PA system.  Unfortunately, I am the only one contributing...

What I would ask myself is...why does the rest of the band NOT think that it is time to invest? They apparently see the band's future differently than you.

My advice, just pay a small sound company to bring sound and lights. Then take the expense off the top before anyone else gets paid. It's the cost of doing business.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:59:11 AM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Jon Brunskill

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2018, 04:58:04 AM »

So, if I get one Yamaha DXR15 now and I just hook hook the one up, would that be sufficient for 5 vocalists?

Yes.

Just as an aside, I'm in a band playing covers, and we made the decision to invest in decent gear. We did it because out of 4-5 cover bands in our area, most of them have pretty poor sound equipment - JBL JRX, or Thumps or ancient dusty cabs with a mismatched power amp and a Phonic mixer.

By simply having a good sound system, and a good but not-crazy expensive lighting rig, the very first gig we played we had comment saying how 'pro' we were and what a great 'show'.

Now we were musically not crash hot that show, but we looked and sounded good and we seemed 'higher end' than other local bands. And that reputation as a high end band has led to us booking quite a few wedding and ball gigs which pay more and are nicer events.

Food for thought.

Joe Pennachio

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2018, 05:42:42 AM »

What I would ask myself is...why does the rest of the band NOT think that it is time to invest? They apparently see the band's future differently than you.

My advice, just pay a small sound company to bring sound and lights. Then take the expense off the top before anyone else gets paid. It's the cost of doing business.

I get what you’re saying, but we aren’t making enough yet to pay a sound guy. They go for $250 a gig and that’s more than double we make individuals.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 07:37:26 AM »

I get what you’re saying, but we aren’t making enough yet to pay a sound guy. They go for $250 a gig and that’s more than double we make individuals.
Umm. There might be a reason for that......
And the question is NOT will the speaker work for 5 vocals.
The question is will that speaker fill the area required, with the volume required.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Joe Pennachio

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2018, 09:43:33 AM »

Umm. There might be a reason for that......
And the question is NOT will the speaker work for 5 vocals.
The question is will that speaker fill the area required, with the volume required.
Chris.

The reason for that is because venues over here don’t pay well.  Also, you didn’t answer your own question.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 09:57:35 AM »

The reason for that is because venues over here don’t pay well.  Also, you didn’t answer your own question.
No Joe. You didn't answer the question.
Any speaker can "handle" 5 vocals.
BUT, will it do so loud enough in the area you need covered?
I can't answer that, You have to try it out, and see for yourself.

As to venue's, that is a very old story.
Back in the day (I haven't done a bar gig in 25 years), a band was willing to pay me a serious chunk of their take just to make sure they got a good result. More people came to see them, they got paid better as the bar took in more cash. They got more popular, and could work every week.
Just sayin, it takes money to make money.
If your mates are not interested in ponying up for a decent PA, maybe they should stick to the garage, and you should look for more serious players.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »

No Joe. You didn't answer the question.
Any speaker can "handle" 5 vocals.
BUT, will it do so loud enough in the area you need covered?
I can't answer that, You have to try it out, and see for yourself.

As to venue's, that is a very old story.
Back in the day (I haven't done a bar gig in 25 years), a band was willing to pay me a serious chunk of their take just to make sure they got a good result. More people came to see them, they got paid better as the bar took in more cash. They got more popular, and could work every week.
Just sayin, it takes money to make money.
If your mates are not interested in ponying up for a decent PA, maybe they should stick to the garage, and you should look for more serious players.
Chris.

100% this .....

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2018, 12:07:19 PM »

So, if I get one Yamaha DXR15 now and I just hook hook the one up, would that be sufficient for 5 vocalists?

Joe, I agree with the others here that this is a great choice. In addition, depending on the size of the area your are covering, at times a single speaker is better than 2 speakers. I won't get into the details, but a good, high quality single speaker is a great place to start.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 06:59:19 PM »

Yeah, your thinking is all backward.

It's all about presentation. Bands who sacrifice their pay in order to get great sound and lights, usually get people's attention and draw crowds sooner or later. Bands who don't, rarely ever get anyone's attention.

The band I work for started out being the lowest paid band in all of their venues. (The same place everyone starts.) However, they played practically for free just to pay me every show. After 1-1/2 years, they are now among the highest paid bands in each of those venues because they are drawing well. They are just a cover band, so why do people like them so much? Because they sound great. Because they hired the best soundman that they could afford and worked diligently to solve all problems. Again, you don't have to be fabulous. You just have to be well packaged and presented.

If you insist that your way works best, then go ahead, buy junk and let some amateur friend run it for you. Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:05:56 PM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 08:13:47 PM »

Yeah, you sure Need HELP!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 08:13:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.