ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion for 2) lights to light stage for wash  (Read 3106 times)

Nick Andrews

Suggestion for 2) lights to light stage for wash
« on: August 17, 2018, 03:07:38 PM »

Hi everyone,
)
So I am not familiar with lighting as much as audio , so I am seeking a good suggestion for some Compact lights that I can put on top of my rcf nxl24 boxes to light up the stage area for the bands I work with.

The NXL24 boxes have a 1 3/8 inch pole cup recepticle on the top that I can rig something to mount on with an O clamp.

Needs to be fairly light, compact, but high output / coverage.

Thoughts ?

thanks in advance! :)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Suggestion for 2) lights to light stage for wash
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 04:01:39 PM »

Hi Nick.  Using 1 fixture per side is asking a lot.  I'm also not a huge fan of putting lights on top of speakers for a number of reasons.  All of that said, you presumably need something with a wide coverage angle.  How high and far will the unit be from the talent?  Knowing nothing else, I vote for an Elation Fuze Par Z175.  Plenty of output.  Good luck!

Nick Andrews

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 04:18:25 PM »

Hi Nick.  Using 1 fixture per side is asking a lot.  I'm also not a huge fan of putting lights on top of speakers for a number of reasons.  All of that said, you presumably need something with a wide coverage angle.  How high and far will the unit be from the talent?  Knowing nothing else, I vote for an Elation Fuze Par Z175.  Plenty of output.  Good luck!

thanks for the suggestion !

I know i'm asking alot but this is mainly for small club and or wedding bands. Generally 10 piece bands and very very small footprint. Id say approx height will be 6.5 feet up in the air, and musicians basically are crammed in between the sub / main stack which are generally 25 - 50 feet apart. Depth of most stage areas are around 12 - 16 feet.

These look interesting , and I dig that they have powercon.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 06:57:12 PM »

thanks for the suggestion !

I know i'm asking alot but this is mainly for small club and or wedding bands. Generally 10 piece bands and very very small footprint. Id say approx height will be 6.5 feet up in the air, and musicians basically are crammed in between the sub / main stack which are generally 25 - 50 feet apart. Depth of most stage areas are around 12 - 16 feet.

I wouldn't consider a 50ft wide coverage area to be small.  The problem you're going to run into is that with only 1 light per side, you're going to have dramatic differences in intensities over the width of the stage, no ability to have gradients in your washes, and poor control of shadow.  And that's all assuming you can get a light with a wide enough coverage angle to fill the whole thing.  For the same amount of money, you can buy 8 decent smaller units and use 4 per side.  This will give you much better control of the light and more deployment options.  Is there any reason why this must only be 1 fixture per side?  Also, what's your budget, and why can't you get the lights any higher?  45 degrees up and out from the talent is usually best, but only 6.5ft up will give your wash a very flat look to it.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 12:24:28 AM »

To echo what Jeff said, 50' wide is very wide. I do work at a 2000 seat proscenium arch theater that is 44' wide at the chalk line. Broadway touring musicals are often designed to fit a 40' wide stage.

Is your wash light your front lighting?  Ideally front lighting comes from 45 degrees above and 45 degrees to either side of the focus point. 30-60 degrees above is workable. Too low and you will just be blinding the talent with the lights. 6.5' (2 meters) is not very much above eye level.

If your venues have adequate front light, then your wash lights can be used for a warm color/cool color look on stage and on the talent. But just one light per side is not going to give you an even wash of color.  More lights from the same position will let you focus each one separately, and control the intensity independently for each as well, which will also help smooth out the wash.

"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 06:28:02 PM »

I just use (4) Par 38 cans with flood incandescent bulbs (up to 150w). I had a steel bracket made to mount them on my speakers, and they thread in to the fly points using large thumbscrews. Very cheap, but they work.

Kevin Olson

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 01:07:31 AM »

I’ve been trying to rig some lights on top of our mains like that. Where did you get the brackets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Garris

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »

I’ve been trying to rig some lights on top of our mains like that. Where did you get the brackets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very fortunate to have a metal fabricator that I do business with on my day job. I measured and drew up the part, made from 1/8" flat steel. It's welded in one place, and has welded M10 nuts on it. I use the same thumbscrew to attach the 2 lights, and a 3rd thumbscrew to attach them to my speaker cab's. Before I had these I would mount each light separately, but I really prefer the added height of this setup.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 09:00:00 AM »

Are you looking for RGB fixtures or white fixtures?

2 pars would be enough to get some light on stage, but not light everyone well. You're running up against the iron triangle in your request (small, high output, lightweight), so getting all three of those is very difficult (heck, even two of them). Like others have said, for the size stage you're talking about, 4 fixtures would be a good starting point.

For dedicated white pars, we've been using the ADJ TW12 with really good results. They're not small (almost 12" square) but output a lot of light and have cool, warm and amber LEDs to give you a more natural lighting effect than RGB fixtures can offer. 3-4 of those should work nicely, we used 3 to evenly cover a 40ft section of stage for a medical panel where there were 8 panelists spread across several tables. One thing you would probably need are diffusers, at the distance you're talking about they'd act more like spots than washes.

If you're looking for RGB fixtures, some bar fixtures laid across the ground in front of the band, or hung vertically to either side of the stage would be a good unobtrusive way to splash some color up there every now and again.

For mounting them, I'd just get a couple lighting T-Bars and call it quits. You can mount several lights to each one and place them wherever you'd like to get the best effect rather than having to compromise with your speaker placement.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 10:52:12 AM »

If you do the pole cup on the top and add a light above the speaker to help with getting the light on stage.  If the light is to close to the top of the speaker it will prevent light from getting down so you will need to make sure the height of the llight is not blocking the light as you point down some to cover the stage as the cone of light expands out from the light.  Speaker can be a barn door and prevent the bottom of the cone from getting past the speaker. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 10:52:12 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.