ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Value HDMI to SDI (And SDI to HDMI) Video Converter  (Read 6616 times)

Phil Lewandowski

Good Value HDMI to SDI (And SDI to HDMI) Video Converter
« on: August 17, 2018, 10:50:01 AM »

Hi all!

I'm an audio guy that's slowly started to get into prosumer video lately.  I'm in the market for a few good value HDMI to SDI, and SDI to HDMI converters. (I normally run dual screens for worship music lyrics, videos and such.)  Pretty much I'm coming HDMI out of computers and want to do SDI runs to projector, but then the level of projectors I'm working with do not have SDI input, so I have to get back to HDMI.

I've worked a lot with the DataVideo Converters, but at $300 a pop that would add up real quickly. 

What are the thoughts on the Black Magic Design converters?  Especially the bi-directional ones like the "Blackmagic Design Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI" or "Blackmagic Design Mini Converter UpDownCross HD"?

Are there better ones for the money I should be looking at?

Thank you so much!

PS - As a side question, if anyone has a source for good quality SDI cables that are value-priced, that would be helpful too!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:53:51 AM by Phil Lewandowski »

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Good Value HDMI to SDI (And SDI to HDMI) Video Converter
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 11:10:02 AM »

I haven't used the specific models you mention but I've used BlackMagic SDI / HDMI converters and SDI splitters before with no issues. I have some in an installation that have been working flawlessly for a couple of years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy BlackMagic products again.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 11:16:24 AM »

We use both BMD and Decimator brands.  Decimator has been flawless (1 bad power supply over 5 years), BMD overall is very hit or miss.  Had one small project with 25% DOA.  If you can afford a better brand - do so.  BMD is the Behringer of video - it's worth using in some applications. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:34:59 AM »

I've been using the entry level BMD micro converters (the $56 jobs) - [disclaimer: they only get used a few times a year, so if they fail quickly over repeated use, I can't speak to that.] They have been solid for me. Keep in mind they block HDCP-encrypted signals, so you'll need to strip that from the signal if present.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

josh allman

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »

Yeah, the blackmagic mini converters have been really good to me.

It’s surprising to see how much BMD is being used in professional production.

They don’t have the same quality of support, and if you do have a problem, the answer is usually to send you a new one. With that said, I got an ATEM overnighted for $40 on an advance replacement and they didn’t even ask for my card.

Their switchers don’t do conversion so that’s why they are affordable but otherwise work well.

Sort of like Behringer, I wanted to pick out why BMD is a bad investment but it does too many things well enough that I can’t.

I think their products are a great place to start. You’ll get your money out of them and it will get you going for a lot less than other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »

Hi all!

I'm an audio guy that's slowly started to get into prosumer video lately.  I'm in the market for a few good value HDMI to SDI, and SDI to HDMI converters. (I normally run dual screens for worship music lyrics, videos and such.)  Pretty much I'm coming HDMI out of computers and want to do SDI runs to projector, but then the level of projectors I'm working with do not have SDI input, so I have to get back to HDMI.

I've worked a lot with the DataVideo Converters, but at $300 a pop that would add up real quickly. 

What are the thoughts on the Black Magic Design converters?  Especially the bi-directional ones like the "Blackmagic Design Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI" or "Blackmagic Design Mini Converter UpDownCross HD"?

Are there better ones for the money I should be looking at?

Thank you so much!

PS - As a side question, if anyone has a source for good quality SDI cables that are value-priced, that would be helpful too!

Decimator MD-LX.  It’s cheap, quality, and bi-directional or can be configured for pass through.  As a bonus if it’s serving a device with a USB port (most TVs now) you can power it off the USB port and ditch the wall wart.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 12:00:49 PM »

Yeah, the blackmagic mini converters have been really good to me.

It’s surprising to see how much BMD is being used in professional production.

They don’t have the same quality of support, and if you do have a problem, the answer is usually to send you a new one. With that said, I got an ATEM overnighted for $40 on an advance replacement and they didn’t even ask for my card.

Their switchers don’t do conversion so that’s why they are affordable but otherwise work well.

Sort of like Behringer, I wanted to pick out why BMD is a bad investment but it does too many things well enough that I can’t.

I think their products are a great place to start. You’ll get your money out of them and it will get you going for a lot less than other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMD is a bad choice when it craps out mid show in a rather visable way.  I’ve experienced it.  That’s why everyone I work with has moved to decimators.  It’s why I won’t put BMD in mission critical signal paths.

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »

Thanks all for the great input thus far!  I am definitely more of a buy once, cry once type guy, though I take value into large consideration.  So it sounds like with that in mind, the Decimator MD-LX may be the way to go.

With that said, I was looking at a BMD that could take 1 HDMI input and output it to up to 2 SDI outputs: BMD Micro Converter HDMI to SDI (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1247783-REG/blackmagic_design_convcmic_hs_micro_converter_hdmi_to.html?sts=pi)

This is so that I can take 1 HDMI output from a computer, and use the 2 SDI outputs to run to the screen on each side from the same box.   It didn't seem like the MD-LX could do that?  Is there another affordable Decimator product that could do this, or is there another good way to do this affordably but also reliably?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:26:36 PM by Phil Lewandowski »

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 01:16:26 PM »

Decimator MD-LX.  It’s cheap, quality, and bi-directional or can be configured for pass through.  As a bonus if it’s serving a device with a USB port (most TVs now) you can power it off the USB port and ditch the wall wart.

This one. I have only 4 in my inventory at the moment, but they've been as rock solid as an SM58.

To answer the BMD question: IMHO BMD is the video equivalent of Behringer. Good enough to get you started, but not something you want to bet your reputation on. I'm transitioning from BMD to Decimator and Datavideo boxes as fast as I can.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »

Double posted, sorry. Mods, Can be deleted.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.