ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purchasing a Battery and Power INverter to Run My Yamaha PA  (Read 2165 times)

Louis Miller

Hello Forum!

I've not posted before but am in need of some guidance and hoping I might find it here . . .

I am preparing to purchase a deep-cycle battery, along with a pure-sine power inverter, to run a pair of Yamaha MSR100 speakers during outdoor performances. I've done a good deal of research but I'm concerned that I may not full understand the power consumption of the speakers.  Both are 100w speakers, and the specs say that they each have a power consumotion of 70w.  At a total of 140 watts, I caculated that the speakers consume ~ 12 amps, and that a 50 amp-hour battery could therefore power these speaks for ~ 4 hours (without factoring in % efficiency of the power inverter).

Is 70w correct, or is it only the "idle" power consumption?  Do they draw more than 140 watts when in use? I'll need to know this in order to purchase the right battery and the right power inverter.  Thanks so much if any one you can offer some input!

-Lou
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:39:42 PM by Louis Miller »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Purchasing a Battery and Power Inverter to Run My Yamaha P
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »

Hello Forum!

I've not posted before but am in need of some guidance and hoping I might find it here . . .

I am preparing to purchase a deep-cycle battery, along with a pure-sine power inverter, to run a pair of Yamaha MSR100 speakers during outdoor performances. I've done a good deal of research but I'm concerned that I may not full understand the power consumption of the speakers.  Both are 100w speakers, and the specs say that they each have a power consumotion of 70w.  At a total of 140 watts, I caculated that the speakers consume ~ 12 amps, and that a 50 amp-hour battery could therefore power these speaks for ~ 4 hours (without factoring in % efficiency of the power inverter).

Is 70w correct, or is it only the "idle" power consumption?  Do they draw more than 140 watts when in use? I'll need to know this in order to purchase the right battery and the right power inverter.  Thanks so much if any one you can offer some input!

-Lou

You will need to use your real first and last name to post on these forums.  Your posts will be locked otherwise.  Additionally, there is no need to post in multiple forums.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Louis Miller

Re: Purchasing a Battery and Power Inverter to Run My Yamaha P
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »

Thanks for letting me know about the rules here, sorry for not takin closer notice.

John Lackner

Re: Purchasing a Battery and Power INverter to Run My Yamaha PA
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 11:01:16 AM »

Hello Forum!

-Lou

You can't always go by specs when it comes to "real world" power consumption of speakers. The more work they have to do, the more volume they have to put out, the more current they draw. One way to find out your power needs would be to power up the PA through a Killawatt power meter - run your typical event audio at typical volume levels for awhile, and observe the meter. Then you can do your amp-hour calculations. I used to run a small DJ setup with two powered speakers and a controller with a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter with the inverter never maxing out.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 11:50:47 AM »

This has been discussed RECENTLY.  The Info Is Out There.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 12:41:01 PM »

This has been discussed RECENTLY.  The Info Is Out There.
Yes, though the OP has not shared in the discussion ;^).

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,167895.msg1552026.html#new

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 01:36:14 PM »

Yes, though the OP has not shared in the discussion ;^).

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,167895.msg1552026.html#new

Posting before coffee, I was. ☕
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 01:36:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.