ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another frustrating projector topic  (Read 3192 times)

Jason Tubbs

• Rochester, NY, USA
Another frustrating projector topic
« on: August 07, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »

Sorry in advance.

I'm helping my sister set up a new office/training space for the non-profit she runs, and am in need of a projector. She'll be projecting Powerpoint and training videos where the message, not the cinematic experience, is the focus. Very short throw of under 14', projection area of between 70"-96". The room isn't particularly dark, but blackout drapes could be used if absolutely necessary. I'm thinking that WXGA will be a sufficient native resolution given the application, but as long as a coherent image can be displayed at 16:9, I'll take any recommendations. It will either be on a high shelf on the back wall or (properly) hung from the ceiling, so keystone correction is required. Wireless connection is pretty much a necessity.

The frustrating part is the hard budget of $500. All I am finding are no-name home cinema/gaming projectors. They supposedly all meet the spec, but who knows how long they'll last or if they actually do perform as described. I'm not bothering with anonymous online reviews.

I understand "buy once, cry once," and so does my sister, but the board of directors does not. Is this an exercise in futility?

Stephen Beatty

Re: Another frustrating projector topic
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 02:36:02 PM »

Hello Jason, You can look at several sites for decent deals on projectors. B&H Photo Video, Projector People or even the manufacturers themselves have under $500.00 units. As a non-profit they might get a decent discount from Epson as they have special educational pricing. Other vendors might do that too.

Here is a quick find that would fit those basic needs. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1350606-REG/benq_mw526ae_wxga_3300_lumens.html

It is a BenQ model MW526AE, WXGA, 3300 lumens, 4500 hour lamp at standard setting, 2 HDMI (1.4 ver., HDCP compliant), 2 VGA (for us old folk) and it will fit the projection distance/size need.
 I have used BenQ projectors before and they are very good at their price point.

edited for: ooops I missed the wireless connectivity part. That will make under $500 very tough. And running some cat cable and using an inexpensive HDMI-over-Cat extender from Monoprice would be the easiest connection that might cost less than a reliable wireless one.

Edited for: ok Found this one. Epson EX7240 Pro. MSRP at Epson of $599.00. They might get special pricing if they call Epson.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:49:33 PM by Stephen Beatty »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 03:52:25 PM »

Might find a used one?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 05:58:43 PM »

I got mine on eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 12:28:00 AM »

Is this an exercise in futility?

My family is a "non-profit" entity, and I'd like a new Toyota truck for $2k.  Because I want it, someone else has to make it happen!

The more budget vs expectations are out of sync - the more time is wasted searching for something that might possibly sort-of work for a short time, before costing more in the end. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jason Tubbs

• Rochester, NY, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 11:57:42 PM »

Thanks all for the comments.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 01:57:34 AM »

projection area of between 70"-96". The room isn't particularly dark
At that screen size and price get a TV.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Jason Tubbs

• Rochester, NY, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 06:43:13 PM »

Edited for: ok Found this one. Epson EX7240 Pro. MSRP at Epson of $599.00. They might get special pricing if they call Epson.

We got them to sign off on an EX7260 (same price). I just finished the install and it's perfect. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »

Nice to hear it worked out for you.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.