ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need HELP!!!  (Read 11721 times)

Scott Gaines

Re: Need HELP!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 05:09:18 PM »

Mackie Thumps are garbage.
But let's be honest here. This is a gear enthusiast forum, not a cheapy beginners forum.
That's not a slam against you, Joe. It's just that most of the folks here are working sound guys/gals and are really passionate about great gear. I think that's the issue.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2018, 05:14:40 PM »

How are you actually promoting your band.....some guys playing 90's music at the local bar or a true tribute band playing all the hits of the 90's. Do you dress up and look the part?

If your selling yourself as a true pro tribute act to festival promoters ect. they are going to expect some real production to come along with the package.

Like Tim mentioned rent sound and lighting while factoring the cost into your fees.

Scott Gaines

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 05:15:43 PM »

How are you actually promoting your band.....some guys playing 90's music at the local bar or a true tribute band playing all the hits of the 90's. Do you dress up and look the part?

If your selling yourself as a true pro tribute act to festival promoters ect. they are going to expect some real production to come along with the package.

Like Tim mentioned rent sound and lighting while factoring the cost into your fees.
Doesn't sound like they're making that kind of dough.

Joe Pennachio

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 05:26:46 PM »

Doesn't sound like they're making that kind of dough.
We aren’t making a lot yet. We are only making like 100-300 a member, so we are on a budget unfortunately. The fact that I haven’t gotten a single good comment speaks volumes. I will be looking for something else. Can I get suggestions for a 15inch loudspeaker for around $500 each?

Scott Gaines

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 05:56:59 PM »

A lot has happened in pro audio over the last few years. A good 12 will outperform a cheap 15, and your vocals will be cleaner. 
I think you should go to a guitar center and try some of this stuff out. The newer cabs are lighter, louder, and more reliable than ever.
Might be worth your while to save a bit longer and grab a pair of Yammy DXRs or QSC K12s. You'll be glad you did. I have a pair of the K12.2 speakers, and they sound good! I've heard that the DXRs are even better. I just don't like the way they look. Plus I got a super deal on the K12s.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 06:11:45 PM »

A lot has happened in pro audio over the last few years. A good 12 will outperform a cheap 15, and your vocals will be cleaner. 
I think you should go to a guitar center and try some of this stuff out. The newer cabs are lighter, louder, and more reliable than ever.
Might be worth your while to save a bit longer and grab a pair of Yammy DXRs or QSC K12s. You'll be glad you did. I have a pair of the K12.2 speakers, and they sound good! I've heard that the DXRs are even better. I just don't like the way they look. Plus I got a super deal on the K12s.

Overall consensus - including me - is that the Yamaha DXR12 is superior to the QSC K12 ( and even the newer K12.2) at a a better price.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 08:38:09 PM »

Hi Joe,

I am going to depart from the very good advice being given here and recommend 15" speakers instead of 12" speakers.

You can get a used DXR15 for around $500 if you look around.  Here are a couple of examples:

LINK 1

LINK 2

The DXR15 is a very good speaker that can be used without a sub and still provide some pretty convincing bass.  It is also well respected in sound quality and reliability.

I am going to completely agree with others here that the Thumps are one of the worst speakers I have ever worked with.  Not sure I would even use them for a foot-stool at a frat party ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 08:57:20 PM by Mac Kerr »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 09:28:40 PM »

Hi Joe,

I am going to depart from the very good advice being given here and recommend 15" speakers instead of 12" speakers.

You can get a used DXR15 for around $500 if you look around.  Here are a couple of examples:

LINK 1

LINK 2

The DXR15 is a very good speaker that can be used without a sub and still provide some pretty convincing bass.  It is also well respected in sound quality and reliability.

I am going to completely agree with others here that the Thumps are one of the worst speakers I have ever worked with.  Not sure I would even use them for a foot-stool at a frat party ;)

I owned DXR15's and I can agree with Scott - if you don't use subs to start - these have amazing low end.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 09:34:57 PM »

My experience with the Yamaha DXR15 was with a tribute band (I'll take 'Hair Bands of the 80s for $2000, Alex!) that used them for wedge monitors for the bass player and 1 of the guitarists (both sang harmonies as well).  The bass player pretty much matched his SVT rig level in his wedge and stood in the power alley he created unless he was singing.  It became the stage sound I had to mix the show to...  The guitarist didn't use nearly as much of his GTR in his mix but his vocal level was LOUD.  The DXRs stood up to the 2 hour show without overheating or shutting down, not sure if they were into limit (wouldn't surprise me) but damn, they had output.

Color me impressed.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Joe Pennachio

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 04:14:43 AM »

My experience with the Yamaha DXR15 was with a tribute band (I'll take 'Hair Bands of the 80s for $2000, Alex!) that used them for wedge monitors for the bass player and 1 of the guitarists (both sang harmonies as well).  The bass player pretty much matched his SVT rig level in his wedge and stood in the power alley he created unless he was singing.  It became the stage sound I had to mix the show to...  The guitarist didn't use nearly as much of his GTR in his mix but his vocal level was LOUD.  The DXRs stood up to the 2 hour show without overheating or shutting down, not sure if they were into limit (wouldn't surprise me) but damn, they had output.

Color me impressed.
So, if I get one Yamaha DXR15 now and I just hook hook the one up, would that be sufficient for 5 vocalists?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 04:14:43 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.