ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need HELP!!!  (Read 11724 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Need HELP!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 10:39:24 AM »

Yes, I buy used all the time. So, the thumps I’m getting are 15s, so just have vocals going thru it until I get a sub?

Why did you ask for people’s opinions if you already made up your mind that you were getting them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 10:43:25 AM »

Yes, I buy used all the time. So, the thumps I’m getting are 15s, so just have vocals going thru it until I get a sub?

Hi Joe-

I've mixed on Mackie Thuds (the sound they make when they land in the dumpster bin).  Unmitigated shit, they are.  Seriously.  I'm not sure how much worse they are than similarly priced products (and I don't really want to find out the hard way) but my experience was not good at all.

Here are the Keys to the Kingdom - The wrong product at the 'right price' is still the wrong product; and Buy Once, Cry Once.

For all the potential problems of having multiple investors, perhaps the band members need to pony up some cash, too, as they benefit from the PA (there is a thread about this, posted a year or so ago) if you can't swing the purchase.  Also for the occasional gig where you need PA, add that into the fee the band charges the customer and RENT, rather than purchase.  You won't need to store, insure or deal with long term maintenance.  The side benefit of renting is that you can get different systems and evaluate them without making a *purchase decision* you'd later regret.

Take your time before spending your own money.  You owe that to yourself.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 11:10:17 AM »

Joe - listen to the good advice you are getting here - in the end it will save you money and reputation. I have to agree that Mackie Thumps are not good sounding speakers - IMHO probably one of the worst you could get for the money and you will have to pay a few hundred more to get close to a good sound.
However, many times this same question gets asked here and one suggestion that comes up is to purchase only one speaker to start and then add another later. You do NOT have to have 2 speakers to get a good sound. This way you can purchase a good sounding speaker and earn some money before you purchase the second one. One Yamaha DXR12 used would be not much different to the 2 Mackies in price and would blow them away in sound quality.
As Mathias mentioned so far you have probably chosen the musicians and instruments capable of doing the job well so why would you now buy a PA that is inadequate?
The PA is as important as the other equipment you have and anything being amplified through it, whether you decide to use it for vocals only or not, is going to sound like poop if it is not up to par. Why would you do that?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Thomas Le

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 11:34:57 AM »

Mackie Thumps are hot garbage, the market they cater to are the small time DJ's that don't know any better. If you're strapped for cash, have a look at Yamaha DBR/DXR, they easily eat the Thumps. One main reason the Thumps are bad is because they go to Limit too easily and the 1000w is pure marketing.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 11:59:41 AM »

Now that the name thing has been sorted, I'll share my experience with the Mackies...

- Playing some recorded music, they sound bad. They made Guns N Roses sound like the guitars were missing, and I'm not kidding. There's a big scoop in the midrange where all the good stuff ought to live.
- Mixing live through them, with the overall sound put to one side, they're easy to get to the limiters. Sound checking a band with their PA (they'd bought the subs, too), got the vocals just about level with the drums, add a smidge of guitar and the red lights start firing up.

They're not worth the money or the trip to the van to carry them into the venue.

The cheapest new speakers I can recommend in good conscience (and even then, having dismantled and measured them they pull some dirty tricks) are Yamaha DBR range.

You could look into buying used, too. Good equipment lasts forever - look at the number of companies still using Macrotechs.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »

Yamaha DXR12 or DXR15.
Very good with vocal, pretty much bullet proof, look good.
I agree that one good speaker is better than two crappy ones.
Used or B-stock of DXRs would be a budget way of getting into a nice PA.
There's a used DXR12 on ebay for $550 right now.
You are investing in improving your sound and saleability; invest in VALUE, not price.
I have NEVER been sorry for paying more for quality.

Where are you located?
One or our forumers may be close enough to rent you one of the suggested speakers to try.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:57:48 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 04:19:13 PM »

Hey everyone, my name is Joe and Im the guitarist in a 90s Tribute Cover Band.  We recently started getting some bigger gigs and I felt its time to invest in a PA system.  Unfortunately, I am the only one contributing, so I cant spend a ton of money.  The band consists of 5 Vocals, 2 guitarists, bass, keyboard, and drums.

Joe,

if you're the only one contributing I certainly hope that you're requiring a bigger portion of the money for providing the PA.  At a minimum take an extra share.  If you don't get that settled now, the more the band makes the more you'll be getting screwed by the other members who are not contributing to the PA.

I have to wonder what the band is playing thru now if your proposed upgrade is Mackie Thumps?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 04:23:39 PM »

Quality over quantity may be preferred by your customer base... depending.  The band I play in is generally modest SPL wise.  Our goal is "clean & punchy" at "lower SPL", and we seem to be enjoying reasonably high demand because of it.  But it (the seeming popularity) might be because of our diva center stage... or our cool band logo on the kick drum resonator head?

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 04:26:33 PM »

I already knew the Mackie Thumps had a terrible reputation for sound and durability.  Recently my band was hired to support a local country artist who uses the Thumps.  My goodness do they sound BAD!  Buying them would be complete waste of money IMO.  I agree with the buy once, cry once way of doing things, but it's a hard sell to anyone who hasn't learned this lesson.  If you must go cheap/inexpensive, consider looking at Alto speakers.  They sound far superior to the Thumps.

Joe Pennachio

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 04:48:58 PM »

Hey. Actually , both speakers are brand new and never used. I’m getting them from a friend. It’s funny about all the bad comments about them on here. All the reviews I see says they are awesome.
Joe.. don't buy Mackie Thumps. If these are used they have already been blown and that is why they are for sale. I think you will find that the collective opinion here is that you can't support a full band on a pair of cheap speakers, what you need costs $3-5k new retail so the best advice is to rent until you collect enough funds to buy a proper PA system, and then scour the used market for pieces that are suitable. Right now the boxes you are looking at are so far out of the realm of capability that you need it is impossible to overstate how much of a mistake you would make in buying them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 04:48:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.