ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer XR18 with X-Touch compact controller, any experience?  (Read 5330 times)

Riley Casey

Re: Behringer XR18 with X-Touch compact controller, any experience?
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 11:25:20 am »

4 of 4

Dan Abushanab

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 06:14:07 pm »

With the help of Riley, Kevin, and all the other nice people on this board I have been able to get the XTC programmed and controlling the XR-18!  I'll document for others while this is all fresh in my mind.

Hi, I'm also looking for the program/settings to control the XR-18 with an X-Touch Compact...

First, as Kevin mentioned, the XR-18 is pretty limited in what it can do from a MIDI perspective.  It basically just sends and receives on channels 1, 2, and 3, using MIDI Continuous Controller (CC) values 0-31.  Generally speaking Channel 1 is for setting levels (0-127), Channel 2 is for muting/unmuting, and Channel 3 is for panning.  The one more advanced thing it can do is use Program Change (Prg Chg) on Channel 1 to recall snapshots 1-64 stored in the mixer.

There's an A and a B layer that you can program separately, but I was able to get everything I wanted to do on one layer so I just programmed them both the same.

To program:  Run the X-Touch program on a PC, then load a .bin file if you have one you want to use.  The one I'm using is here - https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApLgfvqKKgvyhOoGAY_BokzHxXLEIg?e=F1bbmC

• Connect the USB cable between the XTC and your laptop, and disconnect the midi cables between the XTC and the XR-18.
  • Load in the .bin file
  • Make sure the global channel is set to off
  • Dump it to the XTC (Layer A or B or both)
  • Disconnect the USB cable
  • Re-connect the MIDI cables

Make sure the XR-18 is set to TX and RX MIDI on the DIN option, and you should be good to go.

My program is set as follows:

Inputs:

1-8 on the faders and inputs 9-16 on encoders 9-16.  There are mute buttons under each fader for channels 1-8, and mute buttons for channels 9-16 by pushing the encoder knob itself.

Aux input 17-18 is on encoders 7 and 8 (twinned)

Outputs:
The main out is on the main fader, with the mute below it.
Aux outputs 1-6 are on encoders 1-6, with mutes using the buttons directly below.

The one thing I still have to try is recalling a snapshot to "sync" all the XTC controls to the mixer.  The way it is now you have to touch a control knob or fader to get it and the XR-18 in sync.  But I think I'll be able to hit one currently-unused button on the XTC to recall a snapshot and then have everything lined up as a result.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 01:54:12 pm by Dan Abushanab »

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2020, 09:48:22 am »

How about the setting for the Global CH in X-Touch edit?

Dan Abushanab

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 01:55:33 pm »

Modified my write up above to cover this - I set the global channel to off.
How about the setting for the Global CH in X-Touch edit?

Seth Udoll

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 03:10:32 pm »

This isn't helpful at all in getting the Compact to work well.  But, I just thought I'd mention that I have a standard X-Touch and have it set up with a WiFi dongle which connects to my home or show network and it works pretty darn well with either the XR18 or M32C that I use.  Much less headache than all this. 

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 03:20:42 pm »

This isn't helpful at all in getting the Compact to work well.  But, I just thought I'd mention that I have a standard X-Touch and have it set up with a WiFi dongle which connects to my home or show network and it works pretty darn well with either the XR18 or M32C that I use.  Much less headache than all this.

Yeah, the standard X-Touch is plug and play for any XR18 or X/M32 applications. There are even overlays available online to show you what all the controls are mapped to. The compact [and mini] are categorically NOT. Which is kinda super frustrating, but there it is.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 03:24:58 pm »

Yup, the Compact is being asked to do things outside its ecosystem.  The kludge seems to work.

I'm not sure how expensive the Compact has gotten, but the I paid about half the current rate for my X-Touch 2 years ago.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2020, 05:03:44 am »

Yeah, the standard X-Touch is plug and play for any XR18 or X/M32 applications.

It probably is now. When I got mine I had to download the firmware to allow it to control mixers as it was originally just a DAW controller.

Steve.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2020, 05:36:43 pm »

It probably is now. When I got mine I had to download the firmware to allow it to control mixers as it was originally just a DAW controller.

Steve.

True. You do need the latest firmware.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2020, 05:36:43 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.